what to wear for new salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenny2

Reaction score
Hi guys i was just wondering what you thought. I am openining a beauty room as many of you no. Personally i would prefer to wear some soft materield white trousers and a white t shirt with my logo on and some nice sandles. But after speaking with the people who own the shop, they said you can not take it off once u have put it on, and first images count. So the question is, do i wear the typical salon clothes, or wear something that is comfortable but nice mmmm decissions x

Hi, Im in the process of opening a salon with a friend. I think we are going to get our uniforms made so they are unique and comfy. i cant stand beauty uniforms they never fit correctly.

I personally wear a salon tunic because I think it looks more professional. Also, I strongly believe that when people come for beauty/massage treatments, they are 'buying' into the whole experience, that it is something different from their everyday life. so, if I was greeted by someone wearing a t-shirt/polo shirt or casual attire, I would really feel short changed.

I'll give you an example:

I was in my local CO-OP, the therapist called in to pick up some millk, she had her tunic on, to me, she looked professional and dare I say it - cool. I thought it looked something to aspire too, and I'm IN THE TRADE, so hopefully to the public it looked even better.

I personally wear a salon tunic because I think it looks more professional. Also, I strongly believe that when people come for beauty/massage treatments, they are 'buying' into the whole experience, that it is something different from their everyday life. so, if I was greeted by someone wearing a t-shirt/polo shirt or casual attire, I would really feel short changed.

I'll give you an example:

I was in my local CO-OP, the therapist called in to pick up some millk, she had her tunic on, to me, she looked professional and dare I say it - cool. I thought it looked something to aspire too, and I'm IN THE TRADE, so hopefully to the public it looked even better.

Totally agree with this, as my personal opinion. I am only training just now, but even before I thought about going down this route I always thought how nice the techs looked in the salons, and they all wore tunics. When I go to the spa, they wear black tunics and trousers with sandals/flip flops (espa uniform) and I think it looks so nice, and as said it looks professional. I have my waxing done by a lady who works in a salon, but I go to her house, so she is in normal clothes and it feels so different even though she is still every bit the professional.

i agree it looks more professional, i'm going mobile in a few weeks and going to wear a salon tunic, plus i don't have the problem what to wear just got to decide what colours because i wear white at college now and it shows the slightest mark:)..xx

I have a brown assymetrical tunic and wear it with brown trouseurs and slip on shoes.
I also have a black tunic with a zip up the middle, I customise it by wearing a little strappy t-shirt underneath and don't do the zip up as much.

I am about to order a sandy coloured one for the summer.

Black and white are boring and 'normal' lilac and pale blue makes me think that you are from a local nursing home/hospital.

Although my "uniform" is not a traditional salon one it looks (so my clients tell me) very professional. I wear a mink coloured 3/4 sleeve v necked jumper, and chocolate 3/4 length troosers - both from M & S. It also complements the colour of my towels, which are chocolate brown. Can you tell I do a lot of Fake Bake?!

:green:

I also think that the salon tunic looks so much more professional - your first impression will count with your clients and if you are casually dressed in a tshirt I have to say that I wouldn't be very impressed. I used to have my own rented room and I had different colours of uniforms. If I had a lot of nail enhancement bookings in on a particular I made sure I didn't wear black as the dust/powders made a right mess so I'd wear a lighter colour. There are so many gorgeous outfits out there now so take a look around and I'm sure you'll find something that is comfy and cool looking :)

Does anyone know if you can buy 100% cotton tunics or at least 75%?
I dont feel comfortable in tunics made from polyester. This fabric makes me feel hot and uncomfortable.
Thanks,
Anca

Tunics are uncomfortable esp when doing massage and expensive esp. when you have to replace them cause they get grubby from oils and other stuff... personally i would have my own style, pair of salon trousers and a nice tshirt (you can even buy nice ones from sainsbury's) or special made with your company name printed on them and trainers or salon cloggs. Calla's outfit sounds nice and im sure it looks smart. IMHO of course

I wear my uniform with pride (which I'm sure you all do too) it represents a lot of things, not only the treatment aspect but an element of respect plays a part too. I agree that the tunics never fit what ever size you are, but I have also gained a few customers through the sight of my uniform.

I wear my uniform with pride (which I'm sure you all do too) it represents a lot of things, not only the treatment aspect but an element of respect plays a part too. I agree that the tunics never fit what ever size you are, but I have also gained a few customers through the sight of my uniform.

Totally agree! I have even been stopped in the street because of my uniform and ended up with new clients.:lol:

I personally think that if you want to be taken seriously as a professional then you have to make the effort to look professional. In this industry the look that clients expect is a tunic. They don't have to be boring, uncomfortable or expensive! There are plenty of companies out there that sell good, stylish tunics and you can get them embroidered with your business logo to for a smarter look.

Hi There:)

I totally agree that a salon uniform looks stunning and very professional. I think that alot of companies have now taken it on board that the older style tunics were very uncomfortable:irked: There are definately alot more choice of styles and fabrics out there now, so it may be worth a good look through the internet sites before purchasing.
Good Luck with everything:hug:

Hi guys i was just wondering what you thought. I am openining a beauty room as many of you no. Personally i would prefer to wear some soft materield white trousers and a white t shirt with my logo on and some nice sandles. But after speaking with the people who own the shop, they said you can not take it off once u have put it on, and first images count. So the question is, do i wear the typical salon clothes, or wear something that is comfortable but nice mmmm decissions x

hiya, i think a beauty uniform always looks professional, when a client walks in the door first impressions count a great deal, i have just invested in a couple of new tunics and have had lots of lovely comments on how nice they look, i got mine on line from Buttercups and they fit great, the measurments they give online are very accurate, as i have ordered ones before and they have been way too big and i have had to pay to get them altered, hope this helps

liz xx

Hi

I'm mobile and always wear salon tunic and trousers for nails, mani's and pedi's and single tans. The only time this ever changes, is for tanning parties. For this I were black vest top and trousers - because you get very hot doing tans one after another!

Hi,
I wear salon tunic, I think it is so much more professional. I have baby pink (My fave) & lilac for doing nails, and have a chocolate brown for when I am doing a spray tan. But don't always have time to change.
Once I must have turned too quick and had spray tan liquid in a jug, ready to change the colour over for a different client, dipped my very long pony tail into the liquid, but didn't know til much later, when someome asked what was the brown stain on my bum, it is a long pony tail. Luckily it washed out, but it did look funny. So now I am far more careful.
Remember first impressions last, so be comfortable, but look extra professional, Buttercups range is lovely.
Good luck & lotsa luv x :hug:

I had this dilemma when I opened my salon 2 and a half years ago. Did I go with the 'professional look' or did I go for comfort and a more relaxed approach?
My mum advised the 'professional look' and I'm glad I listened to her. I had a lot of people who came for a 'nosey' and I'm sure that my uniform went a long way to dispel any fears/doubts/concerns that I was serious about my new venture.
I've also got a black T-shirt (with my name in diamante) which I sometimes wear in the summer as it's cooler.

I went to a salon once and the therapist came into the treatment room wearing a football shirt.

I never went back!

white linen trousers and a black florence roby tunic never fails xx

i'm going mobile soon and i was gonna wear my college uniform which cost me a bomb, 2 full uniforms for £95, but i put it on the other day and realised how uncomfortable it was....i really want to wear a tunic but i cant find any comfy ones.

can any one help....a cotton one would be best. plus i need it to be white as i am only doing nails.

i was thinking of getting a 3/4 sleeve tee and putting my logo on it but i would really prefer a tunic its so much more proffesional.

Latest posts

Back