What would u do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenny2

Reaction score
Hi guys, for most of u that have followed my threads i am a new home based salon and have been here roughly 2 months may be a bit longer. I offer a home based service and a mobile sevice so can attract both sets of clients. I offer all waxing services apart from men, peds, mani, faciels massage, poppits, and the new minx.
I roughly have 40 ladies on my books and have been averaging 4 ladies per week, some times more some times less. This last two weeks i have been dead, to the point were i have had no one at all. Then this week i have one lady that is having treatments at her home over three days as is getting married. One new lady tonight that is coming to me through word of mouth, and then a new lady that is a mobile lady through poster advertising. My total week comes to 100 pound , then obviously i have to take my deductions off for product etc.
Any way because i had no one for two weeks i decided maybe i ought to apply for some jobs, and have an interview on wed. The hours are quite long 9-30 till 7-30 wed and thurs and then sat 9-30 till 2-00. This would bring me in after tax roughly 130 pound per week, obviously i also have the children to consider and who would fetch them and school holidays and so fourth. The question is what do i do. Do i get out there and advertise some more or go for this job and have a regular income. Things are tight at the min and with christmas fast approaching i could do with the regular money, but at the same time want to make my business work. What do u guys think , what would u do, hang in there or go and work for some onexxxx

If you really want to do what you do, then stick to it. It's hard, it's so damn hard at the beggining. I'm in business for a year and so, and it started to grow only in the last few months. Before that I was almost hungry ;( I was so depressed, but can you really expect to gather 70 - 100 regulars in short time? No... at least I couldnt.

Then I thought, just like you, let's do something else, till my clients come. So I went to another salon and did nails and sales (cosmetics).

But that was so time and mind consuming that I did not have time or strenght to do my clients anymore, I couldn't fit them in when they wanted, and it was a mess. So I got back (I'm home based) and stick to it.

This will sound crazy, but you HAVE TO BELIEVE, even if it doesn't look promissing, and no one calls... So if you believe, it will come. I did, and people started to come out of the blue! Just get up in the morning and say: Today is a great day! Today is money making day! Even if there's no one booked. Prepare everything just like someone is coming! Put on some make up, wear your nice clothes and smile, smile!

And DON'T DISCOUNT! It makes it even worse! I raised my prices and I got even more clients!

And on "empty days", when I had no clients, I dragged in my neighbours, my relatives, anyone who would put up with me (not clients, don't do them for free), and did their nails, waxed them or did pedicures, whatever, because I was busy and that felt great. At the end of the day, I was happy because I DID SOMETHING. And that was great practice too.

Confidence does wonders.

There are also geeks who do other jobs + nails, and can manage both. I couldn't. But let's see if one of them says something, that would be good to hear also, because that's even harder.

:hug:

Hi guys, for most of u that have followed my threads i am a new home based salon and have been here roughly 2 months may be a bit longer. I offer a home based service and a mobile sevice so can attract both sets of clients. I offer all waxing services apart from men, peds, mani, faciels massage, poppits, and the new minx.
I roughly have 40 ladies on my books and have been averaging 4 ladies per week, some times more some times less. This last two weeks i have been dead, to the point were i have had no one at all. Then this week i have one lady that is having treatments at her home over three days as is getting married. One new lady tonight that is coming to me through word of mouth, and then a new lady that is a mobile lady through poster advertising. My total week comes to 100 pound , then obviously i have to take my deductions off for product etc.
Any way because i had no one for two weeks i decided maybe i ought to apply for some jobs, and have an interview on wed. The hours are quite long 9-30 till 7-30 wed and thurs and then sat 9-30 till 2-00. This would bring me in after tax roughly 130 pound per week, obviously i also have the children to consider and who would fetch them and school holidays and so fourth. The question is what do i do. Do i get out there and advertise some more or go for this job and have a regular income. Things are tight at the min and with christmas fast approaching i could do with the regular money, but at the same time want to make my business work. What do u guys think , what would u do, hang in there or go and work for some onexxxx

hi jenny hun, i am in a simular situation and have been doing nails on and off for the last 5 years and now work from home but soon getting a treatment room in a hairdressers where they take a percentage of what i make rather than paying rent, working in a salon is great specially when you have a garenteed income, but you do have kids like my self its hard to work round that unless you find somewhere that is willing to work around you.

If you are already set up at home i would give it a real good go as this is the perfect time PARTY SEASON coming up christmas do`s and lots of people go out this time of the year and its a great oppurtunity to build your clientel up, do loads more advertising concentrate on your local area first and find any free advertising, put adverts in shop windows, post offices and drop a few leaflets in at you local libary and hand some out to mums at the school gates if you have a local school near by.
or ring round some hairdressers, tanning salons and see if they have a table or room to rent or ask if they do it on commision base rather than rent that way if you have a bad week then you wont have to pay out rent only give them a percentage of what you make.

let us no how you get on hun stick with it though, you will get there in the end:)

im in the same position at the moment...just set up my own place at home and waiting for phone to ring with clients. Its so depressing sometimes... i just want a chance to prove my skills. :(...but we have to keep going and try try try...once you get them through your door then its a bit easier...just the initial obstacles.

Jen, don't give up. You've been through so much and are a talented therapist. It's just hard at the start. Things will get better. As cro-mari said, you need to believe in yourself. Think positive and positive things will happen. I know it sounds cliched, but it's true.

It's just my opinion, but if you take on another job, while trying to grow your business and look after your kids, you will become frazzled and worn out. And remember that employers always demand more that what they let on. You need to ask yourself, could you really cope with it?

If the salon is your dream, then stick with it. Search some older threads about how to get clients through the door - it's actually really inspiring.
Good luck hun and let us know what you decide to do.

Lots of love and :hug: :hug: :hug:
xxxxxx

I'm in the same position as you at the moment. Set up home salon and do mobile but finding it hard to attract customers. I decided to have a go working in a salon part time and went for an interview but nearly walked out part way through. It was not the type of salon I could see myself working in as their way of working was not (putting it politely) up to date. I was terribly upset but then I decided 'what the heck' I like my standards the way they are and this is the way I intend to run my business. I shall just have to carry on slogging away at the marketing and make it work. Money is a little tight at the moment, but if the alternative is working with someone elses methods then I'll just have to tighten up my belt :eek:

If you want to buddy up for moral support, swap marketing ideas etc then just pm me. :hug:

Cheers,
Hazel

Dont give up on it think of all the hard work you have put in so far. The clients will come .

personally, i would hang on in there.

* work on the clients you do have by coming up with some fantastic refer a friend offers - so that there is an incentive for both the new and existing clients.

*if you have a website, get it listed on every directory you can find

* get some postcards printed and dish them out to all and sundry! (vistaprint do some good deals - pm me if you want a couple of emails with great deals on them forwarded to you) I ordered their 'free' ones today, for each batch of 100 it worked out to £4.30 for postage and vat so definitely worth the time to create them!

* start thinking of seasonal offers to attract clients in the run up to christmas

* also think of a few offers to draw in clients in the new year - if you have these prepared in advance you can tell your pre christmas clients about them

i'll put my thinking cap on for a few more ideas and re-post when i've had my dinner! LOL!

keep smiling chick
xx :hug: xx

I've been doing this work on and off for 12 years as a freelance and mobile therapist, but only rented rooms 2 years ago.
I now rent 2 rooms, so have to pay 2 lots of rent! Not ideal, but it just about works.

Last week was a particularly bad week, but, I still didn't lose any money on rent, etc.

I am lucky in the fact that our family have never relied on any money that I bring in, we have used my money for luxuries, holidays, helped to finance a newish car, also pay for everything to do with our son, subs, dinners, uniform, christmas, birthday.

I would NEVER give it up and go and work for someone else unless I was deemed as freelance.

I like the challenge of bringing in clients, I get too complacent when I don't have to try. I get bored very quickly if I have to do x amount of work, and find contract work slowly drives me insane after a few weeks.

I do get extra work in doing talks, demonstrations and teach for a local college and for myself, so that can be up the takings.

If you are reliant on bringing X amount of money into the house otherwise you cannot afford to feed and clothe your children then go for the safe option, if you have to step away from the luxuries for a while, then stick with it. some people are made for self employment, and some people are made for employment. Only you know the answer to what you should do.

I'm also in a similar position, started my homebase salon and slowly plodding along.

40 regular clients on your books within 2 months - give yourself a pat on the back - WELL DONE!!!

Keep at it Jenny, 40 clients on your books in 2 months is brilliant.
I know how you feel, i'm just starting out mobile and hoping the party season starts early lol..xx

uh what to do , thanks guysxxx

hope you figure it out hun....it such a hard time with chrismas just round the corner.

here are a few ideas

* leaflet drops

* wear printed t-shirts to give your business more visability

* hand your cards/leaflets out at the school gate at hometime

* posters in local shops

* team up with local services and over to give out their info if they do the same for you.

* create a newsletter to give out to existing clients with some offers on

* if you have a website, add a mailing list feature so that people visiting your site can sign up

* contact local schools and ask them to let you know when they have events that you could attend

* do a boot sale - hand out your info at the same time as having a clear out before christmas!!

* go to your local town centre on a busy day and hand out leaflets (you may need to check with local council to see if its ok)

hope some of these help!

just another thought -

if you offer a few different offers team them up with an offer, eg manicure and pedicure for x amount etc....

thank u so much hun, u are a starxxx

no probs xx

as i think of more ideas i'll keep adding....different things work for different people xx

can you not do both?
work in salon 3 days per week and have home based salon the other 3?
If you set your home hours as mon 9-9, tue 9-9 and fri 9-6 you wont be missing out as you'll have 2 full days and a weekend. You can gain experience in salon AND work form home, if your only doing 4 clients per week why stretch them out over 5 days when they would still come to you if you were open 3 days?
I worked from home and it was only in eves as I worked 9-5, I was mobile a few yrs back and my clients were so good around my studies. People are flexible.
I'm sitting here in rip-roaring sunshine and only 1 client in all day I've known for weeks that tues is a no-go.............

Hi Jen

Think seriously about this. Remember what happened last time and how stressed you were?

Personally, it sounds to me like you've had a cracking start to your home salon already! It normally takes a long time to get established and you will find that word will get around and more business will come.

Things always pick up at christmas, so hang in there and give your dreams a real go!:hug:

u are allright, i shall get my christmas leaflet done and out there, and work my but off, u may all need to keep reminding me though. Thank u so much guys xxxxx

Latest posts

Back