What would you do if you had a black eye?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sparkle

Reaction score
A couple of days ago, a coat stand at work (my office job) fell over and hit me in the face. It was a complete accident (all got reported, and it's now been moved) but I'm left with a lovely big black eye.

I wasn't scheduled to do any massages this weekend (I find August is a quiet month anyway) but will be doing some in the next couple of days. I find peoples' reactions have been very interesting. If people know me and my partner, they joke about me being in a pub fight. But if they don't, they either stare but pointedly ignore it, or assume my OH has beaten me up (he's very very mild and quite shy).

So my question is when I do treatments, do I cover it up with makeup and carry on as normal, or bring it up at the beginning of the conversation, as in, 'Hello, how are you? Oh, ignore the black eye, I'm a clumsy so and so and I did it at work, a coat stand fell on me! What will it be today then?' or something? I don't want it to make people feel uncomfortable or like they 'can't say anything' as it would detract from the treatment.

Any advice much appreciated!

Is probably mention it at the start but would put maske up on anyway and see if it actually covers. You poor thing! x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

could you not maybe just put a cotton pad and tape over it and pretend that youve got a nasty cut on your eyelid? or something along those lines?

I'd look 'em straight in the eye and say, 'you should see the other guy'. :wink2:

I really wouldn't worry about it.Just put your make up on a usual or if you don't wear it don't.if anyone askes what happened tell them if they don't don't say anything.If you make a big deal out of it they will be more likely to think that something untoward went on.

I turned up for my first day of work at a nail and beauty salon with my face ripped to shreads by a dog.I had half my nose hanging off and my eye and cheek all ripped from where I got savaged on holiday the week before.Can you imagine what my boss thought and all my customers I had only met my boss in the interview that was it lol.I looked a right treat x

Last edited:
Personally when greeting clients I would say 'please excuse the black eye, I got into a fight with a coat stand which is now firewood' :) make a simple joke, ease any 'domestic abuse worries or you brawling in a street'' then move on :)

I think I would wear big sun glasses explain first then show them lol xxxx

I would just put camouflage makeup or standard makeup over it and not mention it unless someone asks

Mac used to do really good make up to cover tattoos think this could work,
or arnica cream to clear it up quicker

I would be honest with clients x

Sorry to sound harsh, but I feel you making an issue out of something and nothing here.

I recently injured my eye while nursing and just put makeup on it the next day and carried on as normal, and complete a 10 shift on the day I injured it with no makeup on.

Being a true professional I never felt the need to mention it to my clients or patients.

Thanks so much people! And Lady Murasaki, I am a bit of a worrier :) It's good to hear all the different views xx

Latest posts

Back