What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chlo

Reaction score
A staff member 'told' me today that she is going on holiday in January. I said there is no holidays in January remember.. She says she cannot remember me saying this (I did) Anyway.... I said she could still go but two days after the date she asked to be off as I was still away (which has been booked 6months).. Anyway apparently this is not good enough..

Two minutes later I received a text from said employee

"I can't have that time off in Jan cue she's on f'ing holiday it's f'ing typical int it, can't believe it I'm packing this job in now and gina get a new one I'm sick of her dictating to me"

Clearly she didn't mean to send to me, and also didn't realise she had.. I'm guessing she probably has realised this evening but I have had no apology txt from her.

We are working together tomorrow how should I dealt with this matter?disciplinary? Sit down and talk? How would you go about it? It feels very awkward

Thanks

Oh dear, this doesn't sound good! She will be cringing when she realises! I would definatly not reply to the text, I'd either call her now and have a discussion with her about it or just leave it until tomo and speak to her face to face. She will be very embarrassed I imagine! I don't think I personally would do a disciplinary, but I would definatly have a discussion with her about what she's said and why she's said it. Staff hey! Xx

Hi,
So, you have holiday booked in January but you do not allow staff to take holiday in January?
If thats the case, personally I feel it better to lead by example rather than have employees get their knickers in a twist about double standards....
That said though, with regards to the text, dont take it personally, everyone has a moan about their boss.
Have a quiet word with her, tell her you got the text and that you wish she would come to you with issues rather than complain to others.
Its awkward but you cant leave it hanging in the air
xxx

Surely one of the reasons of no holidays in January would be because the boss is off?

I think seeing as you are off yet claim no holidays in January then allow it this once, get a year wall planner for 2013, marker out dates that can't be holidays, and ALL stick to it, no I'm the owner so I can, that's where people start to get resentment.

Tomorrow has a chat about the message, as above ask her to come to you in future, then let her know your going to get over it now, all has been aired and you all start anew xoxo

It's only no holidays in January this year because I'm off and we have a policy in place that states that two people can't be off at the same time. If she had checked the diary she would of seen that I was off as its been booked 6months. Also I have said to her that she CAN have the time off but instead of the 9th she can be off from the 11th.

I understand about double standards etc but I have been fair with her in the past. She only been back to work after 5weeks off sick came back for two weeks and then booked a holiday she only came back again weds and now this. I don't mind people having holidays but fairs fair x

It's only no holidays in January this year because I'm off and we have a policy in place that states that two people can't be off at the same time. If she had checked the diary she would of seen that I was off as its been booked 6months. Also I have said to her that she CAN have the time off but instead of the 9th she can be off from the 11th.

I understand about double standards etc but I have been fair with her in the past. She only been back to work after 5weeks off sick came back for two weeks and then booked a holiday she only came back again weds and now this. I don't mind people having holidays but fairs fair x

Yes fair enough. If thats the case then she sounds like a royal pain in the arse! Definately have words, perhaps a verbal in this case. To be honest she doesnt sound particularly loyal to the business, so I wouldnt bend over backwards for her
xxxxx

You definitely need to talk to her face to face away from others tomorrow. As you say, she knew or should have known you were off as it is in the diary. She should come to you, if she is not sure about anything.

As for her being off sick and then wanting to book holidays immediately etc, I think she is being a bit selfish. Ok she cant help being sick but expecting time off again as soon as she is back is asking a bit too much. Who does she think did her work during this time. She needs to think as a team, not just herself.

Show her that you received the text, that you dont expect this to happen again, tell her that if she has issues then deal with them like an adult, and not in a childish manner.

Reassure her that she can have the time you have already agreed, you cant go back on your word really. But she needs to know she embarrassed herself, and that she should not draw others into HER disagreement.

Make sure that everyone knows to check the diary/wall chart for holidays etc and to go through you for approval before writing them in the diary etc.

Hope this helps.

i had a text sent to me like this by an employee...'i really don't want to go to work today , what will i tell her'. it was sent to me instead of her mother. it was the beginning of the end.. i ended up giving her the sack for taking the mick for something else.....

i would tell her as the boss you are quite entitled to make decisions in regards to when she can take her holidays and you yours. if she doesn't like it ...the door is wide open and there's no shortage of cv's in your desk.

Thanks everyone this helps a lot.. I've made it very clear about checking diary and filling out absent request form as in the past she has just booked holidays without asking and then expected to be allowed off. It's basically been a issue since day one.. But thank you all for your hep x

i had a text sent to me like this by an employee...'i really don't want to go to work today , what will i tell her'. it was sent to me instead of her mother. it was the beginning of the end.. i ended up giving her the sack for taking the mick for something else.....

i would tell her as the boss you are quite entitled to make decisions in regards to when she can take her holidays and you yours. if she doesn't like it ...the door i wide open and there's no shortage of cv's in your desk.

It was only the day before she asked me for more hours! There's plenty of people out there would like to be employed. X

Personally I would tell her you've accepted her resignation via text and will follow up with her last pay and P45 in a week or so and ask her to leave immediately, I'm very hard when it come to things like this though and would take it very personally especially as your have a policy in place and you had offered a solution to accomodate both yours and her holiday time.

Personally I would tell her you've accepted her resignation via text and will follow up with her last pay and P45 in a week or so and ask her to leave immediately, I'm very hard when it come to things like this though and would take it very personally especially as your have a policy in place and you had offered a solution to accomodate both yours and her holiday time.

That's half of my problem I'm too weak and hate confrontation! But I need to be stern, she's obviously realised tonight that she text me and never even apologised, I need to definely deal with this in the correct manner X

That's half of my problem I'm too weak and hate confrontation! But I need to be stern, she's obviously realised tonight that she text me and never even apologised, I need to definely deal with this in the correct manner X

I think she's probably mortified she's sent that text hence why you have heard nothing. That in itself is punishment. Least she didn't call u an f ing stupid cow or something equally as abusive lol

Personally I wouldn't say anything about the text but I would make it clear to her about holidays.

If I were her I would never want to set foot in the salon again.:D

Just hope she actually turns up in the morning! X

I bet she's mortified!! She'll be feeling awful all night tonight and dreading having to face you in the morning, she might even cook up some bizarre excuse about how she didnt send the text or something. This in itself is punishment enough for her, but I agree that you need to be really strict with her. Its so important to demonstrate to staff like her that you will not allow them to take the p*ss not even one little bit, because if you dont deal with it harshly they see it as the green light to walk all over you in the future.

I wouldnt give her an official warning on this occasion, but I would make it very clear where the door is if she carries on in her current manner. Remind her that it was not unreasonable of you to expect that sufficient staff cover is maintained when people take holidays, and its not unreasonable of you to expect staff to check that holiday dates are available before they book them. If she doesnt like these rules remind her that there's a recession on at the moment and plenty of people out of work who would only be too glad to take her place and abide by your rules. I would also ask her about her comment about looking for another job, you need to know where you stand there so she doesnt just drop you in it without notice one day, and to make sure she's not poaching your clients to take to her new work place.

Personally I wouldn't like to have an employee who talks like this about me behind my back.

I would not like to keep her for a second longer on the board of my ship.

She said she wants to "pack up this job" then I would suggest she takes her toys tomorrow morning and does what she said. And I would make sure that she is aware that I will be reluctant to give her good references.

I believe that people get what they deserve.

Maybe I am harsh but I cannot stand disloyal, spoilt girls.

Oh and I know that some of you may criticize me but u've been working on managerial positions for long enough to know that being "mates" with staff is the worst thing I can do.

Mutual respect and understanding is enough. Clearly this girl has no understanding of these issues.

Personally I wouldn't like to have an employee who talks like this about me behind my back.

I would not like to keep her for a second longer on the board of my ship.

She said she wants to "pack up this job" then I would suggest she takes her toys tomorrow morning and does what she said. And I would make sure that she is aware that I will be reluctant to give her good references.

I believe that people get what they deserve.

Maybe I am harsh but I cannot stand disloyal, spoilt girls.

Oh and I know that some of you may criticize me but u've been working on managerial positions for long enough to know that being "mates" with staff is the worst thing I can do.

Mutual respect and understanding is enough. Clearly this girl has no understanding of these issues.

I agree, there is friendly as friends, a very fine line, but if balanced correctly makes an idea working environment.
I must point out that you legally have to give good references. The worst you can put on is "I would not employ this person again" that in itself sets doubt and I've had to use it myself for an old employee, wasn't a nice feeling, but considering she never actually resigned, just didn't turn up, never answered her phone, didn't reply to answer phone messages, and left us in the lurch while the company was already going under I had no choice but to add the worst I was legally allowed. Your other option of a "bad reference" is replying to a request with " I can not give x a reference due to experience being their employer" it's not a reference, but again sets doubt.
If you received a reference like that would you take the person on even if they gave a spot on interview and perfect trade test?

Back to the OP, if she doesn't turn up tomorrow without a phone call then she has fired herself, you can then ask her to leave if she turns up another day, if she calls in sick you know the reasons for her calling, I would send a letter first class immediately giving her notice she has been let go. Xoxo

Ever thought she may have Intentionally sent this message, a previous colleague of mine did the exact same as that wasn't happy at been told about punctuality got a huff wanted to walk out and so sent the famous "accidental text" in hope of causing confrontation to create the perfect cue to leave!

Last edited:
Can I just say be very careful about making threats to her ref her job, showing her the door etc is classed as constructive dismissal, speak to your solicitor or ACAS, protect yourself because believe me it's sooo easy to say or do things that aren't to the letter and then you will find yourself in a tribunal case.

Latest posts

Back