What would you reply to this client....?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becsxx

Reaction score
Grrr I know this is not a very good first post but I am feeling very angry...
(And by the way I absolutely love this site so much information to take pleased I found it whilst training! My partner constantly tells me I am addicted, but I believe I can learn so much and theres nothing wrong with being knowledgeable in the industry!)

I am currently training in acrylic Nails and loving it! (Training in Australia)
Anyway so I am charging $15AU for a full set of French or Natural tips to cover costs which I think is around 10pound??
For infills I am charging $10 = approx 6pound
And soak off $10

I am not very confident in forever french yet so just practicing using my practice finger for now as finding those who want their nails done are expecting perfect nails (from someone who has only been doing nails for 6 weeks!!!) everytime with no lifting perfect smile lines etc and obviously at this stage I am not there yet but with every set I do I am noticing they are getting much better and lasting longer.

So heres what I am angry about...I got the below message from a lady who used to come to me for beauty treatments...:eek:

Is that a permanent forever more loyalty customer $10 for refills. Cause that's what kinda put me off. I'd love to have them done but I don't want to be forking out $50 a month to have them filled. Also......do you still do Brazilian waxing for $20??? I've had another lady doing it (cause she lives closer) but she still charges $40 every visit even though I go every 3-4 weeks and only have about 20 hairs to be removed??

Well I compared my prices to a local salon for French tips I charge a total of $35 (21pounds) for full set and 2 x infills (approx one months treatments right) this in the salon is $120 (73pounds) and her forever french prices for same treatments is $140 (85Pounds)

So ya know what I am really cheap would hate to think what she will think when I am qualified and confident in my work to be charging full price!!!

As for the Braz I now charge $30 (18Pound) as have completed all of my practical training for my Beauty Therapy Diploma in salon this would be $65 for first treatment and $45 follow up must be within 4-6 weeks so my flat rate of $30 is still extremely cheap. I only do it at home as a bit of extra cash I have a 2 1/2 yr old and 5 months pregnant with my second when I move back from Australia to NZ (Home) I will be setting up properly but still taking in account that I work from home so prices will always be cheaper than salons as I wont have the same overheads.

So what would you write back this is what I have so far (I know she is currently training to become a personal trainer and feel like asking if she will give me cheap prices when she is qualified...I know the answer....a big fat NO!)

Hi ...,

At this stage it is just French Tips as I am not yet confident in forever french.

So Yes it is $15 for initial set and $10 for infills - these prices are very cheap it only covers the cost of my product used, Im not making any money on this if anything I am loosing out as all sets of nails come with UV Gel overlay.

My price for brazilian waxing has gone upto $30 - I have completed all my practical training for Beauty Therapy and my prices are still very affordable.

I dont want to sound nasty hence I have not yet hit the send button as I often write something send then think I really should not have said that...For some reason I feel like I need to justify myself with my prices as I am struggling to get people to train on and am even doing some sets completely free...

Sorry for the long rant needed to get it off my chest and hopefully get some advice from those in the industry...my Mum just does not understand some of these things!!!:lol:

Becs xx

Hi ...,

At this stage it is just French Tips as I am not yet confident in forever french.

So Yes it is $15 for initial set and $10 for infills - these prices are very cheap it only covers the cost of my product used, Im not making any money on this if anything I am loosing out as all sets of nails come with UV Gel overlay.

My price for brazilian waxing has gone upto $30 - I have completed all my practical training for Beauty Therapy and my prices are still very affordable.

I would re word this for several reasons. I don't think you need to justify yourself or how you price yourself nor would I tell her that you don't feel confident in something. Just give her the info. She obviously has no loyalty and does everything on price and how easy it is for her to get to the therapist .. nothing to do with loyalty.

First answer her second question, that will set the tone. Then state your case re the nails.

My price for Brazilian waxing has gone upto $30 - I am a fully trained Beauty Therapist and my prices are realistic and affordable.

The Special Nail Offer I quoted is for French Tips; $15 for initial set and $10 for infill and all sets of nails come with a complimentary UV Gel overlay. This offer is for a limited time only.

HTH Good luck and don't put yourself down to people.

Hi ...,

Hello! Personally I don't think you should have to justify yourself or put yourself down! Just state clearly the services you offer and their prices.
e.g.
Hi there, I have an offer on at the moment for French Tips at $15 for initial set and $10 for infills. This offer is for a limited time only. I am looking to include Forever French in my services in the future.
My price for brazilian waxing is now $30. I am a fully qualified professional and my prices are very affordable.
Hope to see you soon!

HTH, Lisa .x.

Thank you both so much for your advice, I have written my reply and will never put myself/skills down to anyone in future!

And will keep to the facts/info required

I dont need to justify myself to anybody!

Thanks again ladies!:)

I agree with previous posters, and I think you shouldn't worry about losing customers like this. If she decides not to be your client, it won't matter. You don't need a client like her because they are very hard to train. The first time you put your prices up, she'll moan. She'll often want something for free. She won't appreciate your skills or give you any thanks. Treat this as a learning curve and just be grateful you don't have to deal with her.

As a fellow Australian I have to say that your prices (even though you are a novice) are way, way too low. No wonder you attract people who basically want your products and services for free. I would not respond to that lady, I would delete the email and give her an invitation to go away.

It doesn't matter that you are still learning, the fact is you have been trained and presumably paid several thousands of dollars to be qualified. You need to at least double your prices and just keep practising. Get rid of these customers as quickly as possible or you will go broke. They are not customers anyway, because they are not interested in paying full price. They are people who are trying to get something for nothing. You don't want them hanging around.

Another important thing to note about people in general is this....

It doesn't matter what the price is, they will still expect as close to a perfect service as possible. And the ones who pay the least often expect the most.

You are better off charging full price or very close to it and dealing with complaints, because you will get the complaints anyway even if you charge nothing. :rolleyes:

I work in the service industry and it doesn't matter what our customers pay, they expect nothing less than a premium service. Have more confidence in yourself. I've seen a lot of full price nails leave a lot to be desired. You are not even charging the same price as a NSS and yet your work is probably to an equal if not higher standard. You should at least match their prices. :hug:

Becs - all the time you do these sort of clients they will be filling up your appointment book so you wont be able to do the full paying clients.....therefore they cost YOU money.x

I agree with how Gigi & Lisa worded the reply, & with Curiosity about putting your prices up.
You said in your mock reply you are not even covering the cost of the uv etc :eek:, you should work out excatly what it cost to do a full set with all products & maintence, then add a bit for your time/petrol/rent etc.
Once you have completed you training & you put your prices up there is going to be a massive leap in price difference.
Say for example when you have qualified you want to charge $45 AU (£30ish) I would do them whilst training at about half the price $23 AU.

Thanks for the currency conversions, it really helped get an idea of the prices.

Hope that helps
x:hug:x

I only do it at home as a bit of extra cash I have a 2 1/2 yr old and 5 months pregnant with my second when I move back from Australia to NZ (Home) I will be setting up properly but still taking in account that I work from home so prices will always be cheaper than salons as I wont have the same overheads.

When you get back to NZ and set up from home, dont be too much cheaper than the salons, charge for your skill and talent, not as to whether you're based at home or not. Most home based salons these days have a special room or two set up as a small salon, not the old standard of doing it at the kitchen table or in the lounge. So if you do set up a room solely for your treatments you will be spending the same amount for all your equipment etc as a salon.
I am home based and at the moment I charge $NZ90 for a fullset, as I have recently updated my skills I now need to up my prices.

I agree with lc beauty and her reply!
You don't need to exlain why you charge what you do, I've never heard of anyone charging such little for nails so if I was your client I wouldn't be asking questions I'd just be thanking my lucky starts that I found you!
x

Also as for this client "not wanting to be forking out" does she mean for your prices? I got bit confused?
If she is talking about prices then it's her loss I doubt she will find anywhere cheaper!! x

You have relationships with people, clients, boyfriends, family.........
If you had a boyfriend who put you down, made you justify yourself at every turn and went out with other girls because you didn't fit in with him, how long would he be a boyfriend?
So why let a client set the tone?
Geeg is spot on, keep it factual, let her come to you or not.
That 20 hair comment has made me laugh, does she sit there with a mirror and count them:twisted:

You have relationships with people, clients, boyfriends, family.........
If you had a boyfriend who put you down, made you justify yourself at every turn and went out with other girls because you didn't fit in with him, how long would he be a boyfriend?
So why let a client set the tone?
Geeg is spot on, keep it factual, let her come to you or not.
That 20 hair comment has made me laugh, does she sit there with a mirror and count them:twisted:

Laughing at the mirror thought!! Haha!
Also if she is so against "forking out"
Why would you spend money so often for 20 hairs...
I dont think it matters how much hair someone has they all get charged the same rate! x

I am currently training in acrylic Nails and loving it! (Training in Australia)
Anyway so I am charging $15AU for a full set of French or Natural tips to cover costs which I think is around 10pound??
For infills I am charging $10 = approx 6pound
And soak off $10

So heres what I am angry about...I got the below message from a lady who used to come to me for beauty treatments...:eek:

Is that a permanent forever more loyalty customer $10 for refills. Cause that's what kinda put me off. I'd love to have them done but I don't want to be forking out $50 a month to have them filled. Also......do you still do Brazilian waxing for $20??? I've had another lady doing it (cause she lives closer) but she still charges $40 every visit even though I go every 3-4 weeks and only have about 20 hairs to be removed??

Why does she think it would cost her $50 a month for infills?? :rolleyes: when you only charge $10 am i missing something? Even fortnightly appointments are still less than that! :smack:
Unfortunartly clients like this will go to whoever is cheapest that week or will always argue the toss over the price, i'd concentrate more on the loyal clients you have and gaining new ones than on clients like this, you soon learn to not let it get to you.
I had a client that i have sprayed about 5 times 2 years ago recently email me for free eyelash extensions because she's a regular :Scared: the mind boggles!!

Why does she think it would cost her $50 a month for infills?? :rolleyes: when you only charge $10 am i missing something? Even fortnightly appointments are still less than that! :smack:
Unfortunartly clients like this will go to whoever is cheapest that week or will always argue the toss over the price, i'd concentrate more on the loyal clients you have and gaining new ones than on clients like this, you soon learn to not let it get to you.
I had a client that i have sprayed about 5 times 2 years ago recently email me for free eyelash extensions because she's a regular :Scared: the mind boggles!!

Some people have such cheek!!
I am very very new to being a mobile tech and have already experienced a difficult client, it really knocked me back although I truly felt I'd done nothing wrong! (for lash extensions) as it was a first I panicked and gave a full refund... I then read about similar things on here and have now realised that some clients just aren't worth the hassle! If they don't come back then it's not a huge loss because I think difficult clients will be few and far between! (hopefully!) x

I wouldn't even reply to a client who sends messages like that. She is wanting favours by the sounds of it, you don't need that type of client. Ignore her, it will drive her insane!

Definitely don't justify your pricing structure to any client and don't put yourself down as you have heard already. Be factual. At the end of the day she is currently going to somewhere else and paying a lot more than you are charging so if you put your prices up she will pay them as long as she gets a good service.

I've had someone trying to take down my price.
I charge because i'm a starter just like you around 25 euro's (USD:34,40 and BP:21,38)
In Holland it's more normal to ask around 50 to 60 euro's in the big city's.
I was advertising telling them i'm not to expierenced and needed customers to train myself.
Some one told me i do it for 15 euro's and i'll bring friends.
She said there are others who are way more expierneced and charge around 30 euro.
I told her that I use good quality products and am doubting if she has a while worth nailtech compared to my price. I'm hardly making money of it since the products are pretty exp.
And that my price is standard she should enjoy the otherone for 30 euro's
I don't like to have costumers like these :wink2:

Latest posts

Back