When one gives up smoking....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyann

Reaction score
Hi, I gave up smoking a month ago, which I found supprisingly easy after the first few days (which were a nightmare!!!:mad:) I've been tasting food better, noticing how horrible people smell when they smoke, which is enough to keep me off them, feeling generally better, and chuffed with myself too, even if I say so myself!

But for some reason tonight I have been really craving them! Is this normal after a month?

Just wondering :)

omg
this is uncanny
i too feel exactly the same
why is it???
i want one so much but know i wont have one cos one leads to another but,,,,,,,, why is it?

lets be non smoking buddies ? lol

can I join too:) I gave up 9 weeks ago but have to say I can't stop eating since I stopped.

Well done hun, you are doing very well. I have given up now for 4 years. I got cravings up until about two years after i gave up so yes it is normal. The smell now though makes me feel sick. Just keep yourself busy and try drinking lots of water to replace your habit (it worked for me). xxx

can I join too:) I gave up 9 weeks ago but have to say I can't stop eating since I stopped.

I think the eating is all in the mind hun. You are trying to relplace one habbit with another. I didnt put on any weight when i stopped as i replaced my smoking habit with drinking water. Not everyone is the same, i understand that, but maybe look at something else you can be doing to take your mind off it. It might take a bit of experimenting to see what works.
Good luck chick :hug:

I did give up for about 5 years but started smoking about 3 years ago, during those 5 years I missed them lol This time round I know I wont start again, its just every now and then I think I want one, usually when I'm bored. I've been eating loads too! especially crisps and I was never a crisp eater to begin with! Luckily not put any weight on as far as I can tell anyway :)

yes apparently the cravings are marked at 7 weeks, 12 weeks and so on. I got told it was something to do with you're body totally detoxing all the chemicals that can still be found in your system even if you've given up for a while!
Have you tried the websites for giving up like nicotinell and nhs sites? - they have forums that you can join to chat and encourage others like you...
Well done for doing so well, i started again as soon as i went out for a drink which i tricked myself into thinking id just be a social smoker but found myself looking forward to the next night out just so i could have another cig.
Then i had the bright idea of just smoking at the weekends, then just the evenings and surprise surprise back on em again!! ho hum, im planning on starting the patches again next week (after this planned weekend of drinking with my chum!!)
xXx

I gave up after looking on the NHS site and working out how much me and my boyfriend would save between us using their calculator, really good incentive! I've been out up town a few times and only when I have walked out of one bar to walk to the next is when I have wanted one, but I guess thats habit.
I never used patches or gum because I figured you would still have to ween yourself off them so I just gave up without cutting down and it's not been too bad :)

I am taking Champix as we speak, to quit smoking.
My last cigarette will be on February 14th (didn't plan it that way lol)
Anyway...
I've tried a gazillion times to quit, and I know I still craved weeks later other times. Of course, I'm SURROUNDED by smokers (family, friends, clients...)

Take it one day at a time... and dont' give up. You're doing GREAT!!!

And I hope to be in the same place you are, another week and half from now.

:hug:

I'm quitting too. I quit on 10th JAN and have had a couple of slip ups but on the whole I'm proud of myself. Have been using the inhalator off and on but have found that nibbling is a problem.

i am ok in a evening with people around me, I dont really think about it but in the day time I'm terrible for eating stuff.

Rachel x

GOOD FOR ALL OF YOU!

I quit 11 years ago. It took me 10 attempts before I was successful. I didn't have physical craving after the first 30 days but even now I sometimes think a cig would be just the thing. I am always a little surprised when this happens but now I just accept it as leftover memory and refuse to act upon it. I will always be grateful that I am no longer an active smoker. I believe it takes what it takes and each individual needs to find what works for them.

Keep up the effort, the results are well worth it.

I LOVE to hear about people stopping or at least trying to stop...it's so awful to have your life ruled by an stupid inanimate object and to have no control over it:mad:

My husband and I tried to stop so many times and by so many methods over 20 years and finally JUST DID IT!!!!! (on the same day too!)

Won't kid you on, it was hard and we did get those craving times but we are so very, very happy that we did it (4 years ago now!). We have also saved...wait for it....£35,000, yes, £35,000 in 4 years!!!!

Good luck to everyone of you (read Allen Carr's book) and keep trying, you WILL do it one of these days:)

I quit 4 years ago and i have to say i was a miserable cow for 4 years i have now started again :cry: but have calmed down a lot
ill stop again soon but for now im stressed and it helps

good luck to everyone you should be very proud of yourselves
Your doing fantastic

But for some reason tonight I have been really craving them! Is this normal after a month?

Just wondering :)

Yep, it's normal. I quit in 1991 and still have a craving now and then.

Congrats on your accomplishment! :)

I gave up almost as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I think I have always craved the actual action of smoking rather than the nicotine as Its the holding it and puffing on it I miss.

I will try not to go back to it when ive had baby but I think I will probably at my weakest when ive had a drink.

I have noticed the smell of smoke on people to, I only realised some of my clients were smokers when I started smelling it on them, up until then id never known !!

I gave up in june then started again in oct I was on the patches I have tried again but have failed. I am determined I will stop but the craving are just too much atm.

In my experience (and friends, family, clients and particularly hubby) substitutes don't work...a very small percentage of people will stop, but if your body is still receiving nicotine then when you do finally stop with the substitute, your body still has to go through withdrawal!

It's going to be hard anyway, so if you are determined, just go for it, don't use delaying tactics, it only makes the whole process last much longer and keeps you thinking constantly about it.

I stopped smoking exactly 4 weeks today :green:
Hubby packed up 1 week before me but he struggled a bit so had a few crafty ones, but he has not had one for 3 weeks now. (so i think)
I haven't had a single one and im feeling really proud considering i smoked for 17 years! I found i cannot do it unless i wear a patch and that patch has to go on as soon as i wake! It never bothered me at first but this week has been the hardest for me and im actually craving for one now and then. I think its because i've been stuck at home all week due to the heavy snow, not being at work, kids not in school :rolleyes:

Sorry there guys, I cannot give up something that I do not usually do, I am no smoker but I am a drinker, sometimes a heavy drinker, and sometimes all the time. But as i look forward, i see a bleak future, so I decided to minimize everything, until i can stop it.

I am taking Champix as we speak, to quit smoking.
My last cigarette will be on February 14th (didn't plan it that way lol)
Anyway...
I've tried a gazillion times to quit, and I know I still craved weeks later other times. Of course, I'm SURROUNDED by smokers (family, friends, clients...)

Take it one day at a time... and dont' give up. You're doing GREAT!!!

And I hope to be in the same place you are, another week and half from now.

like victoria i started champix on wednesday give up day is thursday next week. i did give up 3 years ago for nine months and i found it quite easy but scince then all the other times i have tried to give up i have been a weeping mess by day 4..........
your doing great keep at it...and dont have another its so hard giving up after

Latest posts

Back