When will a nail tech get respect?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get this... Everytime we discuss this, everybody say this and "defend" themselves with it. Why do you believe everybody else hates their job? Isn't it wrong to say we hate people because they think we have choosen the wrong field, when we say exactly the same about their (boring) jobs?

C.

Because funnily enough when I speak to most people they are not happy where they work and what they do. Not defending myself, I don't need to, it's just fact! Remember in Britain we work more hours per week than any other EU nation and most people are over stressed, over worked and under valued. It may not be the same in Norway, but it is in Britain.

My mum said what do you want to go off and do beauty for, you've got 5 A Levels. And your point is caller?? :irked:

I used to get this when I worked as a barmaid. When I told punters I used to be a bacteriologist they were amazed!! Now I work in an office and absolutely detest it.

Due to financial reasons I can't think about setting up a business or doing more training at the mo, but I'm not giving up as I love nails so much. I'll get there in the end.

I've only one friend who thinks I'm an idiot for wanting to get into this industry. Every one else thinks it's great to do something I'm so passionate about. I must say I've found it's mainly men who think people in the beauty industry are "bimbos".

I don't know why people assume that if you are, what they perceive, as intelligent you have to work in an office, preferably in a job you hate.

Because funnily enough when I speak to most people they are not happy where they work and what they do. Not defending myself, I don't need to, it's just fact! Remember in Britain we work more hours per week than any other EU nation and most people are over stressed, over worked and under valued. It may not be the same in Norway, but it is in Britain.

Nah, I don't take this either. I find it very hard to believe that there are only nailtechs who likes their jobs in Britain... And another thing, you don't like other people to "stereotype" you, why do you do the same with others?

(PS. I don't mean to be aggresive here, I am just curious.)

C.

didn't read this bit right sorry.....when i said about i could have been something else...i don't see that as undermining myself at all....its the truth. I could have been but didn't want too....same as i didn't want to learn roller skating either....just my choice. :) x

If you turn this around... Do you think everybody could be a nailtech? I don't, and I don't think everybody could be a proffessor, a doctor, a dentist etc.. either. Sorry.

C.

I've only one friend who thinks I'm an idiot for wanting to get into this industry. Every one else thinks it's great to do something I'm so passionate about. I must say I've found it's mainly men who think people in the beauty industry are "bimbos".

Strange, I have found it to be women to be the worst. "Women is women worst" is a saying here in Norway and I think that is very true.

C.

If you turn this around... Do you think everybody could be a nailtech? I don't, and I don't think everybody could be a proffessor, a doctor, a dentist etc.. either. Sorry.

C.

yeah i do...if thats what they really want to be and they train hard and are serious about it then yes...why not..

You've got to want it and have the passion to be something and to be good at it....i have never had the passion to be a doctor or dentist, so no i may not be very good at it...even with training....but if it was my dream to be one then yes i could be.

I strongly believe that everyone is capable to be whatever they want to be....even if it takes years of hard work and study to get there. x

Why do we always have to SAY so loud that we are intelligent, at least as itelligent as "them"? Isn't this a little bit weird?
I don't think it's weird, mainly because I think in any society people get put into pigeon holes (categories).
Nail technicians/therapists are put in the same pigeon hole (or category) as beauty therapists, dumb blonde bimbos,
(no offense to blondes but you know what I mean!)
It's assumed that we do this job/career because we're not good enough for anything else, let alone us dare have ambition enough to think that we're good enough to be a doctor or another 'respected' profession.

Until people change their attitudes then I'm afraid that we will all continue being tarred with the same brush.

It does not bother me if people make assumptions about what I do, not one iota!

I just give them a nice little smile safe in the knowledge that -

a/ I love my job

b/ I work the hours that suit me

c/ I am in all probability earning 3 or 4 times as much as they do in a working week!!!

Hurrahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Latest posts

Back