Where can i do a quick course in basic hairdressing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:
I am surprised that they would teach someone hair extensions without them being certified in Hair first

This is common practise and it infuriates me

Amazing...totally amazing..
That is just too darn scarey!:Scared:
to me that is like showing someone how to do a NNO without certification in nails.
I bet you guys really have to be on your toes and make sure who ever is working on your hair is showing proper certification in hair.

it is really scarey as now they done even have to do perming at college here yet can still pass their nvq level 2 bet you will all look at hairdressers with a different view because we never ask how long have they been doing hair and in my daughters class some are young girls and some are quite mature i always check thier certificates and if less than 2-3 years i will only employ them as juniors regardless of their age

The problem here is that whether you are a qualified hairdresser or not,the main companies will train you so long as you have got £500 to fork out,it stinks,absolutely bloody stinks

eeek sorry, i feel like a fake now :cry: Yes they didnt ask for any qualification they just taught me how to do hair extensions. Please can i add that i am damn good at the extensions and people are always please with the work i do, im not completely hopeless! The course was 4 days long.

Sorry and i do not mean to sound so harsh towards you personally it's the companies i have a problem with

Get yourself an nvq or equivalent and go for it :!: :) Even if it does take a little longer than you had hoped :wink2:

Yes i will, i really wana go for it and i would love all the paper work that comes with it as well (im abit sad like that) i would dedicate so much in to it.What is the equivalent of a NVQ?

Many thanks

eeek sorry, i feel like a fake now :cry: Yes they didnt ask for any qualification they just taught me how to do hair extensions. Please can i add that i am damn good at the extensions and people are always please with the work i do, im not completely hopeless! The course was 4 days long.
Oh hey, we are not picking on you. I, myself am just godsmacked that this even is allowed.It isn't done that way over here in the states. You have to show licensing and insurance to work on a human and get paid for it.
There are just too many things that can go wrong if you don't know the technical ins and outs. And apparently they cannot teach it the proper way in a 4 day class..
These companies should be bent over and spanked!
Do you carry insurance?

yes i have public liability insurance... least i have that phew!!

I want to do a part time or a quick 3 day course in the basics of make up. I also want to do a course in hairdressing but dont want it to be a year course as i work full time. Can any one recommend any good sites or colleges that offer the training i require?

Many thanks! x

I can't help you with hair but I would have a look at your local colleges for make up.

I don't normally reccommend short courses in make up as you also need to know about skin types, conditions etc but some colleges are very dated when it comes to make up application, like the ones I attended ! I learnt more on my one day product training for the make up range I stock than in 8 months at college :eek: I would really research whatever you go for and find out when the lecturers last attended make up courses themselves !

With regards to short courses in hair this has been going on for years in the beauty industry anyone can do a short course in nails, mani, pedi, waxing and thinks its fine (i don't) but when its hair everyone goes mad about it ?!

With regards to short courses in hair this has been going on for years in the beauty industry anyone can do a short course in nails, mani, pedi, waxing and thinks its fine (i don't) but when its hair everyone goes mad about it ?!
I think it is a bunch of bull pucky that anyone could go and do a short course in any area of working on another human being and get paid for it. doctors, nurses,dentists, nails, skin..it don't matter..you are still in charge of not causing harm to that person and not to do harm to that person takes proper training.

okay I must get back to getting things done on here..Stepping off the soapbox. :)

I think it is a bunch of bull pucky that anyone could go and do a short course in any area of working on another human being and get paid for it. doctors, nurses,dentists, nails, skin..it don't matter..you are still in charge of not causing harm to that person and not to do harm to that person takes proper training.

okay I must get back to getting things done on here..Stepping off the soapbox. :)
I agee 100% with this comment,these short courses are a joke,sorry if this upsets anyone but there is a reason why courses are done over a length of time,it's because they are designed to cover all areas of the chosen subject,A&P,methods,health and safety not to mention a host of other things.

Yet people still insist that they can do what some of us have taken months even years to do,in as little as a couple of days.

My thoughts on short courses will always be the same,also it never ceases to amaze me when people say,"well I studied really hard on my 3 day course",yes,I'm sure they did but nowhere near as hard as any of us that studied the same subject over months and months,even years.

If you really want to learn a skill do it properly,over a period of time,as it was designed to be learnt.Do it this way so you know what you're doing,so that you're confident and so that you can really call yourself qualified.So you know your subject inside out and only need to pick up speed.So you can answer clients questions freely without doubting yourself,and also so you can hold your head up high when discussing your qualifications.

Sorry if this offends but there are too many short courses and I have tried both,only twice did I do a short course and both courses I re-did the proper way, because I found there really is no comparison.I didn't feel truely confident and tbh felt a fraud when asked by clients about my training in these 2 areas.JMHO.

it is really scarey as now they done even have to do perming at college here yet can still pass their nvq level 2 bet you will all look at hairdressers with a different view because we never ask how long have they been doing hair and in my daughters class some are young girls and some are quite mature i always check thier certificates and if less than 2-3 years i will only employ them as juniors regardless of their age

My college still teach perming, Im doing my level one right now and we have started to practise for next year when we do level two, my tutor says its an importnat thing to learn as it will come back in at some point.

My college still teach perming, Im doing my level one right now and we have started to practise for next year when we do level two, my tutor says its an importnat thing to learn as it will come back in at some point.

This is because it is an ooptional unit as opposed to mandatory which imo is disgusting,no one can call them selves a fully qualified hairdresser if they can't carry out all chemical hair services including the permanant wave.

Many fe colleges choose not to give the student the option and include it as if it were a mandatory unit.

Hope this claryfies things.

I agee 100% with this comment,these short courses are a joke,sorry if this upsets anyone but there is a reason why courses are done over a length of time,it's because they are designed to cover all areas of the chosen subject,A&P,methods,health and safety not to mention a host of other things.

Yet people still insist that they can do what some of us have taken months even years to do,in as little as a couple of days.

My thoughts on short courses will always be the same,also it never ceases to amaze me when people say,"well I studied really hard on my 3 day course",yes,I'm sure they did but nowhere near as hard as any of us that studied the same subject over months and months,even years.

If you really want to learn a skill do it properly,over a period of time,as it was designed to be learnt.Do it this way so you know what you're doing,so that you're confident and so that you can really call yourself qualified.So you know your subject inside out and only need to pick up speed.So you can answer clients questions freely without doubting yourself,and also so you can hold your head up high when discussing your qualifications.

Sorry if this offends but there are too many short courses and I have tried both,only twice did I do a short course and both courses I re-did the proper way, because I found there really is no comparison.I didn't feel truely confident and tbh felt a fraud when asked by clients about my training in these 2 areas.JMHO.

I was unsure whether or not to start a new thread,but i didn't bother :D

Now i agree with what has been said in regards to shorts courses,but what do you class as a short course ? A few days ??

Creative foundation is 4/5 days worth of training.(that's not lomg lol) Would this be a short course ?

Creative is award winning education even though the course isn't run over a year :!:

So basically what i am saying is IMO it depends on where and by whom you are trained,as much if not more than the duration of your training .

Now i agree with what has been said in regards to shorts courses,but what do you class as a short course ? A few days ??

Creative foundation is 4/5 days worth of training.(that's not lomg lol) Would this be a short course ?

Creative is award winning education even though the course isn't run over a year :!:

So basically what i am saying is IMO it depends on where and by whom you are trained,as much if not more than the duration of your training .

Good point, I was just wondering that myself. I also suppose it depends on the amount there is to learn. Is there more to learn on a reputable hairdressing course than, say, a Brisa course? Sorry, not a hairdresser so am intrigued! :green:

Thinking aboout it yes,broken down into modules there is quite a lot more so my comparison isn't a good one :o

But i was just trying to point out that just because a course is short,does not mean the quality of training is inferior,in fact it can often be the opposite ,much more intense :idea:

I have gone to nail classes that lasted any where from 8 hours to only 4 hours..new product, new technique, new set up..and only 4 hours to learn it.
That my dearest to me is a short unprofessional short course.
Any thing less than 2 days in a nail course is a short course. a 3-4 day course is on the short if you are not really practiced at doing enchancements on nails.

i have no problem with short courses run by educational inviroments as a starting point as long as the person is then going on to train more in thier choosen field but to leave a short course and go solo and class them self as qualified i feel is fool hardie and in some respects dangerous to clients dont get me wrong i started out doig nails on a home based learning sceme and believe me it was nothing like the real thing a fake hand or head (in hairdressing) can not tell you when you are hurting them you cant check skin hair textures ect i think most would agree you never finish learning or comming across something new and with all these no win no fee law suites i would not risk a short course without going on to a salon enviroment at least for a year or more

This is because it is an ooptional unit as opposed to mandatory which imo is disgusting,no one can call them selves a fully qualified hairdresser if they can't carry out all chemical hair services including the permanant wave.

Many fe colleges choose not to give the student the option and include it as if it were a mandatory unit.

Hope this claryfies things.

Oh right thanks :)

I think that Geeg herself has stated that these Creative Foundation 4/5 days training courses are excellent as a starting point.We all agree that, once qualified in the foundation course, that this is only the start of a long old haul towards a real qualification.

I along with many others would not to do a foundation course and class myself as a fully qualified nail tech,indeed that is because there is so much more to learn,as I have already said.

However,saying this people are doing 1 day courses in certain subjects and calling themselves "fully qualified"

How can one learn in 4 days the same as a year long course??Putting it simply,you cant.I dont think it's anything to do with who you do your course with(obviously some are better than others:green:)

I just know who I and my clients and friends would rather have their hair done by or their massage done by,or any other professional service,that's a properly qualified person,not someone who's done a short course and cant remember where their muscles are or how long to leave a perm lotion on a particular hair type for.

In all honesty it's an insult to any professional person to have anyone say they have learnt in a couple of days what it has taken us months even years to learn.JMHO dont mean to offend,just saying what I know a lot of people feel,including me.

Latest posts

Back