Where do you all stand on patch testing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to get written confirmation from the manufacturer and go with that.

You need to get written confirmation from the manufacturer and go with that.

Agree.......insurance companies will use ANY excuse not to pay out so if it's not stated clearly on the tint instructions, get written confirmation.

PB
x

This is driving me a little nuts.

BATAC will cover me for a file and polish on a diabetic and for spray tanning in the first trimester but NOT the tinting without a test each time.

The Guild wont cover me for any of these scenarios!

ABT will cover me for file and polish on a diabetic client, not cover me for tanning in first trimester but will cover not testing each time you tint!

How on earth are you meant to choose which one t go with!

My head hurts.

It depends in your insurers. In hairdressing it states on the tints a patch test must be carried out 48hrs before any treatment. However there are insurers that will still cover you if you stick to the same colour then you skin test every 6 months I think the nhf insurance allows this xx

Just out of curiosity as any of you been told by your manufacturer thats it is NOT a requirement and we can all change brands x

OK, here is the email response from Salon Systems...

Hi Lynne,

Thank you for your email.

We’d recommend that a patch test is carried out before each and every application because it is possible to become sensitive to a product even though someone might be a regular user.

The patch test should be carried out 48-72 hours before the treatment and the area should be left uncovered. If no irritation occurs then you can carry out the treatment.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Salon System

Great.

It will be the same for wax soon as well, just in case of an allergy, its the way its going. HD brows, which if fact is just a normal tint has been doing this for years. HD still the best brow platform around.

Everything will be like this soon.

Refectocil is the best tint I have worked with, used most of them except for hairwell, and they state it should be carried out each time, Im not sure Id want to change.

Argh!!

I've just been in contact with BABTAC, their policy is:

A skin patch test is required at least 24 hours before treating a client for the first time. Always follow manufacturer's recommendations. If your client has any allergic reaction to the patch test you are advised not to perform the treatment as any resulting claim would not be covered. Update the client's record card when the patch test has taken place. Records should be kept for seven years.

I have clarified with BABTAC that I only need to patch test before the first tint as long as the service is performed regularly. I also need to re test if the client's medical history changes (medication) or I change brand.

I asked about the manufactuer's instructions when clarifing this. I use combinal which reccomends a test before use but doesn't state amount of hours before or that it needs doing every time.

I am now not going to worry any longer! :lol:

Beyond a joke....these are the same insurance companies who accredit one day courses, but will not cover professional and qualified therapists to carry out tinting without a patch test EVERY time?? There is a real gap in the market for a new insurer with a bit of common sense to step in here and steal a lot of clients away....

What really makes me laugh is everyone thinks their insurance is really good and they have a great policy.

You never know how good your insurance will be until you make a claim, or someone claims against yourself.

Written disclaimers are worthless in court, insurance companies back peddle.

Its your choice, but I would test every time.

I've just been in contact with BABTAC, their policy is:

A skin patch test is required at least 24 hours before treating a client for the first time. Always follow manufacturer's recommendations. If your client has any allergic reaction to the patch test you are advised not to perform the treatment as any resulting claim would not be covered. Update the client's record card when the patch test has taken place. Records should be kept for seven years.

I have clarified with BABTAC that I only need to patch test before the first tint as long as the service is performed regularly. I also need to re test if the client's medical history changes (medication) or I change brand.

I asked about the manufactuer's instructions when clarifing this. I use combinal which reccomends a test before use but doesn't state amount of hours before or that it needs doing every time.

I am now not going to worry any longer! :lol:

I'm going to check with refectocil now that this is clarified. I don't think I have a box handy so can't check.

M

I'm going to check with refectocil now that this is clarified. I don't think I have a box handy so can't check.

M

Refectocil instructions say to test before every application.

I replied to thread on this before about patch testing. We have in salon patch test papers which we sell for a £1.00. It's like a transfer you put on your arm, rub and a dark patch appears, if they are sensitive a rash etc appears. This would help a mobile therapist as you could leave one with them, and ask them to put it on 48 hrs before,as the mark will still be there so you know they have genuinely used it! Down side for able they are quite expensive.

Thanks for that. Its cheaper than traveling to clients every time before a tint! :hug:

I suspect that unless the brand of the test papers is the same brand as that which you will use on the actual treatment itself it will not count as a valid sensitivity test.
Again - check with the manufacturers AND the insurance companies before proceeding.

M

When I rang babtac, I told them that my tint combinal, also recommended I use their cleansing lotion and their special eye pads!
I am just making the point that I don't use combinal a other products and yet babtac will still cover me.
The girl I originally spoke to passed me over to a more senior member if staff who suggested that this thread on salon geek was scaremongering.
Even though it dies make everyone more aware of the need to follow strict procedure where tinting and indeed other treatments are concerned.

Excuse the mistakes! When you get so far down on my phone, you can't see what you're writing!!

I suspect that unless the brand of the test papers is the same brand as that which you will use on the actual treatment itself it will not count as a valid sensitivity test.
Again - check with the manufacturers AND the insurance companies before proceeding.

Yes, i googled and came across a similar discussion on a hair forum. It also said that tests that clients use themselves would probably not cover you.

When I rang babtac, I told them that my tint combinal, also recommended I use their cleansing lotion and their special eye pads!
I am just making the point that I don't use combinal a other products and yet babtac will still cover me.
The girl I originally spoke to passed me over to a more senior member if staff who suggested that this thread on salon geek was scaremongering.
Even though it dies make everyone more aware of the need to follow strict procedure where tinting and indeed other treatments are concerned.

Hmm, unless I had this in writing from my insurers I wouldn't go off this. If anything was to happen, they'd say they either hadn't said it (no proof they've said it if verbal) or say you should have followed the manufacturers instructions. I'd be extremely surprised if they didnt pass the buck.

Scaremongering? What a silly thing for them to say to you honey.

Fact is every insurance co. are slightly different and indeed some are contradicting- patch test 48 hours before test every 6 months, but follow manufacturers direction who say tint every time. The point is we all need to know what procedure to follow as god forbid something goes wrong and your insurance says sorry we won't get involved because you failed to follow x, y and z. These are legitimate questions to bring up with your insurer, it's a pity manufacturers, legislation boards and insurance companies don't work together more closely. Dont even get me started on the whole diabetic can we, cant we treat.

Keep asking your insurance companies, this is info you need to know. Scaremongering my ass. X x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

How dare they say that to you!
Frankly they have a bloody nerve to suggest such a thing and I will be speaking to them about this tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back