Where do you all stand on patch testing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank goodness for salon geek, I would have no idea about this had I not come on !
Such a pain we will definitely lose clients over this, no one will want patch tests every month before there treatment, some can't understand the need to be tested in the 1st place (of course we do )
As Lynne says if that's what we have to do, that's what we will do, to cover ourselves.
Clients will not like it though and find someone who does not insist on it.

Makes you wonder whether its the HD fashion that has caused the problem and more claims.For years we have been avoiding tinting the skin and now tint is being applied all over the skin and left on for much longer than we all used to,to get it to stain the skin.Also people are having it done every week or so to keep the look.Over exposure I guess.Looks like we have shot ourselves in the foot.

Hi Hun,
Just wanted to say I was HD trained in November. We were told they ask you to patch test after every client, they now have the patch test transfers that you give to your clients after their treatment. It also has a appointment card on the back. I think it works out a extra 50p per treatment which is nothing just to be covered.

In regards to HD tinting the skin, the main reason you tint messily is to pick up the vellus hair that can be incorporated into the brow. The whole point isn't to tint the surrounding skin. Obviously if leaves a desirable stain but as we all know this doesn't last more than a day.

We were never told about clients coming to top up with tint, we were told that its a pro product! So unsure how Rylan got his hands on it lol but Dermaspa is where he goes for his treatments

Just wanted to clear any confusion

Xxxx

I think the best thing to do is ring and check with your insurance company, I am just changing to refectocil tint which states to patch test each time but after speaking to my insurance they have said as long as I re test all my clients now I will only need to re test every 12 months although I tend to every 6 months

Hi Hun,
Just wanted to say I was HD trained in November. We were told they ask you to patch test after every client, they now have the patch test transfers that you give to your clients after their treatment. It also has a appointment card on the back. I think it works out a extra 50p per treatment which is nothing just to be covered.

In regards to HD tinting the skin, the main reason you tint messily is to pick up the vellus hair that can be incorporated into the brow. The whole point isn't to tint the surrounding skin. Obviously if leaves a desirable stain but as we all know this doesn't last more than a day.

We were never told about clients coming to top up with tint, we were told that its a pro product! So unsure how Rylan got his hands on it lol but Dermaspa is where he goes for his treatments

Just wanted to clear any confusion

Xxxx

No confusion on my part.Im not picking on HD as a product more of the look whichever tint is being used.
Unfortunately the way the look is achieved is by a potentially skin reactive product being applied generously all over the skin for longer periods of time than is recommended.I do the treatment myself,but I'm playing devils advocate,as this could well be the reason why people are getting reactions.Its a chemical that is made to dye hair and not skin.

I think the best thing to do is ring and check with your insurance company, I am just changing to refectocil tint which states to patch test each time but after speaking to my insurance they have said as long as I re test all my clients now I will only need to re test every 12 months although I tend to every 6 months
What insurance company are you with as this sounds a lot more sensible.Im with the guild but I will be looking to change if their policy is every time.

Hi all, firstly to Kayle, can i ask who you are insured with?
and just to add to all this, what a blow to our profession. I wasn't aware of this at all till last night on here, and have been on this phone all morning. My insurance (Professional Beauty) states all clients are to be patch tested for the 1st time, but also in another section states all manufacturers instructions must be followed. Right, Strictly Professional (Bellitas) state you now must test before every tinting treatment 48hrs before with no more than a week before, this isn't on their instructions she admitted? as i didnt have it to hand, because there are now many factors that come into a reaction like medication etc.
Again back to insurance to get some further questions that yes, manufacturers instuctions over rule everything and a client simply wishing to go ahead,which i know mine will say to me, even with a signature, you would not be covered. How long have we all not been aware of this and not covered. I retest every 6 mths when not regularly tinted but now thats not enought. Clients will go down the road to salons that won't adhere or more alarmingly aren't aware.
Its really all down to a claiming society that we have become, as there really been such a rise in claims? iv used the same product for around 17yrs with no problems at all. i know theres always a 1st, i know we need to cover ourselves and protect our clients safety but it soon won't be worth the hassle staying in this industry :Scared:
I'm salon based, but i quess one way around it is to go out to clients to patch test. either way it will be diffificult arranging this to be convenient for both parties with work and other commitments. Its going to be crazy, i do some clients tint fortnight or three weekly. Is this not testing enough?

Last edited:
I'm insured with ABT insurance, I am going to e-mail them to ask for written confirmation that what I've been told is correct

My main issue with this is not only is it a pain in the butt for the client, but when my salon opens, I'm home based. So people can't just tip up when it's convenient for them in case I have a client in. I will have to either book them a time, or teach my dad how to patch test them so that he can do it if I'm busy! Which doesn't look very professional.

My website does say that a patch test is required 48hrs before any tinting is carried out. So I'm gonna call ABT and check with Refectocil and see what they say and then maybe change my wording to clarify.

I'm insured with ABT insurance, I am going to e-mail them to ask for written confirmation that what I've been told is correct

I would check especially if it states anywhere like mine, to follow manufacturers instructions x

I would check especially if it states anywhere like mine, to follow manufacturers instructions x

Yeah I am definitely going to ask for confirmation as I did mention on the phone it usually states to follow manufactures instructions but she still said it would be ok, it's best to double check and be safe :)

Hi,

I thought i'd let you know that i have just spoken with my insurance company (ABT) and they only ask for an initial patch test and then again if the product is changed!

Hope this may help some of you x

OK, here is the email response from Salon Systems...

Hi Lynne,

Thank you for your email.

We’d recommend that a patch test is carried out before each and every application because it is possible to become sensitive to a product even though someone might be a regular user.

The patch test should be carried out 48-72 hours before the treatment and the area should be left uncovered. If no irritation occurs then you can carry out the treatment.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Salon System

Great.

OK, here is the email response from Salon Systems...

Hi Lynne,

Thank you for your email.

We’d recommend that a patch test is carried out before each and every application because it is possible to become sensitive to a product even though someone might be a regular user.

The patch test should be carried out 48-72 hours before the treatment and the area should be left uncovered. If no irritation occurs then you can carry out the treatment.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Salon System

Great.

Oh the joys. I have yet to hear an official, written word back from babtac.

Hi,

I thought i'd let you know that i have just spoken with my insurance company (ABT) and they only ask for an initial patch test and then again if the product is changed!

That's great news. I'm with ABT too. Are they happy to give you confirmation of this in writing?

Hi,

This is good for ABT clients, but what does your tint brand say, if they say different, i would still go with that as my insurers stated even tho patch test initially, the manufacturers instructions of before every time overides this always and i would bet all tints will now say this x

Hi,

I'm with ABT too.....sounds as though they are using good common sense here!!! Thanks for that Amy.

However, I hope they let their customers know if they change their rules.

PB
x

Hi,

I wish babtac did this!

I would check the instructions on the packaging and then tell your insurer what it says. I'm willing to bet they tell you to follow the instructions...

This is good for ABT clients, but what does your tint brand say, if they say different, i would still go with that as my insurers stated even tho patch test initially, the manufacturers instructions of before every time overides this always and i would bet all tints will now say this x

I with ABT and use Professional Beauty Systems tint. With my contact lenses in ANY my super strength glasses the instructions on the box says "Patch test must be completed 48 hours before use".

It does NOT say that patch test must be completed before EVERY treatment so I am sticking to this! As my lecturer at college told me, a client can develop an allergy to a product at any time so even testing every 12 months is an arbitary time as a client could develop an allergy at month later!!! So long as you are sticking to the same product then I don't think retesting more than every 12 months is necessary.

From an insurance point of view however, you MUST follow manufacturers recommendations to the letter otherwise your insurance company won't pay out in the event of a claim. I predict that some tint manufacturers will either have to change their instructions or lose an awful lot of business as therapists will move to other brands where patch testing only needs to take place the first time you see a client or every 12 months.

Watch this space!

PB
x

I with ABT and use Professional Beauty Systems tint. With my contact lenses in ANY my super strength glasses the instructions on the box says "Patch test must be completed 48 hours before use".

It does NOT say that patch test must be completed before EVERY treatment so I am sticking to this! As my lecturer at college told me, a client can develop an allergy to a product at any time so even testing every 12 months is an arbitary time as a client could develop an allergy at month later!!! So long as you are sticking to the same product then I don't think retesting more than every 12 months is necessary.

From an insurance point of view however, you MUST follow manufacturers recommendations to the letter otherwise your insurance company won't pay out in the event of a claim. I predict that some tint manufacturers will either have to change their instructions or lose an awful lot of business as therapists will move to other brands where patch testing only needs to take place the first time you see a client or every 12 months.

Watch this space!

PB
x
mine doesnt say on the box, but they have verbally told me thay recommend every time - how we are suppose to know this and who will the insurers go with?

Latest posts

Back