Where would you rather go for your treatment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read through the thread again and no-one has said that mobile or home based therapists are second rate and no-one has even implied it!
I don't think they are second rate at all.
It's like having a drink. Now i still want a good glass of Baileys rather than a cheap copy. Some people prefer staying at home to drink,some like to go to a friends house or some like going to the pub.
Me-i'd go to the pub cos i like the atmosphere and want to feel like i've had a good night out.
:)

Well you've never been to my house then :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have never had a home visit, tbh I have never thought about it... I don't much like Salons.
I have only ever found 1 where the technician/ hairdresser/ therapist actually gives you a genuine smile and hello.
I prefer to go to home salons, I also go by reputation and I have never been disappointed yet. I go to what I consider to be some of the best I have come across. And I met them on here, very professional, full services given, no short cuts, and undivided attention.
I cant ask for better than that, and I would rather give my money to someone that I actually enjoy going to see and getting a great service to boot :hug:

Most salons I have been to don't have any ambience.

Went to a hair salon on Friday just for a blow dry, the girls were whispering behind the basins while I was being rinsed. It wasn't good.

Had my nails done yesterday at a nail bar, nice enough girl but £55 for overlays which are not at all even and my cuticles look completely ragged.

I have a mobile hairdresser coming to do my blow dry today and I am really looking forward to it and I will be doing my own nails next time (if I cannot persuade Gelly to come and see me :lol:)

My point is, it's the therapist / tech that makes the difference, not the building they are working from. Home based salons can have a beautiful ambience.

Furthermore, I am home based and I am very very busy!

Not wanting to ruffle anyone's feathers here, but I do see francesXXX's point of view, the assumption that a salon experience will be more relaxng etc is a little insulting to us home-based and mobile therapists. It's a total generalisation.

I have read this thread with great interest as like the poster am looking to convert my garage for when I get started.
It appears that this is a very personal opinion - those who have high street salons prefer going to one and those who have home salons don't mind going to another home based salon or even have a mobile therapist visiting them. From personal experience of visiting high street salons myself, I always feel a little intimidated by staff at reception booking me in with a less than geniune greeting, followed by the therapist who would usher me into the treatment room with very little personal conversation/interaction other than 'hi, how are you', or at most some chat about the weather :rolleyes:
This is why I would like to think that for those who have home based salons will give their clients a more personal service because they only have the one client to look after at a time ( I have not experienced a home based salon yet, so will try this out to see if my theory is true :lol:). Although having said that, I think it's more difficult for a home based salon to gain clients because clients are always more trusting of a high street salon. So word of mouth will be the best way to gain and maintain clients for home based me thinks:)

I have to agree with Zoe. Not always but most people who have their own business go out of their way to provide a more personal service. I have a home based salon too and I get many comments on how nice and relaxing my beauty room is. I intended to make it so as I know I would be competing against high street salons. :hug:

Personally, I find this a bit insulting! I have worked in a salon twice before and find working mobile and home-based works better for me.

I am left feeling here that my services are second rate! My clients would disagree with the answers given. I offer a fully professional service and am on top of my game.

I am a fully qualified tech and continuing my training, does that make me a lesser tech because I don't have a salon :irked:

To me I don't mind where I go or who comes to me as long as they are good!

This thread wasnt meant to be Insulting - I also work home-based and that works great for me. This is a thread for all therapists to take a look and see the reasons why they would chose where they would like their treatments. I for one have took on some new things to better my service since reading other peoples comments.

Ooooh I can see all sides to this discussion and there are so many variables, no rights or wrongs for me. Speaking as a 'Customer,' I am interested in the quality of the service first and foremost. I go to the same hairdressing salon religiously and feel I've built a friendly relationship with them, they know what I want, they deliver it and I have a pleasant and relaxing time.

I have had my nails done a few times in salons in the past, once regularly with the same person for a few months, and a couple of random ones who were ports in storms and I wasn't terribly pleased at all with what I got. I once had a mobile therapist and wasn't impressed, but that was down to her skills, nothing else. She also asked me if she could be leaving one thing to 'Take' whilst doing another, or she'd be there all night! Again, that was down to her attitude and I didn't call her again.

Haven't tried one, but I quite fancy the idea of a home salon. I'm not saying I would necessarily get a more personal service, but it does have some appeal. Overall, though, if whoever/wherever is giving me the service I want and doesn't make me feel like I'm on a conveyor belt, I'm far more likely to call on their services again. :)

I suspect that whether one prefers mobile, home-based or salons to visit is a large factor in the type of business that individual eventually sets up. But ultimately there is room for all these types of business as is evident from the spectrum of preferences shown in this thread. It doesn't mean one is better than the other, just that as each of our individual needs differ in a treatment so will our preferences.

I'd like to point out that whilst skill of the therapist is the most important consideration there are others, e.g. some find it difficult to leave their house, some like to get out of their noisy house, these will have bearance on which they choose. This doesn't make the one better than the other, just more suitable to that individual. I hope this puts to rest the idea that having a preference somehow denigrates the others!

Well I have NEVER had a nice experience in a salon and I've tried lots! I'm sure there are some lovely salon therapists, I like to think I was one when I worked in a salon but I have found all the therapists I've been to have cut my treatments short and have seemed overworked and uninterested in making me feel welcome. So would rather someone come to me or me go to them as they usually give a more relaxing personal experience.

Luckily the areas I cover as a mobile therapist see a home visit as an extra luxury.

As other posters have said, it would generally depend on the reputation of the therapist or technician, but I don't drive which rules out many many salons, home or otherwise, for me.

I would love to find a mobile therapist for nails and waxing, but unfortunately the ones that have leafleted my house can't be bothered to spellcheck their flyers, which makes me wonder what else they wouldn't bother to do! I did find an excellent-looking website for a mobile tech but she never answered my email enquiry, so again, can't be bothered means I can't be bothered to book you.

Well I have NEVER had a nice experience in a salon and I've tried lots! I'm sure there are some lovely salon therapists, I like to think I was one when I worked in a salon but I have found all the therapists I've been to have cut my treatments short and have seemed overworked and uninterested in making me feel welcome. So would rather someone come to me or me go to them as they usually give a more relaxing personal experience.

Luckily the areas I cover as a mobile therapist see a home visit as an extra luxury.

Well if your up this end of the country anytime cal in and try my salon :lol:
The kettle is on as soon as your in the door, I never cut anybodys treatment short and clients have commented how homely it is.
I started out with a home base salon(shed in the bottem on the garden) and I took on board evrything my clients said about how nice it was to have a homely/welcoming feeling service and not being made to feel in the way or uncomfortable.
The only difference between my home salon and the one I'm in now is the extra space and my dogs not scratching at the door wanting to be nosey :lol: oh and the extra overheads :irked:

On a personal level I would never go to a home salon unless I knew the person or they had been recomended by someone I knew (that is puerly a safety issue)

I don't think that home based salons are second rate at all,it's the threapist that 'makes' the service/experience not the salon, and yes I do agree that in some bigger salons the customer can be made to feel 'get you in, done and out of the door as fast as possible.(doesn't make them all bad though)

I think I've totaly contradicted evrything I've just written because I can see both sides of the debate :lol:

I wouldn't care where the treatment was done....it is all down to who is doing the treatment IMHO.
I would follow a good therapist wherever she went.
I have had treatments in salons in a therapists house, and on one occasion in my own house had a course of reflexology when I was a model for a students case study.

The only one that was a bit of a hassle, was the treatment in my house, as I had to make sure I had done my housework :eek:

That said, Martigirl is my therapist now, and I wouldn't care if she moved and did treatments on the dark side of the moon, I would still book and go!
I wouldn't even mind giving my house a good bottoming for her to come to me!!!

Personally id prefer them to come to me. This then means i dont need to "get dressed" so to speak... and id feel more relaxed in my own home because i can have my t.v on or my music or have drinks whenever i wanted etc etc. And its easier for timing because me personally i am a mobile nail technician and i can work "out of hours" i.e 6.30 all the way till 9 if i want to because people cant get appointments in the day due to work commitments. x

Latest posts

Back