Which advertising pays off the best?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which advertising has paid off the best?

• Yellow Pages

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Yell.com

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Leaflet Drop

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Local Village Mag

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Word of Mouth

Votes: 84 72.4%
  • any others you'd care to share?

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
If you monitor it, which advertising would you say has paid off the best?

word of mouth for me....and the local rag.....had a couple from yell.com (free) but never had any from leaflet drops or posters in shops.

i also prefer clients from word of mouth as its great feedback....most of my clients know each other in a round about way....:lol: x

Local paer for me. Got some work (but only2% response) from leaflet drop, slightly better from Vistaprint cards (had added tanning by then) but it is the paper for me now.

I have tried lots of different advertising mediums or is it media LOL.

What seems to be best for me is Yell.com with the web link - people search for, say nails in my town and they get a list, as I have a web link they can go straight to my website and find out more.

Also having a good website helps as people are using search engines more and more.

However, what I dont always know is if someone has asked one of my clients where they had their nails done and they have said, Fiona, she is in YP. When I ask where they got my name from and they say YP, I dont know if it has actually been word of mouth.

Hope that makes a smidgen of sense LOL.

In terms of pure income and return on investment YP has worked best for me..... It's not cheap (this year's ad is around the £1700 mark) but it makes it's money back and then some..... Over the 2 years I've been in YP it's generated almost 200% profit!

Word of mouth is my next best income generator. The local paper did well for a while, but the responses tailed off over the last couple of months so I'm knocking that on the head for now.

Leaflet dropping brought my diddly squat, as did anything to do with weddings (wedding fayre and a bridal supplement)......

I'm a bit anal about monitoring my income (trends/patterns/up or down on last week/month/year), so keep a detailed record of what I spend on advertising and how much it brings me back......!!!

hth's

Word of mouth and yellow pages.

What about websites? Do they generate any/much business?

I agree that there is nothing like word of mouth, but as I don't have a big client base at the mo I find all my enquiries coming yell.com .

Word of mouth, together also with making sure my nails always have polish, gel or some form of nail art on, so self-advertising.

yellow pages first...then word of mouth

In terms of pure income and return on investment YP has worked best for me..... It's not cheap (this year's ad is around the £1700 mark)

:eek: :eek: please say you got 3 pages vetty..

I'd love to see all your yellow pages adverts, to give me a better idea of where to start !! I'm thinking of using them in the future.

word of mouth for me, I've not done any other form of advertising as yet, o0h I did do a leaflet drop but got nothing from this.

There is nothing better than word of mouth.
Yellow pages can work but its when you have the client IN the door and you share your knowledge with them.
Then they go and tell someone else and they come in and it starts all over again...What joy...LOL:)

Sadly I don't have 3 pages Clara!!!!

Here's my current ad, the new one is out next month with a few tweaks but size etc is staying the same.....

http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6541

hth's

:)
cheers for that, it looks great vetty, I particularly like the use of the the word 'bespoke' I've been thinking of using this word for a while as I think it gives off the right impression. reminds me of very expensive bridal shops and shoes

:)
cheers for that, it looks great vetty, I particularly like the use of the the word 'bespoke' I've been thinking of using this word for a while as I think it gives off the right impression. reminds me of very expensive bridal shops and shoes

My headline on the new ad is 'Get a salon service without leaving home'

Word of mouth and Yellow Pages for me too... :hug:

Has to be the yellow pages & my website for me 100%

Together they have worked brilliantly BUT you have to deciede what market/public you are aiming for & then advertise/market to them.

The pricing for services in my area is pretty low.. so I don't bother competeing with it, it's there & offered to all if they want great products & service's they pay. But living in a hoilday/tourist town at the end of the day you are left with what's already here.

We cater to corporate - large groups & bridal parties that visit & stay in up market accomodations, so say 3 of those a weekend makes up for a month of working in the mainstram. The home salon & the gym salon are just a bonus
but not the be all & end all for me.

HtH

XX J XX

Word of mouth with out a doubt.

You can't beet recommendation. :)

I advertise in the yellow pages and yell.com and get a few enquieris from them, but the best advertising for me has been the local sunbed shop, themanager there used to have nail techs in but had probs getting them to stay so has stopped renting the space. She gives out my cards and flyers and recommends me to loads of people, I am getting on average 4 new clients a week at the moment from her! She has been doing this for about a year and without her I honestly dont think I would be doing as well as I am, soI feel very lucky!:)

What about websites? Do they generate any/much business?
Ive have a contact form set up on my website and have had about 5 new clients in the last month, but not much before that. However this could be because i have made myself easier to find now on google by updating my homepage with key details about what i do and the area i work in!
Other than that its word of mouth (mainly work collegues from my other job)!

Latest posts

Back