Which do you find gets asked for more - Shellac or Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there :)

I have had the chance to use both products in my career and I have to say I like them both for different clients. I find Gelish great for my younger clients as they have a vast variety of colours, for example glitters and neons.

However, shellac is better for my older clients as they have a larger variety of each colour i.e. reds etc and what I like to class as everyday colours.

Personally I believe that Gelish provides much more strength than shellac, however having released Brisa lite that may very well change.

At the moment I only stock gelish and I have approximately 30 colours, however I am currently in the process of saving for the platinum collection of shellac which I want to buy next week.

BOTH products have an excellent reputation, excellent customer service and excellent reviews my honest opinion is try both and if finances allow stock both.

As an educator myself I agree with Geeg. A lot of companies will choose to demo on little fingers etc as its the easy option. I remember when I first started training for an independent training company and when on my induction they actually told me to make sure that I did all my demonstrations on a small finger?! When I questioned and asked why they said because it will always look the nicest as its dainty and take less of a beating on the little finger?! Bizarre but true! Lol

I hope this helps! Good luck with your decision

Jody x

It is still better to try on yourself first, when I was deciding and asked in salons that only offered shellac, I was told I didn't need to book a removal as it would just peel off! This helped me make my decision, those salons, and it was three of them, now all offer gelish in favour of shellac. I have had numerous clients who had shellac and complained it didn't last on them.

Try before you invest as its a lot of money if it doesn't work out OK on your clients. I would rather have a hard wearing product than have to add another product i.e brisa lite to make it last as again this is more money :) x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

It is still better to try on yourself first, when I was deciding and asked in salons that only offered shellac, I was told I didn't need to book a removal as it would just peel off! This helped me make my decision, those salons, and it was three of them, now all offer gelish in favour of shellac. I have had numerous clients who had shellac and complained it didn't last on them.

Try before you invest as its a lot of money if it doesn't work out OK on your clients. I would rather have a hard wearing product than have to add another product i.e brisa lite to make it last as again this is more money :) x

This thread is getting silly especially when I see posts like this one. Absolute ignorant nonsense.

Shellac lasts just as long and is just as strong and hard wearing as any other UV colour coat, with or without Brisa Lite (which is not to make Shellac last longer, it is to make weak nails stronger which will in turn increase wear time only for clients with weak bendy, badly damaged nails).

Every trained Shellac user could and would testify to the fact that Shellac does not peel and we all know that thousands and thousands of users have made their business with it with happy satisfied clients.

Last edited:
I use both Shellac and Gelish and can honestly say there is nothing between them in terms of durability in my experience - both can last 3 weeks and longer if it wasn't for the regrowth.

The only thing that Gelish has over Shellac is the colour range (without having to layer). I let the client make a choice based on colour. In answer to the OP's original question - in this area my clients have heard have both and they are not biased towards either...they choose by colour.

As a tech, I slightly prefer applying Gelish - only slightly. The consistency is a little bit easier to work with although that can differ between colours!

S2 customer support though is second to none - better than Harmony's in my experience.

Training wise, there's nothing in it. My CND educator and my Harmony educator are both excellent :hug:

HTH :hug:

To be honest I don't see the point of this thread, yes research is needed before an investment in a new product range is made...but....we Gelish users will all say it is the best and Shellac users will say it is the best.....so what will the OP learn?

As to what is asked for, people can phone me asking for Shellac, but when I inform them that I use Gelish and explain its benefits they still book with me. Even when one of the Hair stylists in the Salon deals with a call like this (who knows nothing about the products) explains its Gelish not Shellac the appointment still gets made.

A good Nail tech who uses premium products, knows them inside out, and uses them properly will get clients and keep them.

This is what my own personal research found and I stand by it! Sorry if you don't like it but there it is

Do we really need to be so petulant ?

I was prepared to keep this thread open, but I think now it really has reached the end of the road, and the OP has enough information to make an informed choice, whatever that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back