Which do you find gets asked for more - Shellac or Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, nail harmony (Gelish) also have a salon locator on their website.

For the record, nail harmony (Gelish) also have a salon locator on their website.

The S2 locator is not just for every buyer of Shellac, ONLY those that S2 KNOW have and use, the entire system including the correct UV lampand those who have a certificate of education with Shellac. If they are not regular buyers, they get knocked off the locator. I think the S2 Salon locator is actually very strict as to who is eligible to be a part of it; the Salons, Mobile Nail professionals and independent qualified users; it's not just a case of buy it and you're on; its not a customer data base. The strict approach protects not only the clients who get the Shellac service they have asked for and paid for, but also the nail professionals who use it. :D
Shellac
Sorry OP to take the thread off topic .. it was not my intention.

Last edited:
I have both CND Shellac and NH Gelish in my salon. My older clients ask for Shellac, but my younger clients ask for Gelish - I think because of the neons and brighter colours.
But in truth if I was about to invest, I would be looking for education & support; both on the phone and in person (i.e, EA's that are local to you so you can build up a rapport).
Secondly, the company you choose is supporting you FULLY as a Nail Professional.
Thirdly, which is a bug bear of mine, customer service & delivery. When I place an order, I want it delivered NOW :lol: hehehe! well not now:rolleyes:, but within 48 hours of placing the order, and if it is out of stock, I want to be able to see that on line, not when receiving my order!

I hope that helps you to come to a 'wise' decision. And do remember which ever you choose, you can still cure both with the same CND lamp! ;)

I've said it before but I'll say it again. CND defiantly. It's in a different league to everything else as far as I can see. I made a huge mistake and its going to cost me a lot but I'm determined to have all CND products and training by the summer. I do offer some Gelish too but some of the colours are dodgy!

I would go with shellac, as it's asked for all the time, then if later you wanted to add a few gelish colours it can be cured with your cnd lamp, but for me it's shellac!

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply. I have several different brands because i wanted to offer more colour choice and clients were wanting colours shellac didnt offer so i also bought a few gelish colours and glitters (i will build these up over time because i dont like incomplete stuff haha terrible business sense but awesome ocd practises!) but nobody has ever had any! People just go for shellac! Even when they have said they wanted other colours? Ive never had anybody ask for gelish but i have had london/essex clients who have said gelish is more popular in their area so maybe it depends on area? People (clients and some naughty techs) call anything that isnt off in like 4days shellac so surely that says alot about what people are asking for if salons are pretending their stuff is something its not?

I had a client the other day tell me she had a salons 'own brand shellac' that had 'young nails' written on the bottle!x

Thanks for all your replys.

Right I'm 99% shellac & 1% gelish now lol

If I'm honest. I have a hairdressers smack bang on my corner doing gelish & they are always busy, I walk passed most days & they always have clients sat at the nail table, a few others do gelish too, so maybe too much gelish around me now i think of it, a lot do shellac too but i know for most its not the real deal, i have seen people offering artistic colour gloss saying its shellac!

so if I do shellac I'd be doing it all correctly & would make sure everyone knew that I use all the cnd products etc..

I have a dummy transaction in sweet squared basket & I'm itching to press order, these are the colours I have in my basket.

Negligee
Cream puff
Wildfire
Fedora
Hot pop pink
Rubble
Rock royalty
City scape
Tropix
Asphalt

Then next week when cake pop & lilac longing are back in stock I would order those then. I am also ordering 3 or 4 holographic glitters to do some rockstar colour pops for a little more choice.

I also would like 'one' colour to layer over the top to make an extra few colours on colour pops. Which one would you recommend?

How do my colours look? anything you would take off or add?

I wish I could afford all colours at once, but I will have to stop being a brat lol & order a couple a month.

Do you think I have enough selection for clients to start with?

Thanks geekys - did you know I'm excited? ;) x

haha mega long post there! Sorry! x

Lush-Lash, well done! You have made the RIGHT choice!! ;) you wise lady!!
Press the button to buy & don't forget to factor in training as this is important to get the best out of the product & get to know the S2 family😀 Enjoy!! 💕💕

If I'm honest. I have a hairdressers smack bang on my corner doing gelish & they are always busy, I walk passed most days & they always have clients sat at the nail table, a few others do gelish too, so maybe too much gelish around me now i think of it, a lot do shellac too but i know for most its not the real deal, i have seen people offering artistic colour gloss saying its shellac!

so if I do shellac I'd be doing it all correctly & would make sure everyone knew that I use all the cnd products etc..

I have a dummy transaction in sweet squared basket & I'm itching to press order, these are the colours I have in my basket.

Negligee
Cream puff
Wildfire
Fedora
Hot pop pink
Rubble
Rock royalty
City scape
Tropix
Asphalt

Then next week when cake pop & lilac longing are back in stock I would order those then. I am also ordering 3 or 4 holographic glitters to do some rockstar colour pops for a little more choice.

I also would like 'one' colour to layer over the top to make an extra few colours on colour pops. Which one would you recommend?

I wish I could afford all colours at once, but I will have to stop being a brat lol & order a couple a month.

Just wanted to say I've had asphalt for ages (months and months) and used it 4 times. Blackpool a fortnight and used it twice and cocoa a month and used or 8 times xx

Negligee
Cream puff
Wildfire
Fedora
Hot pop pink
Rubble
Rock royalty
City scape
Tropix
Asphalt

I wouldn't bother with cityscape and would get midnight swim or purple purple instead.

I would get rid of Cityscape and get Masquerade or Red Baroness, you need a deep dark red! x

Moonlight and roses is gorgeous for layering and also very pretty with a French too x

One of the things that upsets me about this site is people don't recommend to newbies that they "try before they buy".

If you have total faith in the product you are using you will know that any newbie will choose it if they properly research i.e. doing proper trials.

A person doesn't have to trial everything .. Reputation says heaps more about a product than a one off trial. If someone asks for advise re this or that then answering the question means you give your experience, not tell them to try every product in the book. That is unrealistic and furthermore, doesn't answer the posters question.

Take shows ... People get a different product on every nail. They come home and, wow ... The littltle fingers had a longer wear time than the index and middle so ... Therefore the production the middle finger must be better?? Nonsense. :lol: little fingers get no wear and tear so they always last longer.

Never trust companies that give you a demo trial on your least used fingers.

I trust the brand I use so implicitly that I don't have to trial everything else to know its going to be excellent. There is not one product they manufacture that is not the best of its kind or that will not perform; and such is the reputation they have.

What I think is upsetting is when technicians tell newbies that they use a product but don't follow the company protocols and try to mislead them into thinking they can do the same. ;)

Its just a shame that such heavy sales pitches have to be given rather than unbiased advice. Whatever the product chosen the nail tech cannot know which she/he will prefer unless they try a few.

I would substitute asphalt and cityscape with blackpool and masquerade personally. Masquerade is by far my most popular colour and you can do a wicked glitter fade with blackpool and silver holo- again one of my most requested glitter nails! That said when choosing colours to begin with look at what season youre going to start offering services so for spring summer look to order more brights including reds, especially if youre looking at offering pedis too :) x x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Its just a shame that such heavy sales pitches have to be given rather than unbiased advice. Whatever the product chosen the nail tech cannot know which she/he will prefer unless they try a few.

Very well put.

I answer the questions with my experience and expertise .. I have used both the products mentioned don't forget; I'm not in sales .. I'm a nail technician and you couldn't ask for better advice than from someone who has used the products for years. Why is my recommendation biased, but all the other users who have posted are not biased nor sales pitches .. why do you consider your opinion unbiased and not a sales pitch? Everyone has a bias towards the products they use or they wouldn't recommend them.

I answer the questions with my experience and expertise .. I have used both the products mentioned don't forget; I'm not in sales .. I'm a nail technician and you couldn't ask for better advice than from someone who has used the products for years. Why is my recommendation biased, but all the other users who have posted are not biased nor sales pitches .. why do you consider your opinion unbiased and not a sales pitch? Everyone has a bias towards the products they use or they wouldn't recommend them.

I actually didn't mention you in particular. All my posts suggested that the OP try before buying. I also am an experienced nail technician who has tried both products. Clearly some like one and some like the other, that is precisely why people should try them both before investing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back