Which kind of nails do you find most challenging? can we help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi all

Just thought i'd ask:green:

I had someone in the other day with TEENY nail beds, like a childs and very ski jump...boy they were awkward to do.

Whats your nightmare nail challenge and why?

amb x

My nightmare is bitten or really short nails that are wide/flat. I always seem to end up with a less attractive end result even when I custom blend to lengthen the nail bed, and only have a small white 'free edge'. By keeping the enhancements short (as they need) they seem to end up looking wide and unattractive :irked:. Do you know what I mean?

Any advise??

Tiny but wide nail beds!! (usually on biters) i struggle with.
I like nice big nails best xx

My first client - she is a biter but also has the tiniest nail beds possible. Even the smallest tip was too big!! There was just no room left to blend the 'ears' of the tip.:irked:

She has her 2nd rebalance next week and I'm not looking forward to it.:rolleyes:

my worse clients are the really bad nail bitters thats also attack their skin, and are getting married in the morning and didn't tell me on the phone that they had no natural nail what so ever, but wouldn't come last Friday as they wanted them ' new for the wedding' arrrhhhh guess what I've been doing this afternoon.......... and I quoted her normal price not ccb.................... double arrrhhhhh at least the bridesmaid was a dodel xx

yep I know what you mean vetty they still end up wider than longer because we are having to keep them short... interested to know the answer to this one...uummm

For biters, even those with virtually no nail plate, I tip as I can't sculpt them and make them look good.....saddle the tips as per Nailsinlondon1 tutorial....it's a bit strange to start with as you think that it won't look good, but believe me it will.....

If you are custom blending biters on tips, use the reverse application....it's so much easier and gives a better finished look!

Hi,

My worst nails to do enhancements on are the ones with really naturally curved smile line, normally a bitter who has bitten them into that shape, so that when you go to put a tip on, the stop point on the tip doesn't have full contact with the natural nail.
This leaves gaps at the corners and allows the tips to break of easily.

Any suggestions?

I love a challenge, bitten, small, wide whatever just throw it at me!!!

God i'm a geek is that sad xxx

I love a challenge, bitten, small, wide whatever just throw it at me!!!

God i'm a geek is that sad xxx

well if youre sad, so am i coz i love doing nailbiters:) they may not end up with model nails, but there is always a huge improvement and they are more impressed than anyone.

My nightmare is bitten or really short nails that are wide/flat. I always seem to end up with a less attractive end result even when I custom blend to lengthen the nail bed, and only have a small white 'free edge'. By keeping the enhancements short (as they need) they seem to end up looking wide and unattractive :irked:. Do you know what I mean?

Any advise??

i agree!!!! this type of nail has to be my nightmare too!!! as you say, they never look as nice!!!!

i can handle bitten, i can handle teeny weeny, i can even handle wide and flat.... but i abhor super long nails!!! i just can't stand to do them! of course i'm speaking of my 2nd appointment tomorrow... the customer is always right, the customer is always right....:grr: that motto doesn't fit all cases!

but i guess ya'll can't help me change a hatefull client into a wonderful one that takes my suggestions, can ya?? maybe say a silent prayer for me at 8:30am EST? that'd be great! lol

:lol:

i can handle bitten, i can handle teeny weeny, i can even handle wide and flat.... but i abhor super long nails!!! i just can't stand to do them! of course i'm speaking of my 2nd appointment tomorrow... the customer is always right, the customer is always right....:grr: that motto doesn't fit all cases!

but i guess ya'll can't help me change a hatefull client into a wonderful one that takes my suggestions, can ya?? maybe say a silent prayer for me at 8:30am EST? that'd be great! lol

:lol:
You could always charge her more for really long nails as it is more work, takes longer to do and uses more product
she may want them shorter then

The trickiest nails I do are on a lady who has really fleshy sidewalls and the nails are flat and wide and buried deep down in the finger so I really have to pull back the sidewalls and exert quite a bit of pressure to hold then back while I work. . .

I have a client with the most awful nail biting problem..they are chewed off right up to zone 3.
Her nail beds are not showing any signs of trauma ie. tenderness or any soft tissue..in fact they seem to be slightly calloused.
The problem is tips do tend to ping off after a week when the adhesive has broken down..and the worst problem is the bacterial infection that happens once tips are applied.
If she left her natural nails alone to grow out, then this would not be the continual problem that it is. I guess by applying tips, a nice little cave is created for moisture to gather.
On her first appointment and subsequent others i did tell her i would help her grow them out, but she also had to make a promise to me to keep them out of her mouth and NOT to apply stick ons in between appointments..that all she had to do was call me if she needed a repair.
I have made it clear i will only service her if she manges to keep a free edge evident and keep them growing..which would get rid of this bacterial problem.
She has been keeping two weekly apps, although the last one she cancelled as they had all come off and was going back to the UK for hols.
I do know from others she is wearing stick ons for the holiday:rolleyes: She unfortunately is booked in for the 3rd..i am seriously thinking of canceling her appointments for good.
Sculpting is not something i want to do on her, as it would be ongoing over exposure unfortunately, plus she would be the type to sue over any discomfort at all.
What would you do with her?
If any tech from perth is reading this, PM me and i will send her to you!:lol:

I hate those nails that are really narrow in zone 3 and wide at the free edge. How do you make them a nice shape, they always end up looking like spades for me.

I love doing small nail beds, I think its because my own are tiny and a bit bitten :)eek:) so I find it easier as I'm used to doing my own!

Wide nails or very long nails I find hard, as some people have already said its because you need more product, and I personally can never get enough white l&p on the free edge when they are very long, so I need 2 beads, which then makes it harder to get a nice smile line!

Any advise??
hiya vetty, for these types i always use a soft white..even dilute cnd soft white with a bit of natural..about 60/40...and try (lol) to do a deep smile..plus never shape them square...more of a almost oval..it helps a little!:lol:

I hate those nails that are really narrow in zone 3 and wide at the free edge. How do you make them a nice shape, they always end up looking like spades for me.
Me too, my BF has these fan shaped nails...normally the shape of the eponychium is the most natural shape..but that rule didnt take into account this type of nail:eek: Unless the client is into a triangular shaped nail:lol:

Latest posts

Back