Which tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydollmama

Reaction score
Any suggestions as to which are the best tips to use for nail art and glitter? I've got some clear tips that are just a nightmare to blend. I've got two sets of glitter tips booked and I want to make it as easy on myself as possible!

Thanks x

You can use clear or natural tips depending on the effect that you want, practise on both tips first before doing your clients then you will know when they come for them doing as to which to use :hug:

Is the effect very different? I assumed most people used clear tips with glitter and I bought them for that very reason although when I've been playing round with ideas I've used natural. Is there an easy blend clear tip out there?

Many thanks x

have you tried preblending your tips first, sorry i dont know if there are any that are easier to blend but if they are any out there someone will jump in and let us know, do some examples on different tips then your clients can look and choose which finish they like, it all depends how dense you want to put the glitter on as to the effect,on a clear tip if you do it thinly then you can still see through it, best to have a play around and see what you like :hug:

You know what Lou, I realised the minute I posted how silly my question was. I do want to do very dense glitter tips so I don't suppose it matters much.

Thanks hun for your help, v much appreciated x

Creative's clear tips blend like butter, I use them for glitter and embedded nail art. Try to see if you can get a sample few to try.

You know what Lou, I realised the minute I posted how silly my question was. I do want to do very dense glitter tips so I don't suppose it matters much.

Thanks hun for your help, v much appreciated x
Your welcome hun nice to know i can help a little
if your doing them dense just use the ones that are easier for you

hi

i have used clear tips for the first time tonight, they appear to be stronger than the normal tips i use, i used a bit of acetone on a cotton bud and they blended really well, the best ever in fact, hth

Is there an easy blend clear tip out there?
I always use Creative's Clear Velocity tips when doing glitter tips, they blend like a dream.
Have you tried sculpting?

i used a bit of acetone on a cotton bud and they blended really well, the best ever in fact
There are a few things to remember when using acetone to help blend a tip, you're not using filing techniques to blend the tip, you're applying acetone to the plastic tip and this in turn can cause service breakdown as the acetone carries on working on the tip after you've applied your overlay, and also when you buff/file the tip after applying the acetone you fill your abrasives up with the melted plastic and they get wasted as they're unusable again.
The best way to blend a tip professionally is to use the correct filing techniques, have a look at these tutorials by Gigi, hopefully they'll help you :wink2:
File Control Part 1 - Getting A Grip and also File Control Part 2 - Thinning and Blending Tips
hth's

I have found of all the tips I've tried, 'Asian' tips which are ultra thin, blend easier than anything. Like butter as someone else has said.
Very little effort to blend these.

I've only tried a few 'clear' aka 'glass' tips (four different brands) and found that they are too hard, and tend to be brittle and more prone to breakage than regular tips or sculpts.

IF you can, I would sculpt.

I've only recently been learning how and love it already, although I'm not the greatest at it.
I can see all the benefits... and my boxes and boxes and boxes of my wide variety of tips have been collecting dust for 2mths now.

What tip to use with the glitter would depend on how dense you want the glitter to be and if what the end result is that you want
Do you want it to be so dense, you can't see through it? Then the tip doesn't matter.
Do you want it just a bit and want a clear tip?
Do you want the "natural" nail to show through the glitter?

It really depends on what you want. There is no right or wrong way.

Hth's
:hug:

Thanks for all your help. I've ordered some asian tips in natural but I may try the crystal as well. I do want a dense glitter tip so like you said it doesn't matter too much. As for sculpting, it's something I desperately want to learn but have only practised on myself so far. Cannot wait to do some more training in the new year.

i have to say i find sculpting easier when doing any type of glitter tips or embedded art ect....
i even find it easier than sculpting white tips ..
but i would probably use natural tips as out of the ones i have tried so far ,natural always seem to be thinner than white tips

I don't know what you usually use, but Nailite's french tips are VERY thin and flexible (the ones I found locally are thick and tend to crack at the slightest bend, not great for flattish nails).
Thinner than any I've found locally.
I don't want to 'push' nailite on anyone, I just have been very pleased with them when comparing products and services to distributors locally.

hth's

If you get good results with your usual tips when doing a fullset, why not use them for nailart, or am i missing something here.

use what u feel more comfortable wiv.xxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back