who wants this site to become 'professionals only'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

professional only geek site???

• professionals only

Votes: 215 44.6%
  • anyone

Votes: 226 46.9%
  • dont know

Votes: 41 8.5%

• Total voters
I have voted anyone, im a newbie, im in the last 5weeks of college, I enter in fantastic assignments (GREAT!!!) but whats even better is being able to understand it because you guys explain it to the point I get it!! and i hate to say it but when it comes to theory i have such daft ways of understanding/explaining it. If it wasnt for this site, id probably hand in assignments that consisted of 80% knowledge 20% google info.

Plus.... How boring would it be if all the newbies were in one forum arguing over who was right or wrong and perhaps spreading incorrect information to each other, while the 'proffesionals' sit on the pro forum twiddling their thumbs trying to come up with a thread that hasnt already been posted....or that all the other proffesionals already know

I love this site the way it is, if it wasnt for the 'proffesionals' on this site id have noone to inspire to be like. I reckon if they were split the 2 forums would be boring, messy and possibly lead to people failing their education.

I think that this site should be for everybody who wants to talk about nails. afterall we all have the same interest and helping newbees (like myself) is great when we are unsure of something. you guys have helpd alot my nail tech friends and me so far so keep up the good work! xxx

I think there should be a section open to the public, for potential clients to get advice, ask questions of professionals and get an idea of what the business is really about.
It would be good to have a professional only section to discuss the aspects of the business where the knowlege could be dangerous to the public. Reading some of the threads gives people ideas of how to do nails, but without the training to back it up, the wrong kind of person could go out there and do some serious damage.
Unfortunately, it then becomes an issue of how to police it. If I tried to join a forum and they wanted me to email them a copy of my qualifications or such, I wouldn't bother. Which would be a shame, because this is an awesome site and has helped me so much...
So I don't know. Maybe an honesty policy, where you can tick a box saying whether you are a pro or not? Still open to abuse, but it would give the right impression about how serious we are about being properly trained.

Well I'm going to be brave and say what I feel . . . which is

I'd like to see the site Professionals only (yow, sorry!)

with a public section where our clients can ask questions and find info BUT that they are not privy to all our threads and posts. I work from home on my own and apart from this site I don't know any other nail techs with whom I can chew things over and I am very grateful for finding the site. If it weren't for this site I would feel a bit out on a limb.

I don't particularly like that my clients could come on and read my threads if I've had a problem or two and needed some advice or support. (Not that I ever talk of my clients in a bitchy or disparaging way) For that reason I sometimes delete my thread after a day or two. I know that is selfish because then its not there to help someone else, and I'm sorry . . .

And before anybody shoots me down, it's just my opinion, and I know GMG has already said about it not being practical or anything, and I'm not suggesting anything should change, but we were asked what we thought (albeit a while ago) so I'm just putting my five eggs in . . .

they could have a professional page and a page for everyone, or one for asking questions. just an idea. maybe what might make it a problem is that how do you prove your a professional apart from word of mouth, so in that respect we all will be, lol.

Yes that is the trouble lol

I know the site gets Googled, but we are all professional here, the amount of posts from consumers in minimal and those consumers that do come here go away with positive advice.

i too sometimes am careful of what i post and give out my details in case any of my clients see it
i would like to see the site to have a password protection on it so that after youve joined it doesnt matter wether you are new or old, but that clients cannot read what ive said about them or not as the case may be!!!

Well, you shouldn't be chatting about your clients per say on here, unless to solve a problem iyknim and then it would be anonymous!

If you are so preciuos that you need the site to become an intranet, I'm sure you wouldn't get as diverse information as we get here now.

Well, you shouldn't be chatting about your clients per say on here, unless to solve a problem iyknim and then it would be anonymous!

If you are so preciuos that you need the site to become an intranet, I'm sure you wouldn't get as diverse information as we get here now.

what i mean about chatting about my clients is,
if say one of my clients asked about nails whilst undergoing chemo, and i said i would ask ( my tutor, my book, an authority on the situation)and confirm and let her know,
whats to say she doesnt go on the internet and come across this site and finds me asking her question to thousands of people???

it would make me seen incompetant in her eyes( i think)

and would also seem intrusive as far as she was concerned!

i always try and word my posts about my clients in such a way that no one would know if i was talking about them, but would prefer to be able to post freely to only the group of nail techs that are privvy to this site by memebership

if say one of my clients asked about nails whilst undergoing chemo, and i said i would ask ( my tutor, my book, an authority on the situation)and confirm and let her know,
whats to say she doesnt go on the internet and come across this site and finds me asking her question to thousands of people???

i always try and word my posts about my clients in such a way that no one would know if i was talking about them, but would prefer to be able to post freely to only the group of nail techs that are privvy to this site by memebership

I don't see a problem if you don't name anyone mate.
I don't think you would seem incompetent you would be a seen as a good tech who wants the best for her clients.

I guess that's what I meant Nikki, just came out wrong! Sorry hun!

Just to sort of reiterate... while nice in idea, it is would be impossible to manage. What criteria would be used for determining a professional? Who would give the stamp of approval? What would prevent someone from telling a lie just to get access?

The final BIG problem is that if I visit a forum that requires registration JUST to see what is even being discussed... I skip over it as I do not have the time or inclination to register, prove my qualifications, etc... JUST to see if there is something there that strikes my fancy! Think of how many valuable members we would have potentially lost that way :)

At the end of the day, the site is useless to anyone without an avid love of the salon world. Since your clients pay you to conduct the treatments, one can assume that they are not as avid as you might think!

Who can really be asked to trollop though hundreds of posts a day to see if they are being talked about anyway? :)

nJoy

Anyone with a license is a professional. Listen, I'm not adverse to educating the public. Rather, I'm all for it. However, I do not give away services. I think if there are students out there that need help, we should give it. If there are people out there that just don't want to pay their local Salon for the service or the info, I vote "nay". I paid for my education and I continue to teach students (7 years, 100% passing rate) to be good nail techs. I have never before come across a site that welcomes non-professionals, but if that's what happens, that's what happens. :)

hi

What is a professional ?? do we all have our own ideas of what a Professional Nail Technician is?, should be?, minimum qualifications etc, time in business ?

I havent voted yet, but i just wanted to say that i didnt see myself as a "professional" when I found this site, in fact i was a complete beginner and had just embarked on a home learn course, yet it/ you have helped me enormously and i would not be where i am now, truly, if it were not for finding this site and the people on it

As a beginner, if i knew this was for "professionals" only i think i would have expected a more formal registration etc, i certainly would have been far more shy in asking questions as i would not have thought i was experienced or qualified enough to be taking advantage of this site and the people on it

I did not know at the time whether nails was the career for me - this site helped me decide, learn and grow into what i hope will be a happy fruitful career

Im really really interested to know what others think - especially people who consider themselves as "professionals" and what their thoughts on the title means - is this a dumb question ??

kx

I am pretty new to this site. I think this is my second post. I finished school and have not started working yet. I do not consider myself a professional nail tech yet and probably won't for a while. I voted because this site has alot for us beginners and advance to learn. Reading everyone's posts helps me gain the knowledge that I may need when I get out there at the end of the month. I am scared to death to go out there and start working on people. What if I really mess up on someone? I know a place that I can ask my questions and get many answers. It is right here! I am glad for this site and like I said it helps me learn more than what I have been taught in school so I can answer questions a client may have, or have the know how on how to do something. This is just my opinion on the subject. Coming from someone right out of school and Licensed in the whole field of Cosmetology and scared to death that I have learned enough to get me started.

I voted anyone. I am at the very end of my training so I guess I am not considered a professional by any means but we are the ones who need experienced nail techs to look to when in need of information regarding products we haven't tried or are having problems using or just support. If I wasn't interested in the industry I would've never found this site so I can't imagine anyone being on here for reasons other than furthering their career.:green:

As a newbie to this whole industry, I have to say this site has been of great use to me!

Thank you all!!
x

If its prof only then where will peeps who are thinking about joining our industry go for expert advise on the best training, products etc

I am very new to this game and will find a site like this very useful.

it is nice to know there is somewhere to go if I need help.

so I voted anyone

x.x.x.x.x

Latest posts

Back