who wants this site to become 'professionals only'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

professional only geek site???

• professionals only

Votes: 215 44.6%
  • anyone

Votes: 226 46.9%
  • dont know

Votes: 41 8.5%

• Total voters
B

buttonmoon

dont want to get in a cat fight with any1, just wondering what your opinions are?

im not sure- i think it would be nice in a way (esp when i get scared my clients may find it and see ive called them the client from hell etc!!!)

but then again, those just embarking on a nail career may find it sooooooo useful too

undecided

what do you lot think?

x

I don't know, I rememeber one lady that came on here for some advice on polish I think and she knew she was asking nail technicians for help. Everyone helped her as much as they could and she left happy. I thought this was really nice!!! She was so pleased someone could help her.

I'll give it some thought .......................................

xxxx

hi

What is a professional ?? do we all have our own ideas of what a Professional Nail Technician is?, should be?, minimum qualifications etc, time in business ?

I havent voted yet, but i just wanted to say that i didnt see myself as a "professional" when I found this site, in fact i was a complete beginner and had just embarked on a home learn course, yet it/ you have helped me enormously and i would not be where i am now, truly, if it were not for finding this site and the people on it

As a beginner, if i knew this was for "professionals" only i think i would have expected a more formal registration etc, i certainly would have been far more shy in asking questions as i would not have thought i was experienced or qualified enough to be taking advantage of this site and the people on it

I did not know at the time whether nails was the career for me - this site helped me decide, learn and grow into what i hope will be a happy fruitful career

Im really really interested to know what others think - especially people who consider themselves as "professionals" and what their thoughts on the title means - is this a dumb question ??

kx

i was meaning professional in a 'i have trained and i am a qualified nail technician' sense

like you would be to get public liablility insurance and need to show your certificates
x

I agree with Karren!

I was just a beginner too but without you guys I wouldn't be as far down the line as I am now!

I was scared at posting at first coz I thought you all would laugh at me or be able to tell I was a beginner but your advice and help is fab.

As everyone has a different opinion instead of having one lot of help repeated numerous times you get to see both sides of the coin.

I have met some great people and had a great tutorial (you know who you are) and I thank you all for that because you have helped me tremendously.

Thanks Guys!

Not only would it be impossible to do - it wouldnt ever be a good idea. There are countless that have been inspired to nail careers because of this site. What is the general public getting from this site? People talking about monomers and polymers and bitchy clients and lifting and prep and blahblahblah.

If I was Joe Blog off the street - I think there would be very little in it for me coming to this site.

Though I know your intentions are in the right place - it just couldnt and wouldnt happen :cry:

I voted - don't know!

I think I would like to see a site for professionals only (professional being qualified enough to get insurance) BUT this site is fantastic for students too and for anyone needing advice.

Hmmm...I will admit it bugs me though, that there are people about who are untrained, un-insured who can gain all the tips & tricks from a site like this and do nails. And there's the issue if someone realises who you are talking about.... wot a nightmare!!

Should be interesting to see what others think!

The Nail Geek said:
Not only would it be impossible to do - it wouldnt ever be a good idea. There are countless that have been inspired to nail careers because of this site. What is the general public getting from this site? People talking about monomers and polymers and bitchy clients and lifting and prep and blahblahblah.

If I was Joe Blog off the street - I think there would be very little in it for me coming to this site.

Though I know your intentions are in the right place - it just couldnt and wouldnt happen :cry:

i figured it couldnt happen but wondered what people thought?

good point about general public not really gaining much from it
us talking about which tips to use, which brand of l & p is best etc

fooled myself into thinking every1 loves nails just as much as i do!
lol
x

Katelisa said:
oooh, now i dont know how much hassle it is to add new forums, but maybe there could be a beginners/learners forum and an advanced/experienced forum and maybe even a consumer forum (where we can plug ourselves and products!!! lol) ...just a thought!

This is what i posted on another thread yesterday...

x

I voted anyone, because I was not qualified when I first joined this site I was mrs Bloggs from off the street. However I had an interest in nails and wanted to become a nail technician and this site helped me alot.

When i first joined I did not have a clue what half the posts were about and what all the words meant, but this site educated me and it can do for so many others out there too.

This site after all is a part of the internet and there would be no way that joe public could be stopped from entering, professional or not.

I asked some pretty dumb questions when I first joined as I did not have a clue about nails, but i stuck around and now Im qualified and want to give back to others who were in my posistion when I was new.

Lets educate the public, if they want to join let them, its a free country after all.

i voted "ANYONE"

I think it is GMG's decision as it is his site and looks like he's made it so this poll is a bit pointless.

I don't see the problem with the site being open to all - maybe we shouldn't be gossiping about our clients anyway as we don't know who can come and visit.

We don't know who we all are in real life so to speak - what if you were "bitching" about a client and from what was said it turned out that she was say my sister. scary stuff.

I have learned in life that you should say nothing bad about anyone to anyone because you don't know who knows who in this world LOL.

naturalnails said:
I don't see the problem with the site being open to all - maybe we shouldn't be gossiping about our clients anyway as we don't know who can come and visit.

We don't know who we all are in real life so to speak - what if you were "bitching" about a client and from what was said it turned out that she was say my sister. scary stuff.

I have learned in life that you should say nothing bad about anyone to anyone because you don't know who knows who in this world LOL.

I couldnt agree more Fiona, i was actually appauled that someone was talking about their client with stains????????????

I found this very personal and if the client in question had read it:irked: !!!! because i do tell my clients about sites and i think it does help clients who have a mis conception that "Acrylic, etc" damages your nails!!!!

Amanda

Just as an add on to this one - what better way of trying to make the "consumers" ie our clients more aware of how to find a professional nail technician than this site.

If they can come here and find out what they should be looking for - training, knowledge, standards etc. then this will improve the perception of the industry no end.

Okay I wonder what provoked this thread then !!! :o

I truly thought I WAS a professional until I joined this site. It very quickly became apparent that there was a huge gap in my knowledge base and that I had a hell of a lot to learn to even cover the basics on a sound footing.

I think now I can call myself a professional, but it's not through being a Timid Tina and sitting on the sidelines. To me knowledge is power, and how will you learn if you don't ask questions? I love learning, no matter what I do I research and learn all about it.

There are those who sit at the side and won't ask questions because they are so scared of getting things wrong or looking foolish, or dare I say it "being shot down in flames"! Those who are scared to ask are probably those who never put their hand up at school ... people always used to say to me, "go on Sarah you ask cos you're not scared". What I was scared of was remaining ignorant, of being confused because I didn't have things clear in my mind. Chances are if you're the one who asked the daft question then there will be 50% of the class who felt the same but were too scared to ask.

So are you one of those who always asks the questions, or are you one of those who says "so glad you asked that, cos I didn't know either but I was afraid to ask!"? If you do "pluck up the courage" to post and you don't get quite the answer you were looking for, it doesn't mean you're being ganged up against, it means you got something wrong. Learn from it and move on, but don't think you can't ask again.

So stop being Timid Tinas with more sensitivity than a sensitive flower in senstive land, if you get it wrong then at least you know you'll get the difinitive answer on here, and then you can help others in the future to learn - I know I have.

ahhh everyone hated me in college cuz i asked SOOOOOOO many questions. lmao. some questions were totally stupid and others were so complex the lecturers couldnt actually answer lol.

knowlege is definately power. Look at "Queen Gigi". She is what we all aspire to become. She is full of knowlege and that puts her up on her throne!! lol. and its great that people are willing to share their knowlege with us all.

:D

xxxx

oh, and maybe we could learn from 'consumers'...

Katelisa said:
oh, and maybe we could learn from 'consumers'...

Definitely, mine teach me all the time about what they want - without them we'd only be working on nail trainers!! ... and I've have to go and get a proper job! :Scared:

OMG a proper job...!!!!!! that sares the bejeebers outta me! my dad keeps askin 'when are you gonna get a proper job' and i always answer with 'well what do you define as a proper job father dearest, i run a business, what more do you want' and then he says 'some housekeeping would be nice' pmsl.

Latest posts

Back