who wants this site to become 'professionals only'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

professional only geek site???

• professionals only

Votes: 215 44.6%
  • anyone

Votes: 226 46.9%
  • dont know

Votes: 41 8.5%

• Total voters
I'd like to see a professionals only section.
I'd prefer it generally if the site were divided up more into sections - i think it would make it much easier to read and keep up with conversations. I think it would lead to fewer repeat postings on the same topic, as well.

Why fix something if its not broken.

I wouldnt know what i do now without this site and i wasnt qualified at that point. When i have a problem who would i ask if it was professionals only.

How would i have made so many friends in the nail industry and met so many excellent educators if i hadnt picked the information from here.

Who would have stopped me making major errors in terminology and practice if there wasnt you lot on here.

So all in all it should be anyone in my opinion.

:)
scattyfox said:
Why fix something if its not broken.

I wouldnt know what i do now without this site and i wasnt qualified at that point. When i have a problem who would i ask if it was professionals only.

How would i have made so many friends in the nail industry and met so many excellent educators if i hadnt picked the information from here.

Who would have stopped me making major errors in terminology and practice if there wasnt you lot on here.

So all in all it should be anyone in my opinion.

Hi i just wanted to say that i voted for "anyone", i've wanted to do nails for quite some time but theres so many different options eg: coursewise, what equipment to get plus companies saying learn/use our products, that if it wasn't for this site and places like this newbies to nails wouldn't know where to start!!
You can learn so much, plus feel at ease asking questions and then giving advise back once learnt and in turn hopefully making good friends in the process!!
Surely its a good thing to be able to help others especially those that want/need someone in the know to chat too. If it became a "professionals only" site you wouldn't be able to take pride in the fact your not only learning new things all the time but you can also help those that really need help, in turn not only making sure those that do nails do credit to the profession but encouraging those that want to do it to give it a go, cause they have someone to support them when need!!!!!!

Leah82

I think it is good that everyone can see the site - but with te premium geek facility for the peeps who want to pay for it - why cos like some other geeks if just one person can be educated by the knowledge on here then surely theat is a good thing :hug:

well i am not a 'professional' yet, but i am very passionate. i love what i do and i can do it. i am saving to get the best coarse i can. until then i enjoy coming here, getting advice and giving it

Hi
I dont think it should become for "Professionals" only. For all those that are in training and coming her to look for advice to problems, which lets face it, who hasnt learnt some things here that you didnt quite get during your course, I know I have.
Keep on giving out the knowledge to the newbies, you are making them greater technicians in the long run.
xxxxxx:green:

I havent voted on this poll, purely because i love the site as it is.

I find it interesting that we see questions from newbies/customers/consumers etc, always a variety.

When i newbie joins its so helpful as it reminds me of all the little things that perhaps i have forgotten or am not practasing correctly!

its great to see things from a customers point of view also.

Again some really interesting answers xxx

I have thought about this thread and just wanna say it is fine how it is, It has certainly helped me in my venture into the world of nails. I dont always comment on everything but often read far more of your thoughts and comments.

GMG has created a great site.

its not a good idea for jo public to log on and see negative comments about "clients from hell" but if its them we are talking about then the "client from hell may be inclined once reading about themself to realise they need to change????? :)

GMG sugests in an ideal world this site should just be for those in the nail industry, my own idea would be to look into the idea of a site where anyone can join but after you have been registered for say 1 year and posted say 50 posts you would get access to a "higher" level that would ONLY allow more experienced nail techs access. the site would remain the same but all the "professional" ( more experienced) nail techs could then have an area that is difficult to access by the general public. of course the Nail techs using level two can still visit level one to help out the newbies but the real site would be level two. Level two would also cut out all the same questions that us beginners are constantly asking like what is L&P all the beginning stuff could be delt with at level one and the advanced stuff on level two. it would give the experienced techs an area that would be more appropriate for advanced techs and the beginners a level for their needs. and somthing to encourage the begginers to aim for. all we have to do is pop back now and then to help the newbies. All new nail techs would start off at level one and work learn and earn their right to level two.

Its not my site, and I am more than happy with what GMG doing with it, but
this was just my general thoughts on the subject.

Harry

I like this site for two reasons:

1) None nail techs can get advice on nail care, courses etc.

2) Nail technicians can share there experiences and if they aren't sure on anything there are people on here that can help.

I have found this site to be excellent in the past and it has helped me make the right choices.

How will new people to the industry become professionals if they cannot get access to all the useful info on the site.

I definately voted anybody - as long as they want to learn and not abuse this information!

I have learned so much since joining here. I dont post too much but I read a lot and having bought Nail Class I find it easier to practice now. I've learned that just because I'm training at a great school doesn't mean everything I learn is gospel and I also realise now that once I finish this course I might know how to do mini mani's, spa mani and pedi's, silk, fiberglass nails and acrylic nails but my learning is still only just starting. I doubt I would have known that otherwise. I feel truely honoured to have some top people to look to for advice be it about my course or my confidence to carry on with it and Geeg inspires me heeps, just sorry I live in Norway and can't make the seminar :(

I'd hate to not be able to come here and feel quite gutted actually to be split off into a trainees forum. I like to learn from the bigger picture. I've seen stuff to aspire to and stuff I dont, in my opinion this is one of the best learning resources I could have come accross and I'm bloody thankful for it!

I think if a beginner of the street is interested in doing nails, even their own nails, it is better for them to have access to a site with information like this than to just do it on their own, with crappy instructions on a box.
When I started I actually came to this site to figure out what the best products were. That was my main reason. I wanted to see what good nail techs use, basically to use this site as a "product reveiw" site. Then I found all the great advice & tutorials. Then I figured out where to get training and where to get the products.
I learned more from this site than from training! I also would have never known about my local NSS salons & their dirty practices if it were not for this site. Now everyone I tell, they dont belive me when I say the NSS salon is a bad salon, because pretty much every salon is NSS. They all think acrylics "ruin" your nails.
At the very least, I have learned how to create a beautiful set of lasting nails on myself, using the best products, because of this site. I have so much yet to learn!

Rose143 said:
I don't know, I rememeber one lady that came on here for some advice on polish I think and she knew she was asking nail technicians for help. Everyone helped her as much as they could and she left happy. I thought this was really nice!!! She was so pleased someone could help her.

I'll give it some thought .......................................

xxxx

Does this not mean our clients are recieving professional advice free of charge and doing a better job themselves at home and therefore reducing the need for our services???

I start my training on 31st July (Creative L&P foundation) so i don't qualify as a pro but I find much of the info really useful as I will know where to go with problems.
Some of the info is obviously totally over my head but will make sense in time (I hope)
Please let peeps like me stay:)

we could be teaching non qualified persons to improve there skills, which is not a good thing! we dont want our clients buying nail products off ebay and doing there own! even worse other peoples. Nail students should be allowed on i think the site is valuable to them. Perhaps it should be available to students and pro's only!
But then on the other hand its nice for the world to see just how good we all are at doing nails via member gallery. eb:confused:

Hi guys, although this is an old post that has been brought up, I have read through all the comments and opinions, a lot of them very good and informative.
Without anyone jumping down my throat, I would like to make3 points:

1) I am qualified, with certificates and insurance, so theoretically that makes me a professional. However, having only been doing nails for 3 months, I don't yet 'feel' like one.

2) I noticed on the poll results that two of the options are pretty much neck and neck. Many of those who voted 'anyone', have followed up their vote supporting their reason why. However, the same can't be said about most of those who have voted for a 'professional' only forum. Why is this- are they worried that other peoples perceptions of them will change, or that they may come across as 'superior' (for want of a better word).

3) OH HECK- can't remember now!!!!!lol :eek: Oh yes, didn't everyone start at the same point somewhere along the line.........So those of you who voted for 'professional' only, were you all perfect when you joined this site, huh!!!

Sorry about that,
Michelle xxx

I haven't voted yet, either.

I will be honest and say that I am a "newbie". I have only been doing nails for a bit over 2 months now. I found this site kinda by accident. I do belong to other nail sites, and when I go there to read other posts, and perhaps post my own questions, NOBODY responds to them!!! Does anyone know how that feels! I guess to the techs on those sites, I'm an IDOT!!

I will tell you that since being on this site, I have learned so much, from ALL the WONDERFUL people on here!!!:hug: I am not scared to post a question, even if it seems "silly" to some, because I know that someone will likely to respond to it. I am relaxed on this site, confident, and have much more self-esteem about my work, or the work I will do. I have tried some of the methods posted on here, and they do work!! So, if I can learn things to IMPROVE my work, to have a much happier client, then this site should be left as is!!

We have all been "newbies" at some point in our career!! Did some of you forget that? Wouldn't have been nice for some of you, that have being doing nails for years, have something like this when you started?

I like the fact that the people who work for the companies, whose products we use, come on here and tell us what works and what doesn't. How many times would you all pick up the phone, and call that company for advice on their product?

Just my opinions and thoughts. Why fix it, if its not broken!!!

I would like to say that i havn't started doing nails yet, only because of funding. I was in two minds wether i wanted to learn nails or not, but seeing all the posts makes me determined to do it and succeed. If it wasn't for this site i don't know what i would have done as i have had a lot of advice from "lovely geeks" and now i have found something in my life that i'd like to learn, and hopefully make a career from. So please give us "newbie/learners/wannabe's" a break cos if it wasn't for you guys (pros) i'd still be stuck in my dead end job.

I think it should stay open to all, even though i know GMG said it wouldn't be possible to make is a professional only site anyway.

This site is invaluable for anyone who is thinking about a career in nails and can get the best places to start looking on here, so i do agree to it being an open site.

This site has always been and still is a bible of info for me.

This site is an invaluable resource for nail technicians at all levels.

I don't think there should be any exclusivity involved. And at the end of the day, if it did become a site for professionals only, someone would just come along and set up another site. Why cause a split? If it ain't broke (which I don't believe it is) don't fix it.

Latest posts

Back