Why do clients nails come off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samantha Fay

Reaction score
Hi, i am using the nsi system andlove working with it but i have had some clients nails come off,it's usually just the odd one or two. I am new to the nail industry and was wondering whether it's that i may not be experienced enough yet or just my prepping, i love applying nails but refuse to use drills as they can damage the natural nail and have seen too much nail damage from them. Could someone advise me on this please?

Thankyou

Samantha :|

It can be just a newbie thing,
the longer you have been doing nails and the more sets you do, you will see an improvement with everything about your nails,
you have questioned your prep so maybe that is something you need to spend an extra 5 Min's on,
when you are dehydrating the nail plate make sure you give it a really good scrub with the product you use on your wipe, get into the side walls too, scrub each nail for about 5 seconds hth :hug:

it is normally down to the client not following all aftercare too.

Hello Samantha & welcome to the site!

Just run us through your prep routine - maybe we can see something that may help you there.

If not, then maybe we can assess you application method & mix ratio - and client after care.

There are lots of reasons for clients losing a nail & it's not always down to us techs - believe me!:hug:

Thankyou for the info, i am already noticing adifference with every set i do i just didn't realise how long it would take for me to become a better nail tech.

OH my nail prep is sanitization, file nails, take off shine, cleanse, dehydrate, tips, bond, acrylic, file and buff, airshield.

Are you using cutile remover ?

When you have applied your tips im guessing you then blend them,
after this stage what do you do before applying the bond & acrylic ?

hiya ..

are you removing the non living skin from the nail plate...?

also building the nail in the stress area is important.

Clients do sometimes break nails...so don't blame yourself every time it happens.

Hi hun i had this trouble at first but as im doing more sets these teething problems are few and far between i found that it was down to my prep but like bagpuss has said clients do break nails and im slowly finding out that its never their fault (yer right)!!

It is very possibly you BUT....... sometimes client's come in and say "it just fell off"...:rolleyes: and the truth is that they helped it fall off.
To be sure it wasn't you, put the hand under the UV light.
If the nail 'fell' off, you won't see tell-tale damage.
IF IT WAS HELPED OFF.. you'll see tell-tale damage of the nailplate, it'll look 'white'. Nails that are pried/bitten/forced off will rip the surface of the nail plate since they were well adhered, and when forcing them off, it will tear the nail plate if they are well stuck.
IF they are not well adhered due to prep or whatever... then there will be no damage to find.

ALSO even if a client did not help it off forcibly, liberal use of babyoil/mineral oil, petroleum jelly/petrolatum can greatly cause lift.

So, certainly rule out any errors in your prep & application. Double, triple and quadruple check your methods.
And yes, as a newbie, there will be hiccups in the road and a 'learning curve'. But it's also important to know that there are other things that will 'help' nails 'fall off', other than you.

Do a search on here regarding lift, you'll find a multitude of threads on it. Knowledge will arm you appropriately in this battle against lift and other such problems.

hth's

I use NSI Attraction and I agree, the only thing missing from your prep is the removal of non living tissue from the nail plate. If you are removing non living tissue then perhaps it's what you are using.. NSI don't provide the metal tool for this as part of their kit but I feel it's an essential part of your kit. Once you use it you will notice the difference in terms of how much comes away. This could be causing a problem for you..

Having said this.. my mother in law came for her re-balance yesterday and had 5.. Yes 5!! overlays missing and it is obvious that they didn't just drop off. You can see where the product was firmly adhered to the nail plate and when it has been banged or caught it is the nail plate that have given and not the product..

I have come to the conclusion that some clients are just too heavy handed...

I use Attraction too, and i had the same problem when i was just starting, with removing the dead tissue... some clients have more and you really have to be meticulous to get it all off, i highly recommend using cuticle remover too, it will make the job a lot easier, just be sure to remove all of the cuticle remover too:) and not to be preachy but an e-file can make your life a hundred times easier, and just like enhancements, efiles dont damage nails, a poor technicain damages nails, so if you learn to use it correctly theres no reason to every worry about that:)

Hi, i am using the nsi system andlove working with it but i have had some clients nails come off,it's usually just the odd one or two. I am new to the nail industry and was wondering whether it's that i may not be experienced enough yet or just my prepping, i love applying nails but refuse to use drills as they can damage the natural nail and have seen too much nail damage from them. Could someone advise me on this please?

Thankyou

Samantha :|

Nail drills can only cause damage to the natural nail if they are used by untrained tech, nail drills are safe in experienced hands. Proper training should be carried out before using e-files on clients. I have seen a lot of damage caused by NSS on a lot of clients. :hug:

You may find these resourses handy:

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/22251-great-nail-abduction.html

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/11287-understanding-cracking-breaking.html

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/3626-kamikaze-pinger.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

YouTube - Nail Enhancement P.R.E.P.

hope this helps:hug:

It is very possibly you BUT....... sometimes client's come in and say "it just fell off"...:rolleyes: and the truth is that they helped it fall off.
To be sure it wasn't you, put the hand under the UV light.
If the nail 'fell' off, you won't see tell-tale damage.
IF IT WAS HELPED OFF.. you'll see tell-tale damage of the nailplate, it'll look 'white'. Nails that are pried/bitten/forced off will rip the surface of the nail plate since they were well adhered, and when forcing them off, it will tear the nail plate if they are well stuck.
IF they are not well adhered due to prep or whatever... then there will be no damage to find.

ALSO even if a client did not help it off forcibly, liberal use of babyoil/mineral oil, petroleum jelly/petrolatum can greatly cause lift.

So, certainly rule out any errors in your prep & application. Double, triple and quadruple check your methods.
And yes, as a newbie, there will be hiccups in the road and a 'learning curve'. But it's also important to know that there are other things that will 'help' nails 'fall off', other than you.

Do a search on here regarding lift, you'll find a multitude of threads on it. Knowledge will arm you appropriately in this battle against lift and other such problems.

hth's
Thankyou i have watched the nsi dvd that came with the products and think i probably need to spend a little more time on my prepping, it's just strange how some people's nails that i have worked on have been fine.I have realised that good nails come with experience and it's going to take me a while to become a great tech. :)

I use NSI Attraction and I agree, the only thing missing from your prep is the removal of non living tissue from the nail plate. If you are removing non living tissue then perhaps it's what you are using.. NSI don't provide the metal tool for this as part of their kit but I feel it's an essential part of your kit. Once you use it you will notice the difference in terms of how much comes away. This could be causing a problem for you..

Having said this.. my mother in law came for her re-balance yesterday and had 5.. Yes 5!! overlays missing and it is obvious that they didn't just drop off. You can see where the product was firmly adhered to the nail plate and when it has been banged or caught it is the nail plate that have given and not the product..

Hi thankyou soo much for the help :)

Wow thanks, it's just so great to be able to talk to other tech's. I was getting so worried about my work.

Latest posts

Back