WHY do some nail techs use drill?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackbrooks

Reaction score
hi there, for years now ive been curious why some techs insist on using a drill for everything.
prep of the natural nail
shaping and finishing of the nail?

whats wrong with a file?

are these techs lazy? do they have bad brush control???
someone explain it to me as i carnt come to a conclusion!

thanks guys
mwhaaa
x

hi there, for years now ive been curious why some techs insist on using a drill for everything.
prep of the natural nail
shaping and finishing of the nail?

whats wrong with a file?

are these techs lazy? do they have bad brush control???
someone explain it to me as i carnt come to a conclusion!

thanks guys
mwhaaa
x

Hey there, I use a electric file to remove the bulk when rebalancing.

I would never ever go near the natural nail plate with it though, and only use to remove the bulk as my hand was getting very sore with so much filing throughout the day, I can also get in more clients as It has cut my time down. It was either this or drop some clients (not happening lol)

I have never used this to finish the nails off either.

Natalie x

ok so you only use the drill when removing the bulk?? but are drills safe?? clean????

ok so you only use the drill when removing the bulk?? but are drills safe?? clean????

Yes if used correctly they are perfectly safe. If no care and control is taken then there could be damage.:eek:

I have seen severe damage being done using a hand file before, on numerous occasions.

I use a Kupa drill which is a high end one. You get what you pay for and all that :)

I disinfect it using a hard surface disinfectant spray and solution. :

I used to be dead against drills/electric files, until I had my problems and my educator at the time had suggested this to me.

Natalie xx

Natalie x

Drills - Some peeps like them some dont, Personally I do use a drill for re balances etc NEVER on the natural nail, drills are safe in the hands of a responsible trained technician. As they dont touch the natural nail or products during application there is no cause for concern re contamination (if thats what you meant by clean?) Of course they need to be wiped down and all parts & bits kept dust free and clean, but the same as you would wipe your work area after a client you would do the same with your drill ..... well I do anyway.:lol:

E.files are great if used correctly, they reduce the time it takes therefore optimising the techs time therefore leaving room for another client.

I, personally, never use them on the natural nail as I find it quicker to use a normal file. However I don't think it's a matter of being lazy at all. I have worked in this industry for 16 years now and have moved along with the times. If we didn't do that we would still be living in caves and walking everywhere.

It is up to the individual if they use an e.file or not, and I promise not to criticise anyone for not using one! :)

Last edited:
dont you find that alot of clients want to stay away from drills?

dont you find that alot of clients want to stay away from drills?

No not at all, I have only ever had one client who didn't want me to use it on her, so I didn't, then one day she asked me to give it a go, as she trusted me and my judgement. Now she would't go back as her appointment is shorter and she can get on with her day :)

Why? Do you find this?

x

yes most definalty, im from nottingham that has over 20 veitnamese nail bars that ruin peoples nails.
people are scared and right to be because of them.
espeicaly older people lol if i got a drill out to some of my older clients they would freak out!!!!!!!!!!! lol

yes most definalty, im from nottingham that has over 20 veitnamese nail bars that ruin peoples nails.
people are scared and right to be because of them.
espeicaly older people lol if i got a drill out to some of my older clients they would freak out!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Oh that's a shame!!!

I think you need to educate your clients that it's no the E file that causes the damage, it's the person in charge of using it.

x

Oh that's a shame!!!

I think you need to educate your clients that it's no the E file that causes the damage, it's the person in charge of using it.

x

Exactly, I agree totally. xx

I have a good mix of clients youngest being 18 and oldest 69 and none of them have shown anything other than fascination! They love the fact that it is quicker for them and are amazed at the accuracy of the file.

There is absolutely no reason for an e.file to damage anyone it is just careless use and I know of some nail bars where my clients have been sliced and diced with normal files. It is the user not the files, of any kind.

I see you use gel, I use, mainly, acrylic. I don't use my e.file when doing gel as it is so much softer and easy to remove so maybe this is why you don't understand the reason for using these? :)

i have a good mix of clients youngest being 18 and oldest 69 and none of them have shown anything other than fascination! They love the fact that it is quicker for them and are amazed at the accuracy of the file.

There is absolutely no reason for an e.file to damage anyone it is just careless use and i know of some nail bars where my clients have been sliced and diced with normal files. It is the user not the files, of any kind.

I see you use gel, i use, mainly, acrylic. I don't use my e.file when doing gel as it is so much softer and easy to remove so maybe this is why you don't understand the reason for using these? :)

sorry i mainly use l&p and gel like 3 times a week.

Sorry darling I am getting old and missed that bit! Thought I had discovered what was wrong! Must get me eyes tested soon!!:lol:

I agree with Natalieabdn, I would say it's the way a drill could be used not the drill that can cause problems, with many industries there are ways to help the process, help with timing, refine finnishing, like for examples joiners may use tools once they are more experienced to help them complete a job faster, maybe not in the begining but as they learn more about the trade and the various tools they can use to carry out various jobs. It's a shame that things that can eventually help, are thought of in a bad way because they have been used in the wrong way, I hope to learn how to use an e-file in the future, but will of course make sure I learn properly x

my hubby is training now and they are trying to get him to use a drill. I think in today's industry speed is a must. a drill offers you the speed you need to keep up. You can drop your bits in barbacide (or other cleaning solution) and the sanding mandrils are disposiable so even if you do use it on the natural nail its clean and new for the next person.
only time i use the drill on the natural nail is if they have overgrown cuticles really stuck to the nail plate or if their nails are tiny or have deep side walls, in which case a file seems to run all over thier skin. when a client requests that i don't use the drill i try to let them see i'm not going to hurt them. I usually ask them, "i know you've had bad expierences but may i try it and see if you are comfortable? if not i'll use the file." they usually have a great expierence and i can use the drill.
Don't be afraid to learn new techniques, esp. the drill. learn all you can so you can provide clients with a safe drill service they will like.

I use a drill mostly for when I do fills. My hand gets sore after a lot of hand-filing as well. It also speeds up the process. And yes of course I disinfect all my bits (or use a new sanding band) for each client.

I thin the surface down in prep for reapplication (from the tip up to just above the junction of the free edge with a carbide medium barrel) and very lightly around the cuticles and sidewalls (diamond toothpick bit). I never file right down to the natural nailplate and go by hand from there. If she's grown very long since her last visit, sometimes I will also use a drill to file down the tip.

A few clients expressed concern at first because of experiences with previous technicians but they trust me now.

Last edited:
I use an e-file for everything, and no, I am not lazy :lol:. I find it is quicker and more efficient for me personally. I use a hand file only to straighten the sidewalls, lower arch and the free edge.

I also have excellent brush control. I am not sure what would lead you to think that people with lousy brush control would use an e-file any more than those who use a hand file.

Yes, I use an e-file on the natural nail for prep as well. I have a prepper barrel that is made especially for use on the natural nail. It is a 180 grit tapered barrel bit that allows me to push the eponychium back a little further and get right into the corners to make sure that I don't miss any cuticle on the nail plate. If used appropriately by a trained professional they are every bit as safe as a hand file.

Its not the e-file that causes damage - its the tech. Its all about training.

I use the INM Pink Cadillac e-file that is manufactured by Kupa and its a dream!

Last edited:
I use an e-file for everything, and no, I am not lazy :lol:. I find it is quicker and more efficient for me personally. I use a hand file only to straighten the sidewalls, lower arch and the free edge.

I also have excellent brush control. I am not sure what would lead you to think that people with lousy brush control would use an e-file any more than those who use a hand file.

Yes, I use an e-file on the natural nail for prep as well. I have a prepper barrel that is made especially for use on the natural nail. It is a 180 grit tapered barrel bit that allows me to push the eponychium back a little further and get right into the corners to make sure that I don't miss any cuticle on the nail plate. If used appropriately by a trained professional they are every bit as safe as a hand file.

Its not the e-file that causes damage - its the tech. Its all about training.

I use the INM Pink Cadillac e-file that is manufactured by Kupa and its a dream!

I respect your opinion BUT your 3rd para is super scary!!!

Of course a hand file can cause dreadful damage but it takes a bit of effort that, hopefully, is only seen right at the beginning of training. 180 grit e-file takes millisecond to cause horrific damage (as seen on here recently in glorious technicolour).

Over the lunula and pushing the eponychium back!!!! Horrific!

In the UK we have Occupational Standards and an industry Code of Practice that provides guidelines for acceptable working practices. These state that an e-file should never be used on the nail plate.

I can't see why, with modern and good quality products, you need such aggressive preparation? Normal cuticle care and a few swipes with a 240 grit does the job. By the time you've disinfected and changed the bit the job's done (well almost)

I would only ever use 240 or higher on the natural nail esp for prep. If removing the cuticle I would never use a hand file anyway,, but thst is my technique. xx

Latest posts

Back