Why is Cillit Bang so bad for nail extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I have read that Cillit Bang is damaging to nail extensions.

Can anyone tell me what happens to your nail extensions if you use it? Does it cause lifting/yellowing/dissolving? Or something else ??? :eek: :eek:

Would it affect non soak off gels as well?

Thanks peeps xxx

The only thing I've found is that it dulls the gel top coat I apply after L&P, damn annoying when clients come back and say 'one hand has gone dull!':mad:

Dunno what's in it but if you read the label Cillit Bang is bad for EVERYTHING that is not solid ie, it's ok for stuff that won't melt around the house like s.steel sinks, enamel cooker surfaces, ceramic floor tiles etc but spray it on anything else at your own risk!! So I guess a gel topcoat has no chance!! Tell your client to wear meal gauntlets when she uses it , either that or get a cleaner!:lol:

I think I read somewhere that it caused them to lift off.
I've only ever used the oven cleaner version of it and the dirt did just literally lift off, it was amazing.

I use it most days and mine have never been damaged.

My mate recommended this to me the other day but said beware, wear rubber gloves as it dried her hands out and it bleached the colour out of her hubbies clothes!

I don't know about Cillit Bang being bad for nail extensions, but it's certainly doesn't do any favours for your hearing, especially if you have to watch that bl**dy annoying BARRY SCOTT every time the ad comes on tv! :grr:

i remember ages ago 1of my regular manicure clients started having problems with the skin on her hands it was so dry and sore and cracking - she got a deep dry crack on one finger. anyway every week we were thinking what could it be? whats changed ect - then we realised the only new thing shw was using was 'cillit bang'!! and not with gloves on!! never used it myself and havnt heard of anyone else in particular getting such a bad reaction but you never know!!

tori x

what on earth is Cillit Bang?????

U had to stop using this stuff.......it's lethal! Made me cough! ughh

I used to be a kitchen designer and sold a very expensive stainless steel range oven to a couple once,who cleand it with cillit bang,as it said on the label it was suitable.....it melted right into the top leaving big stain that looked like spilt milk!!! lethal stuff!!!

Now I'm glad when I finish a set of nails, I always recommend the client to wear rubber gloves when doing housework!:lol:
I always wear my Marigolds....can't imagine anyone wouldn't!! If that cr*p dissolves grease and limescale, imagine what it does to your skin! lol..

I don't know about Cillit Bang being bad for nail extensions, but it's certainly doesn't do any favours for your hearing, especially if you have to watch that bl**dy annoying BARRY SCOTT every time the ad comes on tv! :grr:

I agree, why does he have to shout so much, I have to turn it off when it comes on the tv really really annoying!

I haven't had any problems with Cillit Bang (apart from the deafening Barry Scott!!)....but then I follow the instructions on it, which say ALWAYS to wear rubber gloves whilst using.
The same as all chemicals...when used properly and as per the manufacturers instructions they are safe to use.
So if your clients blame Cillit Bang for problems with their enhancements I hope you don't discount the repairs or replacements as it is all your clients own fault. She should have been wearing gloves!!!!

I haven't had any problems with Cillit Bang (apart from the deafening Barry Scott!!)....but then I follow the instructions on it, which say ALWAYS to wear rubber gloves whilst using.
The same as all chemicals...when used properly and as per the manufacturers instructions they are safe to use.
So if your clients blame Cillit Bang for problems with their enhancements I hope you don't discount the repairs or replacements as it is all your clients own fault. She should have been wearing gloves!!!!

I agree....besides what it does to your nails ... just think about your poor hands. There are alot of cleaning products that can dry your skin out.

(ohh and i cant stick the advert either)

What are a girls best friend?

GLOVES!!!!

(DIAMONDS ARE PRETTY GOOD BUT WHAT'S THE POINT IN WEARING THEM WHEN YOUR HANDS LOOK LIKE A BUILDER!):lol:

barry scott is a legend (not)

I always tell my ladies to wear gloves when cleaning and washing up but you always get the odd one who refuses - then complains when her hands are dry etc xx

Yep Cillit Bang, is lethal stuff, if you DONT wear gloves. It gets all the grime off everything, but it'll also take your enhancements off, if you DONT wear gloves.

It also dries your hands up something terrible.

And just a tip, when using it stand away from the bottle, as if you stand over it, it can make you cough badly, as the chemicals in it are so strong, it can make you wheez for a few days afterwards. (HERE SPEAKS THE VOICE OF A WOMAN SCORNED BY THAT DARN CILLIT BANG!!!) xx

A good rule of thumb is

If you wouldn't put it on your face, don't put it on your hands.

I have never understood why people don't wear gloves to do housecleaning or gardening. The skin there is just as important as that on their faces, never mind the fact that if you invest in nice nails, why not keep them nice and protect them??:rolleyes:
And let's face it, hands take far more abuse than faces, because of what you do with them. How about protecting them from some of that abuse?

I don't stick my face in the toiletbowl when I clean it. I don't stick my face in the sink when I wash dishes, and I certainly don't stick my face in the garden dirt where neighborhood cats have done their business.:lol:
So, I will not stick my hands in it.

Also: many household cleaners contain things like insecticides, HUGE levels of carcinogens etc. Most bottles read that if you get it on the skin, rinse thoroughly. THAT MEANS WEAR GLOVES.

See this link about household cleaners:
CBC Marketplace: Household Cleaners

At the right of the story, there's a link "Watch This Story" and "Real Video". click on "Real Video" to see the actual newscast.

It will blow your mind. Provide the link to clients. It will make them think twice about binning their gloves next time.

hth's

Latest posts

Back