Why sell yourself so cheap?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyboo

Reaction score
There is a girl who works from a salon in my town who is offering full set of lashes, nail extensions, spray tan & eyebrow wax & tint for a total price of £35!!!
Why do it??

Maybe they are struggling trying to get clients in and need the money. It is awfully cheap for all those services though!

Is it a special or always that price?

If its a special then it's purely to get customers through the door.. Like when big shops have huge discounts it's a quiet time of year.

If its all the time then I pity the poor girl

There is a girl who works from a salon in my town who is offering full set of lashes, nail extensions, spray tan & eyebrow wax & tint for a total price of £35!!!
Why do it??
Lol.

For that price you may only get 20 lashes and nails that really will fall off in the bath.

And for the time it will take to do all these treatments she is only going to have time to do a couple of clients per day.

Last edited:
She has offers on that are different everyday!! She charges £10 for shellac!!

Wowzers! I'd be kinda worried about what I'd be getting for that price, you get what you pay for comes to mind x

Wouldn't even go through the door. I know times are hard, but this shouts "desperate!".

Remember the saying....... "When you want more clients, put your prices UP".

At these prices you must question if it's worth her putting in all the hours God sends.

??? Well she's not going to make much of a profit is she? Also she will draw the bargain hunter type of client who will move onto the next cut price salon when she or if she decides to put her prices up.:rolleyes:
It's not the type of image I'd want for my salon put it that way.

Its up to her. She wont be earning much but she could be newly qualified and happy to work for nothing to gain clients / struggling and trying to draw people in / offering a very quick and poor service etc etc. Either way, its her business, her choice.

I have no idea what any of the local salons or girls charge around here, they aren't my problem :D

It also depends on where you live. A town will charge cheaper then a City.

I charge £10 for Shellac or Gelish. Clients won't book for more then that!
I charge £25 for Extensions.

Yes, it is alot cheaper the what some of you may charge, but it is a case of having to go with what the going rate is down here!

I went shopping the other day at local shopping centre that has a few salons, huge sign saying Swarovski manicure, pedicure £20! For that price I'm presuming there not real swarovskis, but left them to it it's not effecting me!

Ur not going to please everyone and ur always going to have people bargain hunting and people undercutting your prices it's the way of the world unfortunately. All you can do is provide a brill service that keeps clients coming back to u and nknow that's why u charge a higher price because of your skill and customer service.

I'm in somerset, and I have no problem keeping clients at a price of £25.00 for shellac., and some of those clients are as young as their early 20,s, and as old as 83.

In fact it's pretty much only shellac that I do now.

Someone very close to me charges £10 for 'shellac' which is actually blue sky (cheap knock off) I charge £20 for the 'real deal' and think what goes around comes around. Clients worth their salt won't bother with cheap knock off techs and the clients who like cheap aren't worth the hassle as they are invariably major pain in the arses!!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

I charge £10 for Shellac, but mine is the real thing!
I am going to up it to £15 soon, but where I live and being a small business from home, I can't charge what Salons do, because alot of clients would rather go to a Salon!

I am going to up it to £15 soon, but where I live and being a small business from home, I can't charge what Salons do, because alot of clients would rather go to a Salon!

Sorry I disagree, I work from home and my clients prefer it, they get a personal touch, and it is quiet and relaxing, I charge £20 which is the going rate round here and last week I was flat out, I have a friend who was advertising for £10 and she didn't get anyone, she asked me why, I said because it says you are an amateur, don't know what you are doing. I told her to put them up to £20, she did and text me last week to say she has 10 regulars already!! Put your prices up!

Sorry I disagree, I work from home and my clients prefer it, they get a personal touch, and it is quiet and relaxing, I charge £20 which is the going rate round here and last week I was flat out, I have a friend who was advertising for £10 and she didn't get anyone, she asked me why, I said because it says you are an amateur, don't know what you are doing. I told her to put them up to £20, she did and text me last week to say she has 10 regulars already!! Put your prices up!

I haven't lost any regs over this, and my business is doing okay for itself!! You have probably got a nice room to work in. I currently work in my kitchen. It is big with a big table. But I feel I can't charge Salon costs in this environment, otherwise I know where I would prefer to go. Some clients say they don't mind it, and I think my prices helps keep them coming, because I have quite a few regs

Totally agree. I work from home and charge a good rate £20 a local lady is charging £10 for gelish and shellac to me it cries out amateur. Also that's the opinion of people in the area, shes advertising and saying I have all 117 gelish colours, but still can't get clients. Dont sell yourself short, your worth it! Xx

I totally disagree also to this. I'm a very busy home based salon and I charge £26 for Shellac no problem. I really can't see how charging £10 for this service that you are making much of a profit? Don't sell yourself short. But.. It's your business of course.

Clients say they prefer coming to me as it's more personal, easy parking, great service. I have tons of clients that have found me through word of mouth and Google just because they'd rather come to a home based salon!

I haven't lost any regs over this, and my business is doing okay for itself!! You have probably got a nice room to work in. I currently work in my kitchen. It is big with a big table. But I feel I can't charge Salon costs in this environment, otherwise I know where I would prefer to go. Some clients say they don't mind it, and I think my prices helps keep them coming, because I have quite a few regs
New nailz it may be on your kitchen but it doesnt mean your not giving a 1st class service. I used to work this way until I had my summer house. You are worth it xx

It is an interesting situation.

People in our industry just think that they should be constantly busy, money coming in all of the time. Quite rightly so, but not at the cost of selling yourself extremely short.

Those who charge cheaply may not look at the financial aspect in a business sense. They just want to be popular by boasting about how many clients they have, unfortunately the wrong ones.

I don't buy Groupon or Living Social offers as I think they are too cheap and not fair on the person who is doing all the hard work. Likewise, I have a conscience and would never in history pay someone £35 for so much work, it is just slave labour!

If you are charging cheaply to get clients, you will be getting the wrong ones who care nothing about you and your finances or your health.

Latest posts

Back