Why use a drill at all?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny because my clients actually like me using it. They've been burned by hand filing by other techs. You really just have to be careful not to file on the same spot for too long and it won't get hot. If you create heat with it, that just boils down to not enough experience using it. It's not like they're some super fast uncontrollable thing that's going to file down to the natural nail instantly. If used properly, an e-file can be much more precise than a hand file.

leah82 said:
Yeh NSI don't ask for qualifications but most don't, I think they expect you to act like a professional. I'm trained with them so can't fault them, but really when it comes to this its down to you as a person. I have just purchased a nail drill not from them as NSI prices can be a bit more expensive on some things but am going to do the drill course with them as i want to be able to do it right & say I'm qualified to use it. It all boils down to what you want to be seen as. I want to be totally professional but needed the drill to do the course so got that first. They do offer discounts if you buy the drill & book the course together so they do promote that you SHOULD do training!!

Yes I agree... I love NSI products and would have loved to have trained with them.. I want to do their gel course properly. I want to do several course over the next few years but don't want to overload my small brain :eek:

Carmen said:
It's funny because my clients actually like me using it. They've been burned by hand filing by other techs. You really just have to be careful not to file on the same spot for too long and it won't get hot. If you create heat with it, that just boils down to not enough experience using it. It's not like they're some super fast uncontrollable thing that's going to file down to the natural nail instantly. If used properly, an e-file can be much more precise than a hand file.

I have to admit.. I filed (sawed :eek: ) a womans finger so badly (supposedly down the sidewall) that the gash in her finger was unbelievable... and the file was so rough, it was lethal.. I don't know why they sell those files... they are like weapons! The woman hardly squeaked but the wound was bleeding badly.. I was really shocked!

CadenceAlex said:
I am seriously going to look into using gel then... as I couldn't offer gel nails if I don't know how to get them off! How unproffessional would that be????
gel removal would be covered in your Gel Induction training.
there's two kinds, either soak off or buff off, it's important to know when to change down the abrasive grits so as to not damage the natural nail, no different to having to change the 'bit' on an e-file, for the same reasons.

CadenceAlex said:
As far as client perception is concerned, you could always offer them the option? That way you could train to do it, and own one.. but only use it if the customer felt at ease? May save yourself from cramp sometimes.

Point taken. Unfortunately some of my clients have been to NSS where they use e-files & they tend to compare methods. Many have commented that they didn't like the e-file but didn't like to say. Some even come specifically because I hand file.

As I say, it's not something that I'd rule out forever but for now I'm happy with my methods & so are my clients.

ValencianNails said:
gel removal would be covered in your Gel Induction training.
there's two kinds, either soak off or buff off, it's important to know when to change down the abrasive grits so as to not damage the natural nail, no different to having to change the 'bit' on an e-file, for the same reasons.

I thought that I could buy the gels and try them out and practice on people until I felt confident enough to use on paying clients - do you happen to know whether Balance UV Gel by NSI is soak or buff off?

CadenceAlex said:
I thought that I could buy the gels and try them out and practice on people until I felt confident enough to use on paying clients - do you happen to know whether Balance UV Gel by NSI is soak or buff off?
i don't use NSI gels personally, but a few Geeks on here do and will be able to tell you, unless you go to their website and have a read.
to be able to use them on paying clients you'd have to have done the training for your insurance to cover you.
it depends on which company you want to train with as to whether you can buy them without a gel certificate or conversion course.

nicjill said:
Point taken. Unfortunately some of my clients have been to NSS where they use e-files & they tend to compare methods. Many have commented that they didn't like the e-file but didn't like to say. Some even come specifically because I hand file.

As I say, it's not something that I'd rule out forever but for now I'm happy with my methods & so are my clients.

That's what counts! If something's not broke, why fix it?!

It's a bloody shame that so many people really don't care about preserving the natural nails underneath the enhancements.. giving everyone bad names.

I was shocked when having my nails done by someone far more qualified than me.. that they blended the tips so well you could hardly tell that they were tips.. and my nails were scratched so bad..

CadenceAlex said:
I have to admit.. I filed (sawed :eek: ) a womans finger so badly (supposedly down the sidewall) that the gash in her finger was unbelievable... and the file was so rough, it was lethal.. I don't know why they sell those files... they are like weapons! The woman hardly squeaked but the wound was bleeding badly.. I was really shocked!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OUCH:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ValencianNails said:
i don't use NSI gels personally, but a few Geeks on here do.
to be able to use them on paying clients you'd have to have done the training for your insurance to cover you.
it depends on which company you want to train with as to whether you can buy them without a gel certificate or conversion course.

That's a really interesting point.. I am covered with the guild and they only asked me for my certificate to say that I am a nail tech - it doesn't specify which system i use.

Will look into that.. thanks Valencia

MINKUS said:

Yup.. did the same to myself shortly after.. :o and have to keep a thumb tip on at ALL times to prevent it getting knocked anymore.. as the pain is excruciating... its on the top of my thumb.. and I have no idea how as there is no nail there!!!

CadenceAlex said:
Yup.. did the same to myself shortly after.. :o and have to keep a thumb tip on at ALL times to prevent it getting knocked anymore.. as the pain is excruciating... its on the top of my thumb.. and I have no idea how as there is no nail there!!!

u r winding me up right?

ValencianNails said:
that's where professional ethics come into things... to know the difference between getting the appropriate training before using one OR to just go right on out there and potentially mess up peoples nails.
As has been said many times before on this site, one needs the CORRECT training. Many peeps ask if a home learn or one day course is ideal for becoming a good nail technichian. I think we all know the answer to this question. Proper and recognized training with the proper and recognized training establishments. Big thing is that this is just what the nail industry is trying to acheive. Nail techs are striving to be acknowledged as professionals in their own right so a certain standard needs to be set. If so called techs are drilling holes into their clients nail beds:eek: then they have not received the correct training or need further training.I have said it before and I will say it again here, that I have seen nails filed paper thin from manual (and not electric) filing. Any tool used in the wrong hands is unsafe and can have damaging consequences!

I must admit I've cut people before now with a sharp file when I forgot to take the edge off first, but nothing serious. I have also seen the damage caused by a normal file in the wrong hands. I had a girl from another salon who had a huge hole through the middle of one nail with skin sticking through :eek: Then there's always the people who have been victims of a relative's Rio kit or over-enthusiastic student.

The most important thing is the training, whether you use a hand file or e-file. Both can cause damage in the wrong hands. I know teks who have been taught to use 100grit files to etch the nail plate! :eek: Their enhancements stick well but the nails underneath are ripped to shreds. I just think an e-file needs more care as it speeds up the process & it's easy to go too far.

CadenceAlex said:

youre meant to blunt a new file by filing the sides on another file to take the sharp edge off before you use a new file, im really shocked too!

You would think they'd blunt the sides before they sell them wouldn't you? I know to take the sharp edges off before I use them, but does everybody? It'd reduce accidents if they were sold ready to use.

I think there has been alot of bad press on drills and also they have been used by certain salons incorrectly which has installed fear in alot of clients. I dont think there is anything wrong with using a drill in the correct hands using the correct drill bits for each job and never to be used on the natural nail bed. I often use mine when My hand and arm is hurting from doing alot of nails and massage etc in the day. I use it to file out the underside of the nail when needed and to take down length and for back fills to swipe out a nice neat smile line. I dont use it all the time just when I need to with some clients.

I like a properly used e-file!
I have'nt got one yet, but I got training last year with NSI.
E-files can be dangerous if used wrongly, & so can a hand file!
We have the responsibility to make sure we are trained to use our chosen tools and products, all are highly dangerous when used improperly.
There, I will stand down off me soapbox now :lol: !

I think we know that training is of the utmost importance no matter what tools of the trade are used.
I use an efile/drill and have had no problems, again because of the training i received and the practise i have under taken to ensure my skill and confidence.
I find that it does take a lot of time of my rebalances and provides me with a nice clean canvas to begin again. In Australia i would say the majority of salons use drills, again this is for the time saving it can have in the right skilled hands.
To answer the above thread about using it on real people as opposed to a trainer - i was trained to use it on myself as well as on clients so that i knew what the pressure felt like. I only burned one of my models in training but she was my best friend so she had to forgive me! But i never did it again!!!!!!:eek:

lotus blossom said:
youre meant to blunt a new file by filing the sides on another file to take the sharp edge off before you use a new file, im really shocked too!

I have learnt more from people on this site than I learnt on my training!! I never knew to blunt a new file. I have bought loads of files, 400/400 right down to 100 and I will never make that mistake again.

Latest posts

Back