Winding down from the summer...rather quiet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAILZTONES

Reaction score
Is it just in my world or have things gone rather quiet for you guys too?

I have been self employed as a Mobile Nail Tech since the beginning of the year, so with it being my first year in business its all new to me!

Jan, Feb and March I spent building up my business, advertising, leaflet dropping and getting new clients (and increasing my debt of course!) During the summer months June, July & August, I'm pleased to say I've been extremely busy and thoroughly enjoyed being so busy and earning decent enough money to pay off some of those debts incurred when starting up.

But suddenly, I've noticed that the last two weeks have been strangely quiet. Is this normal in this industry I wonder, is it winding down from the summer months, the kids have gone back to school, autumn clothes are in shops so people are covering up therefore no waxing, no tanning. But they still need to get their nails done - so where are they??

I'm hoping that its the quiet before the storm of Christmas body preparation......what do you think guys?

Hayley x

i am lucky that my regulars keep me ticking over nicely but yes as for new clients it has been quiet and it was like this last year its because
the kids are back to school and people are broke till pay day after spending hundreds on uniforms.
also holidays people will be skint after paying holidays and also their credit card from the hols.
i usually find that mid october it really picks up again and then its madness until january where you have the quiet again.
also after the 6 weeks holidays peoples routine of daily life is just getting back to normal.
why dont you promote a "kids back to school so treat yourself " or something along those lines to tempt new clients.
but it is usual after the 6 weeks for it to be quieter

Thanks Joanne for your reply.

Yeah I was thinking of an offer/promotion too, will get on it!

My regulars are just about keeping me ticking over too, but now even they are back to their basics of just an infill appointment! Whereas they were having Pedi's, waxing, tans etc over last few months.

Hayley

Yes, same here. I have regulars keeping me going at the minute but not much in the way of new clients!
Have just bought my magnetic boards for my car so hoping I'll get some more business from that soon.
But not long until you have to work 24/7 with the run up to xmas, parties and new year!!

Thanks Joanne for your reply.

Yeah I was thinking of an offer/promotion too, will get on it!

My regulars are just about keeping me ticking over too, but now even they are back to their basics of just an infill appointment! Whereas they were having Pedi's, waxing, tans etc over last few months.

Hayley

Its been the same for me this last fortnight too Hayley. I am busy studying again at the moment so its not been too much of a downer for me ... I hope it picks up again though soon :)

I have been fully booked for weeks but this week is really quiet. Thank goodness for regulars. I am going to look for a last minute holiday deal in the next few weeks before the rush starts for xmas.

I was supposed to be on a Lash/brow tinting course today, but it got cancelled. As I didn't have any clients booked in I thought I would make use of the spare time I have and do a leaflet drop (plus the fact I was thinking of the exercise that I need). I know you don't get many calls from leaflet drops, I'd say on average 3 to 5 for every 100 you post, but sometimes its worth it!

I went out with 300 leaflets and decided that I wouldn't return home until I'd posted them all, anyway I'm back home now, still with 100 leaflets, feeling very hot and bothered as its very muggy out there today. Anyway the main reason I'm home and I lost interest after a couple of hours, is that a man came out of his house huffin and puffin and ripped up my leaflet and stamped it on the floor and slammed his front door !! I was in fact 2 doors away when I turned back and then realised what he was doing. It then got me thinking that even though I know its not "junk mail", to others it may seem so and do we really need any more through our letter boxes. Then a lady took one off me entering her house and asked for one for her niece and said she'd be in touch......so for every cloud there's a silver lining I guess!

(I think I'll go around to that guy's house in the middle of the night and put 100 through his door LOL !!!)

Other way round for me. I have been dead the whole summer & since last week things are picking up & ive had loads of requests for pamper partys but they've all been to far away to be worthwhile. Im sure things will pick up soon.

Yeh ive been really quiet, 4 clients over the last 2 wks,but ive just done a charity event at my local church ( painting nails & free hand art ) so hopefully this will help with a bit of advertiseing, roll on the mad xmas rush:hug:

Been pretty quiet in the salon all round for the last two weeks for me too, my regulars and home and the salon have still been booking. I think its just the time of year, kids going back to school, holiday bills coming in etc.xx

Still busy for us.Usually starts to quieten down September but still going strong.Run off our feet.Only 2 of us in the salon.Busy,busy,busy.Not complaining though,makes the day go faster.Wish I had more nails though.:cry:

Hey you can have some of my clients!!! I am finding it increasingly difficult to retain my 2 days off because my nail clientel just keeps growing.

Its hard graft so looking forward to some quiet times.

But yes the general enquiries on the phone has gone quiet, plenty of calls for advertising tho.

We also have been a bit quiet but like the other geeks said the money pot has run dry with summer hols etc (I know mine has!!!) but geekies it is the calm before the storm of the winter rush so I think we all should enjoy this time - We deserve it!!!

im up and down at the moment and over the next few weeks (i know they could change as it gets nearer) but one minute i think where is everyone? and start to panic then a week later they all come back?! i think its abit unpredictable over the next month or two then everyone will want to come christmas week lol ! :eek:

Latest posts

Back