Worst customer ever! I just dont know what to do! HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan11

Reaction score
Hiya geeks,

This may turn out to be a noval so Ill say sorry now. I just dont know what to do anymore.

I tanned someone ive grown up with two weeks ago with a 12%, she was very happy with it. she then had a tan on sunday, once id set up, she said she wanted to be darker then the last tan. I reminded her she'd had a 12% last time and she said 'I know I wanna be darker'. i said I had a 14% at home and she asked for that!!!. I tanned her with it and got her to check it, she was happy.

The next morning i had a txt saying she was patchy all over. so I went up before i went work. she didnt open the door or answer the phone. i went home and txt saying ive been up and u never answered ur phone or the door. she replied saying you haven't been to my house im in. so I replied telling her i had and her boyfriends car wasn't out side. After this i went straight bk up as I needed to see this for myself and was worried she was trying to pull a fast one as she was not paying me til wednesday.

I got there to find she had dry peeling skin on her face and patches on her lower legs where she had crossed them then she says she hasn't taken the excess off. telling to shower and cream and then to text me i left for work. I never heard from her.

On the evening I messaged her asking what the tans like and she said she looks like a twat!!! she was patchy all over. I reminded her the marks on her legs were from leaning the on each other and he face was dry.

I called my trainer and was told it was because she hadn't followed through with her prep before having a diff %.

anyway I went bk yesterday as she had text me the day before asking how to get the tan off as she looked like she had a skin disease. I found she had removed it from her face and her chest was really patchy and the triangle at the top of her back and shoulders were also the same. I then realised the patches were like when you peel from a suntan.

I put a lil barrier cream over the patches and retanned her were she wanted. I then found out she had creamed before i had gone to tan her in the first place!!! she checked it and I left after being paid. this morning I have recieved another text saying she had a white patch on her face!!!!!
I reminded her, her face was evenly covered when I left her and she had checked it herself. and told her to send me a pic of it as I was very busy. ( i also know even though she says she has not touched it or lent on it she would have.) but didnt get a pic. she told me she hadnt showered so i told her to shower and cream.

Im not sure what to do with her. none of these problems are my fault and it seems like what ever i do theres something. shes the sort of person to go and tell people Ive messed her tan up. etc.
Please someone help!!!:Scared::twisted:

Hi, i'm no tanning geek .....

Have you got information leaflets/flyers? Do you take your client through a consultation?

I would make some info leaflets detailing pre prep before tanning, baggy clothing, aftercare etc. If you issue these in written form then that is the clients responsibility to ensure your advice is followed!

I am currently setting up doing nails with a friend whom has just done a tanning course, we have a client consultation and have a policy proceedure that clients HAVE to read and sign. we are hoping that this method is to protect us against any mis haps upon the clients side.

You said something about her moisturising? before a tan? IF so didn't this act lika a barrier to the tan? Sorry like i said before i'm not a tan geek.

Is there any possible chance she could have a problem with tanning products? Has she had problems in the past?

I really dont think she should be saying how she looks in that manner, you simply gave her what she wanted.

Sorry so long, just my thoughts on your situation

hey! she's being an idiot so personally i'd treat her like an idiot. next time she books in for her tan i would take round a prep leaflet for her, with what to do and what not to do before a tan, when you get there take wipes with you and wipe her down, sit down with her and go through the prep sheet and one by one ask her if shes done it all, and tell her if she hasnt been exfoliating and moisturising then it'll flake and peel again, make up a client card with all this information on and make her sign it to say shes done her prep. when you've done her spray tan stay with her until its touch dry, even if this adds 30mins onto her appointment, go through the aftercare advice with her and get her to sign again, tell her to go check and say to her 'are you happy because i'm leaving now and its up to you to follow the aftercare advice or you will end up with a patchy tan AGAIN' then wait and see if she text you because otherwise you look like you're in the wrong when you're obviously not :D i find the most annoying thing clients do with spray tan is not exfoliate & moisturise. good luck! :D

Im gona be a bit harsh and say why on earth are you self doubting yourself?! Texting her to make sure its ok?! You're in a way giving her a chance to moan about everything.

Now because shes a someone you know, she reckons she can take the pee.

Just be confident in your ability and state to her, i cannot proceed with the spraytan if you havent followed thru with prep and aftercare.
Let her know that she must exfoilate prior to having another tan, as this being patchy is not your fault-although you're treating her with x amount on top of skin which already has dha pentrated thru outer layer, which will naturally fade then become patchy. (hope it makes sense!)

I think you need to ensure that your system of before & after every tan is go thru prep prior to booking & hand out leaflets. then ensure you do it during the treatment ask what they have done before spraying, ie deoderant makeup etc, Then again after finishing for every client. I have aftercare "speech" regardless who it is, and go thru everything which is written on the aftercare, then simply state if you have any problems...which you shouldnt lemme know straight away. (tbh ive only recieved 2 ppl come back one being pregnant and the other exfoilated!!! )

In a way you have to make them memorize that to maintain a tan this is what you need to do.

This girl seems to me leaving it on far too long, giving it that leathery look, make sure you let her know the minimum and maxium amount of development time. otherwise shes a sofa! hehe!! xoxo

I used to be guilty of not running through pre and post treatment consultation on 'mates'.

I most certainly do it for ALL clients now, whether they are not payinf, paying mate rates or full price.

I do feel for you, unfortunately she has caused the damage and is expecting you to 'fix' it.

She needs reminding that while you happy to help her, she needs to help herself (in the nicest possible way of course!!)

Good luck x

Hello...

Firstly do not panic! And please do not let this woman put you off spray tanning.

You say youve grown up with her... to me it sounds like shes using this to take advantage, maybe having problems in hope of getting a free spray tan.

Depending on her skin type this could have been to do with using a higher DHA... I am very olive skinned myself and basically go black in the sun :cool: however I had my boyfriend spray me with a 14% and ended up patchy. I then made a thread on here and there is a possibilty that a clients skin may not handle a 14% as well as others.

Make sure she exfoliates the day before she has her tan and on the day of her tan she has showered and not put any skin products on. To be honest it sounds like she doesnt know how to maintain a tan or how to prep before one.

People are very sly nowadays. I did someone I knew and had been doing tans before she even came along. I tanned her like normal however she requested two layers, I warned her that it may take longer to dry and I dont advise two layers yet she insisted. Once I finished her spray I wiped her hands over and the bottom of her feet. She then messaged me in the morning saying her hands were completely orange and she was not happy. She then also tried making it out to be my fault. I have not tanned her since and do not intend to.

If you want to tan her again like 'Wonderwoman' said, run through absolutely everything with her x

Hello...

Firstly do not panic! And please do not let this woman put you off spray tanning.

You say youve grown up with her... to me it sounds like shes using this to take advantage, maybe having problems in hope of getting a free spray tan.

Depending on her skin type this could have been to do with using a higher DHA... I am very olive skinned myself and basically go black in the sun :cool: however I had my boyfriend spray me with a 14% and ended up patchy. I then made a thread on here and there is a possibilty that a clients skin may not handle a 14% as well as others.

Make sure she exfoliates the day before she has her tan and on the day of her tan she has showered and not put any skin products on. To be honest it sounds like she doesnt know how to maintain a tan or how to prep before one.

People are very sly nowadays. I did someone I knew and had been doing tans before she even came along. I tanned her like normal however she requested two layers, I warned her that it may take longer to dry and I dont advise two layers yet she insisted. Once I finished her spray I wiped her hands over and the bottom of her feet. She then messaged me in the morning saying her hands were completely orange and she was not happy. She then also tried making it out to be my fault. I have not tanned her since and do not intend to.

If you want to tan her again like 'Wonderwoman' said, run through absolutely everything with her x

why don't you advise spraying 2 layers? just wondered as on my course i got told to do this, i dont think i ever have but its never crossed my mind not to. i got told to do a lot of things on different courses which i have been told are big no no's by other geeks :)

why don't you advise spraying 2 layers? just wondered as on my course i got told to do this, i dont think i ever have but its never crossed my mind not to. i got told to do a lot of things on different courses which i have been told are big no no's by other geeks :)

It's a waste of time and product. Your skin can only absorb a certain amount of DHA so no matter how many times you spray, it'll turn out the same. It's only the bronzer when you spray that looks really dark. It doesn't make a difference to the final colour.

ooo thats good to know! thank you :D

I got told to spray two layers as well, but having not receive my kit yet from Omg over 2 weeks ago, I haven't done a tan yet. So do you not advise to spray down one side, then go back and spray again down same side after few mins? That's what I did on my training. X

I got told to spray two layers as well, but having not receive my kit yet from Omg over 2 weeks ago, I haven't done a tan yet. So do you not advise to spray down one side, then go back and spray again down same side after few mins? That's what I did on my training. X

You can apply in 2 thin coats as I was taught this way in my training.

They teach you that way to limit the chance of you missing any bits. If you miss a bit first time your unlikely to miss the same bit on the second pass.
I now only do 1 coat as I am confident in my routine that I wont miss any bits and so I set up my gun turned up a teeny bit more and will put onto the skin the same amount of solution I used to use in 2 coats.

When you get your machine and you set up your gun you will be able to tell if you prefer doing 2 thin coats or just the 1 slightly heavier one. As I say the 2 light coats should use the same amount of solution as 1 coat (up to 75ml for first few tans then down to anywhere between 35ml/50ml per tan).

If your gun is set up to spray 1 coat and then you spray them twice your just wasting solution and making the guide colour look darker.

I would only spray once, as a rule, for the same reasons as mentioned above. However... and here's comes the exception to the rule:wink2: From having had years of experience spraying my eldest, I know that on some people, there's areas that won't take the tan as well - it just won't develop as fully as in other areas of the body. I've checked this with a couple of other tanners and trainers and they've ntoiced the same. The problem areas for my eldest are the shins, sternum area and the thoracic spine area. I have to spray her twice in these areas just to make sure, especially when she's being tanned to compete. Since she gets judged on her appearance, I sometimes have to "spot" tan her again the next day.
I would always ask a client if they've had a tan before and then enquire if they've had areas on their body where they found the tan didn't develeop as well. I'd then ensure 2 sweeps of that area to reassure myself and the client.

We, therapists, know what we are doing. Because we have undertaken training to do this.

Its only when client start complaining, we start to doubt our skills as therapist. NO NO NO. Us therapist MUST stick together.
We must be confident in our abilities as a therapist otherwise everyone would take advantage of our nature. We are running a business not a flipping charity.

Your friend is taking the *...ing piss. - why am i having a rant on several forums, left, right and centre - my pregnancy hormones are not helping. Funnily enough, since i got pregnant, i have become much more assertive, cool (ish) but controlled. which i suppose is a good thing (or not!)

Anyway we are not talking about me... Hugs:hug:.. Tell your idiot friend to grow up.

Everyone who has posted their replies in this thread are absolutely right.

Do you want me to come round and later and give her a smack, i'll happily do it for you...(and no one mess around with a pregnant woman!):biggrin::biggrin:

xxx

Please don't doubt yourself!! You cannot control what people do before or after a tan, merely advise them of prep and aftercare. If she continues to pull this one, you have to reply,when next asked to tan her, 'Im afraid it appears your skin doesn't take the solution well, so there's no point'..and smile sweetly!!! ..then hang up or walk away!!:hug:

Thank you so much for you replys. Its just so annoying because she will say shes exfoliating and even her sister said she probs hasn't. shes really got to me, ive done so many tans the last week and the only one thats gone wrong is hers!!

i have some prep and aftercare for but has anyone got any forms thast they use for me to look at. I really want something that states I will take no responibility for probs due to not carrying out prep and aftercare fully, that they can also sign. then i could keep them in a folder. if that makes sense.

it just makes me feel bad getting told the tans rubbish.

Please don't doubt yourself!! You cannot control what people do before or after a tan, merely advise them of prep and aftercare. If she continues to pull this one, you have to reply,when next asked to tan her, 'Im afraid it appears your skin doesn't take the solution well, so there's no point'..and smile sweetly!!! ..then hang up or walk away!!:hug:

ooo, I like that idea.

She knows that she's doing the wrong thing so just avoid spraying her from now on.

Sounds to me like poor prep on her part, I'd be wary of putting to high % on fair skins aswell purely because any mishaps are easily seen due to the colour diffence but also because they come off terribly, if you explain it to her and she wants the tan still then it is in her hands. I dont think you should doubt yourself in anyway, it sounds to me like she hasn't listened because she hasn't respected you as a therapist enough itms. Keep calm and carry on Tanning :)

Latest posts

Back