Would this work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendynailedit

Reaction score
I love Shellac, and I do lots of rockstar nails. I've always kept two bottles of top coat in stock - one for my rockstar nails, the other for normal Shellac. The thing is, this costs me more money because I get through quite a bit of top coat! If I were to use zillionaire or mother of pearl as my first coat over the glitter, would this be ok? These are colours I don't use much of since introducing rockstar and my thoughts are, it won't matter if glitter gets in them because they're already glittery! Then I only need stock one top coat, which I'll be able to use for all nails?

Does this make sense, and does it sound ok to you?!

Thanks xx

Hi! It may work but they still have texture to them. I d give it a go but I would say the top coat is a little thicker. Also it will change the effect slightly I would have thought? Sorry not sure if that is helpful or not!!

Hi! It may work but they still have texture to them. I d give it a go but I would say the top coat is a little thicker. Also it will change the effect slightly I would have thought? Sorry not sure if that is helpful or not!!

Lol! Yes it is helpful! I would still put the top coat over the zillionaire so that should make it smooth. I see what you're saying about it changing the effect though...hum...! X

I was thinking that myself but id try it first on a nail display first then you will know for sure, I wouldnt try it on a client though unless your 100 percent sure as the nails might be left really rough to the touch

All you can do is give it a go. If you've got the clients coming in then the price of having to have 2 top coats in stick at all times shouldn't be a problem. It's better value to buy the bigger bottles if you don't already use them!

I've used my clearly pink previously as the first 'top coat' over the glitter as I don't have much call for this normally so a good way to use it up - however once this is finished I will continue with 2 top coats - as the top coat and colours are the same price - having two separate bottles does not cost me anymore as I would use the same amount regardless of using separtate bottles or just one.

BTW - using the clearly pink worked fine

That's a really interesting thread as I'm new to Rockstar nails. Am I alright in asking how much you charge for your Rockstar nails? Not got to that point yet but I assume as it takes a bit longer and more product I should be charging a bit more. Sorry didn't mean to hi jack your thread.

That's a really interesting thread as I'm new to Rockstar nails. Am I alright in asking how much you charge for your Rockstar nails? Not got to that point yet but I assume as it takes a bit longer and more product I should be charging a bit more. Sorry didn't mean to hi jack your thread.

No problem! I charge an extra £5 for rockstar but I know lots of geeks charge £10 more. Worth it though! These are some did today...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1326477029.824689.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1326477029.824689.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 315
Oh I like those. Gorgeous!!! What combo is that?

I have always used a layer of clearly pink before the top coat over rockstar nails and never had a problem, Can't see why using zillionaire or MOP should be any different.
Jen xx

No problem! I charge an extra £5 for rockstar but I know lots of geeks charge £10 more. Worth it though! These are some did today...

That's a scrummy colour love it. What it is by the way :)
Vicki xx

Thanks! It's Shellac Fedora with fine chocolate brown glitter which I bought whilst on holiday in Poland...sorry I can't give you a more specific colour! Xx

Another trick i learned from Greg of Young Nails is to take one of your sticky round pieces from your sculpting forms and stick to your finger-pad.
Then pat/rub the glitter flat before top-coating. This helps to smooth a LOT of the 'bumps'

hths'

Thank you I appreciate you sharing. Lots of great tips and hints here. Fab!

Another trick i learned from Greg of Young Nails is to take one of your sticky round pieces from your sculpting forms and stick to your finger-pad.
Then pat/rub the glitter flat before top-coating. This helps to smooth a LOT of the 'bumps'

hths'

Thanks for the tip...unfortunately I don't do enhancements so can't benefit from that one! I get most of the excess glitter off with a brush anyway but as someone pointed out once, it only takes one piece of glitter in your top coat to end up on someone who hates glitter! Xx

I have always used a layer of clearly pink before the top coat over rockstar nails and never had a problem, Can't see why using zillionaire or MOP should be any different.
Jen xx

Ah, this was your fab tip Jen :). I shared it the other day but couldn't remember who I got it from. Cheers xx

Thanks for the tip...unfortunately I don't do enhancements so can't benefit from that one! I get most of the excess glitter off with a brush anyway but as someone pointed out once, it only takes one piece of glitter in your top coat to end up on someone who hates glitter! Xx

How about trying with a piece of tin-foil, or wax paper?
Cut a square, kinda wrap the middle finger with it and hold in place with index and ring fingers up alongside the middle finger... and pat/rub into place with that?

I love Shellac, and I do lots of rockstar nails. I've always kept two bottles of top coat in stock - one for my rockstar nails, the other for normal Shellac. The thing is, this costs me more money because I get through quite a bit of top coat! If I were to use zillionaire or mother of pearl as my first coat over the glitter, would this be ok? These are colours I don't use much of since introducing rockstar and my thoughts are, it won't matter if glitter gets in them because they're already glittery! Then I only need stock one top coat, which I'll be able to use for all nails?

Does this make sense, and does it sound ok to you?!

Thanks xx

My guess is they'll come out even blingier coz I find that the topcoat dulls the shine a bit. I think it's a fab idea and I'm gonna use my zillionaire for this job too now!! Thanks hun xx

What difference would it make if you used either a top coat or something else over glitter? In the end, isn't it going to cost you the same? You are still using two items, or am I missing something?

Latest posts

Back