Would you be put off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebeauty14

Reaction score
Just wondering all you nail geeks out there, would you be put off if you went to a home salon and there was a baby/toddler in the house? That's going to be my situation as soon as I'm sorted out and set up and I will work around the shifts of my husband so he's always at home looking after him but I can't guarantee no baby noise at all!! I'm worried about it as I really want to do a home salon as being mobile has too many dangers, coupled with hiking all the equipment around with you. Anyone else in same situation? Ever had a client put off? Also (sorry I know this is nail geek) but as I'm also a beauty therapist too would it be a good idea to send my son on a trip out with Dad when doing relaxing things like facials? Excited squeals of a baby don't make a relaxing atmosphere and I don't think they'll believe me if I try to pass it off as whale noises in my backing music!
Many thanks you awesome geeks!

I can only tell you personally, I hate the sound of a squealing baby when I'm in a situation that's suppose to be relaxing for me. Nothing against you or your baby.

Hiya
I've worked from home for 15 years and child noise has never been a problem. When the children were younger I always made sure I made appointments round times when I knew they'd be a lot of noise such as tea time. As they're older I always make sure i'm not working when they come in from school until my husband gets home from work. My clients always say that they can't believe I have children/dogs/husband at home as they never hear them. That said, I guess it will depend on which part of the house your clinic is going to be in. Hope it works out for you.

I'd hate it and wouldn't book in for a treatment if I knew there was going to be a child around.

Just wondering all you nail geeks out there, would you be put off if you went to a home salon and there was a baby/toddler in the house? That's going to be my situation as soon as I'm sorted out and set up and I will work around the shifts of my husband so he's always at home looking after him but I can't guarantee no baby noise at all!! I'm worried about it as I really want to do a home salon as being mobile has too many dangers, coupled with hiking all the equipment around with you. Anyone else in same situation? Ever had a client put off? Also (sorry I know this is nail geek) but as I'm also a beauty therapist too would it be a good idea to send my son on a trip out with Dad when doing relaxing things like facials? Excited squeals of a baby don't make a relaxing atmosphere and I don't think they'll believe me if I try to pass it off as whale noises in my backing music!
Many thanks you awesome geeks!

Well at least you have a good sense of humour about it!! lol

The answer for me is yes, it would deter me from going to anyones home, especially for the beauty side of things, I would not feel at peace and relaxed with baby noises and and to be peaceful and relaxed for me is a huge part of a beauty treatment.

I personally go to a salon to get away from the home environment and I think allot of women feel the same. I've raised up 5 children and have 8 grandchildren and I adore each and every one of them but I dont seek them out during ME time. lol Maybe it is a generation thing but if the home salon had a proper salon ambience then the fact that i was in a home would not bother me.

Funnily enough we used to have a cute sign in our nail salon that said ... "Dogs are welcome here ... children are not!" :lol:

Maybe it is a generation thing but if the home salon had a proper salon ambience then the fact that i was in a home would not bother me.

That's the key. My home clinic was specifially converted from the garage so it does feel like a separate part of the house. The only part that is attached is the kitchen and that's a no-go area for anyone in the house when i'm working. My husband always took the children upstairs/out when I worked in the early days - I think it works as long as your husband is supportive and you treat it like a proper salon/clinic.

Personally it wouldn't really bother me unless i was having a facial or massage. If the toddler was having a screaming tantrum that may be a little differeant but im sure with your hubby being with him he can take him out in the pushchair if he gets too loud - i think a lot of people would understand xx

I think it would only be fair to warn the client first & let them make the choose, maybe they might think you wouldn't be concentrating if your baby was screaming in the background.

Would you be upset if they bought their children with them when you were treating them?

If not maybe it would be good to advertise the fact that they can bring the children with them & they can all play together, some people would find it a positive & cheaper than getting a baby sitter whilst they indulge themselves in ME time.

If they have paid for a sitter to get away from baby noise then they wont be impressed.

Be open & let them know, it could be to your advantage.

Just thought, you my need to get them to sign something to say you take no responsibility for them & any damages they pay for... just to cover yourself.

Well at least you have a good sense of humour about it!! lol

The answer for me is yes, it would deter me from going to anyones home, especially for the beauty side of things, I would not feel at peace and relaxed with baby noises and and to be peaceful and relaxed for me is a huge part of a beauty treatment.

I personally go to a salon to get away from the home environment and I think allot of women feel the same. I've raised up 5 children and have 8 grandchildren and I adore each and every one of them but I dont seek them out during ME time. lol Maybe it is a generation thing but if the home salon had a proper salon ambience then the fact that i was in a home would not bother me.

Funnily enough we used to have a cute sign in our nail salon that said ... "Dogs are welcome here ... children are not!" :lol:

Haha where did you get this sign from, i want one!

I personally wouldnt go to a home salon if i knew children were around, but like is said above, if the room in your house where you will be working from is far enough out of the way for childrens noises to be drowned out under the whale music i dont see a problem...just dont tell your clients that there is a child around cos that on its own might put them off from returning.
Best of luck x

What would irritate me more would be direct interruptions of 'mummy I want a drink/lift to football' or whatever.

We have strict rules about no trombone practice when clients (even music loving friends!) are around. Mine are almost 18 and almost 21 now. My dd is very good, her reward for any treatment she would like is that when clients come, she does drinks for them. (not that she's around much now though) She's my receptionist! LOL! DS is less forthcoming, but if I bellow up that Helen would like tea with 2 sugars then it's done with a smile. I try not to differentiate between clients that are friends and acquaintances and those I don't know (scarce) but in fact the friends do that themselves, by engaging the tea bearer in conversation.

Normal background chatter and play of kids wouldn't really bother me, but distressed or rowdy tones would!

I'm sure that you can sort out a workable solution, maybe go to the park or shopping when you have someone in.

My room isn't big enough to accommodate kids as well. In my early days I did a massage for someone in the evening. Child 'wouldn't' go to bed, so I was busy massaging her with Fireman Sam going on in the background. I don't think she had her money's worth.

My sister-in-law is a licensed beauty professional for skin and nails. She has a separate room in her home that she has converted in a miniature salon. When my nephew was young and my sister-in-law had a client, her husband (my brother) would take over his care: Be that take him to the opposite end of the house or out of the house completely, it worked. There was absolutely no child noise whatsoever.

Brilliant thanks geeks! I may have to re think things, although my baby is very good and hardly cries, more random chattering and shrieking, which isn't great either for a relaxing treatment when you think about it! My Mum mentioned to me that she would hate to go to a salon if there was a child there as it doesn't look professional. So I think I'll maybe see how my baby is in a couple of months time. Is mobile any good? Or is safety an issue and is transporting loads of equipment an issue? So many things to take into consideration!

i can only give my opinion....it would really put me off as my baby daughter died. and if i was coming to get my nails done i would be doing it as a release for me to get away from the stresses of the day and i would find that very difficult. however i am sure there are many at home nail techs that are in the same position as you and i suppose its down to your individual customers. your regulars may not mind and may like to see your child, new customers or people like myself that dont want to be around babies may find it offputting x

My profile pic is what you'd see at the end of the facial! Lol. JOKE! 

God sorry put that reply before thread had been updated. So sorry for your daughter.

God I feel terrible, so sorry gracefulnails. I couldn't think of anything worse and my heart goes out to you. 

i can only give my opinion....it would really put me off as my baby daughter died. and if i was coming to get my nails done i would be doing it as a release for me to get away from the stresses of the day and i would find that very difficult. however i am sure there are many at home nail techs that are in the same position as you and i suppose its down to your individual customers. your regulars may not mind and may like to see your child, new customers or people like myself that dont want to be around babies may find it offputting x

My condolences on the loss of your little girl.

My profile pic is what you'd see at the end of the facial! Lol. JOKE! 
What a little cutie :)

I'm mobile and work from home. I advertise as mobile but give people the option, some choose to come to me even when my Son (3 years old) is at home and really don't mind, they often say to take him along with me when I go to their's, especially if they have kids themselves.

I make people quite aware of the fact that he'd be with me and they have the option of booking whilst he's at nursery / in bed / or with me - you could do the same - I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

However, that's coming from me who does nails / tans & eyelashes, nothing that's particularly therapeutic, if I was to do anything like that, I wouldn't even consider having him there as I know he can't keep quiet long enough :D

..on the other hand though, I'm very welcoming of client's children too - you need to think if you would be the same viceversa :)

If I was coming for waxing, nails etc your child making noises would not bother me in the slightest but we are all different, I have children and absolutely love children but I have to say I wouldnt particularly want to hear them if I was having a facial or massage - I do think you need to make your clients aware of the possible noise though x

I don't think baby chattering or laughs would put me off. Screaming would but I am sure your husband would help and take the baby out if the noise was that bad. I have a small salon but also cater for mobile clients new and old. I have never had a bad experience in the two years I have been working mobile. You get a feeling regarding a house within minutes of being there. In the odd occasion it has not felt right I have made an excuse and left. This has been more to do with the state of the home I have been sent to rather than fear for my safety though. One house I went to had dog mess in several places in the house. The smell was rancid. I said I felt ill and would have to cancel. I left before protest and thankfully they did not call back to re book.

x

Deepest sympathies to the geek who lost her little girl x Big Hugs x :hug:

Latest posts

Back