Would you do gel nails on a 13yr old??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelMcNail

Reaction score
hey, i had 13 yr old booked in today to get nails to get gel done, i politely refused her and told her to come back when she is over 16... is this wrong? :|

You probably wouldnt be insured to!

No No No No No!! Over 16's only....god when are people gonna just let kids be kids, I know there's peer pressure from friends etc. but when I told my mam 'so and so's mam let her' I was told ' I'm not so and so's mam' I was upset briefly, but I got over it!!

I would only ever do this with the parents permission and present, they would also have to have a pretty good reason.
I have done a 14 yr old nails with a natural french gel application but I did not extend the nail bed at all, she was a model and needed them to look decent.

Hi,

I have to say that I shamelessly practise on my 14 year old NNO´s and airbrushing on her nails as well as her little sister who is 11. The motives are always very girly.

But as a client.... only with her mothers permission and both of them present so that I could explain the maintenance, removal and care of the nails at home.

You were totally right 13 is way too young. Occasionally I will bring out my waiver for a 15 yr old but no way would I put nails on a 13 yrs old.

I wouldnt do nail on a 13 year old on the salon BUT I do do my 13 year old gel nails as a treat in school hols on the understanding that she is NOT to pick at them ~I have to take them off

Hey,
I'd check with your insurance company as well? Some places you do need to take out a separate policy so you are able to do treatments to under 16s. In most cases it's usualy parental consent that is needed and they usualy sign some sort of disclaimer or something - but worth checking just incase!!
Louise x

My first reaction is that I would do enhancements on my own child, but not someone elses, at that age. As everyone else has said, the aftercare is the direct issue. Then again (having a Libra moment) if the child was really quite mature and the enhancement was to assist to stop biting, ie. very short, then I would consider an exception. Good luck with whatever you decide.

No shame, I practice on my 14YO (son, mind you!) ha ha ha. now that I have my nail trainer I just use his hands to practice polishing and art. I may retire him from that now that my 10 year old is on a mission to let her nails grow out as I've told her if she can get them to end of her finger, she's the new model. LOL

No, I wouldnt. but I have only just qualified and feel that I would be entering a risky area and would not feel comfortable offering that service to a child.

I have been busy setting out a policy stating 16 years or over only.

Maybe if you ask me that question again in a few years time i might answer differently but for now, the answer is no. I have so much to learn and feel that sort of choice should be left to someone with more knowledge than me.

tigi

With the parent in attendance, I would poss do biosculpture nno.

I once had an 8 yr old girl in with her mother and grandmother who had just had her nails done in nss. I spent rather some time lecturing the two adults as you can imagine, explaining all the ins and outs, maintenance etc and also how nss salons differ from mine etc etc - they didn't give a sh't!

Oh, and she also had a head full of highlights! And high heels, mini skirt and skin tight top!

As you can imagine, I was horrified.

I would say 13 is too young too. I would only ever do this if her parent signed the disclaimer on my consultation form.

This has been asked many times on here and i used to say no way....and still would say no way to my own girls...i very strongly believe that kids should stay kids for as long as possible...i have a 13 year old daughter and she is still (thankfully) a little girl...she doesn't do make up...or play boy fashions or boys...:lol:

But....just cos i think that way about my children doesn't give me the right to enforce my believes onto another parent....so if a parent was ok with her 13 year old having nails then YES i would do them...

Its not my choice to make...its the parents of their child.

Latest posts

Back