Would you do it again?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
There are times when I'm overtired and overwhelmed and I sob like a gurl, stomping around the place saying that if I had my time again I would NEVER have become a business owner.
A stiff talking to, a glass of wine and many tissues later I get over myself and carry on with my plans for world domination (currently scheduled for July 23rd 2014)

I got to thinking; for those of who for whom this is your only source of income, would you do it again? Or, knowing what you know now (like, hell, is it really this hard? Really??), given the difficult past few years, would you have trodden a different path?

Finally, if you weren't doing this, what would you be doing?

(I'd be Alex's sex toy ;))

100% yes. It can be extremely stressful but wouldn't change it for the world. But if I wasn't a beauty therapist I'd have been a vet!

Id be in a mortuary conducting post mortems .

Can i let you know in a couple of years time? Still very new, very quiet, and very skint! So at the moment, I'm seriously considering a life of watching Jeremy Kyle and drinking vodka as a living (lets face it - the dole dossers are getting paid a hell of a lot more than I am!) However, I'm very very hopeful that in a few years time determination & hard work will pay off - and I will be able to say "hell yeah - i'd do it all again!"

Me too. I actually couldn't work for anyone ,( well really, no one would have me ) for a start I am far too opinionated and I like being the boss and calling the shots, making the decisions and choosing what products I'm going to work with.

At this stage I can't think of ever doing else. Although I know what I wouldn't being doing .....working in an office , being told what to do or being in a job that I could not yap and have a laugh all day

I did originally go to college to do German and French translation and interpretation but rocked off in a different path obviously so maybe in a parallel life I would be living the high life in Paris or Berlin with a hunk with a sexy accent !! :):)

I know the German for "doughnut"
Ein Bit In Der Middle Missen.

Sorry!

Been in the hair and beauty industry full time since 6 weeks after my 16th birthday and no I really wouldn't change it,
I listen to my clients talking about their jobs and I just think to hell with that s##t,

but if I wasn't doing this I would be working with animals defiantly, when I will the euro millions I will open a rescue center :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes id do it over and over lol!!!!!!!!!!!

I love being my own boss and the freedom that gives in the sense i can book clients in my way and do the treatments my way. I absolutely love what I do and live and breathe nails to be honest but i wouldnt want it any other way...the only thing i want to do is teach and give something back to an industry thats given me so much. I have worked for others including my husband which was all good but as a person that needs to express her creative side I like being in charge of not just my day but my destiny!!

You can go to work or you can be the boss ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Yes I would do it again but I'm a home based salon and work alone and that's enough for me. I'm at a good place just now with my regular clients and I do what adds up to about 3 days a week (treatment time). I make a good wage for the amount of work I do. Our first baby is on the way and I plan to take 3 months off and go back 3 days. It's perfect for me. I used to work crazy hours etc but now I'm enjoying life. My husband works too though so its not our only income but it pays my share of the bills. I'm glad I started a couple of years ago though as there are so many beauticians now I think it would be harder starting now.

I don't think I could work for anyone else again. From 19 I've been used to being a manager and now self employed.
If I weren't a hairdresser I'd like to think I would be an interior designer x

Well I'm about to do it all again so I must be pretty mad. I was self employed up until September but I wasn't earning enough after going mobile from salon based last April.

I've done a few jobs since and I've really disliked all of them. It's just not the same!

So this time I'm doing it properly! I've been accepted on a government scheme and I'm waiting for a mentor to be assigned to me. I know how hard it's going to be building business back up again but I'm excited about earning whilst doing the job that I love! I will be successful this time!!

How brilliant Rhiannon! And how excellent that you've learnt what for some can be a hard lesson: you HAVE to do it properly or it won't work.
I wish you the very best!

Having just (March) moved into new premises and seen the business grow already, yes, I would do it again, but next time, I wouldn't put every thing in my life on hold to help care for my elderly mother and stepfather. When everything changed (one died, the other moved) I saw my business fly and realised I had real earning capacity. My daughter joining me in the business has been the push I needed to take it to the next level.

If I wasn't doing this, I would be with Lynn Amber rescuing dogs probably, or fostering children!

Yes I'd do it again, but I wish I had sold up the last time I'd had a big offer for the company. I also wish I'd known then what I do now about business structuring, as it would have saved me a fortune.

I have rented a room for 3 years and have loved every minute of building up my clientele I am opening my own beauty salon on Tuesday and truly can't wait to see what the next 3 years have in store for me and my business.

I could never go back to working for someone. Xx

Hmmm ........ interesting question really....

Pros - being self-employed and not having to answer to anyone, good hourly rate compared to what I used to earn, flexibility, great clients and a more "social" outlook on life...

Cons - getting older and getting physically worn out from massage (shoulders, arms and hands in particular), spending too much time at home (because that's where I work from) and not getting nearly enough mental stimulation from beauty therapy (because I'm a person who likes doing difficult things, needs mental challenges and loves handling tricky and complex situations). I think that this in particular will eventually force me to do something else.

Trouble is, who will employ a nearly 50 year old :irked:

Ah well, just got to suck it up I guess and concentrate on the Pros :)

Would I do it again??? In all honesty, probably not but it's ok for now.

PB
x

Yes I'd do it all again. I love my job, my clients and working for myself. I'm a total people person and knew I was never going to be cooped up in an office working from 9 till 5 etc.
It's funny but even when I'm having a day off I my heads still in business mode. I'm a complete training junkie who loves to learn, it feeds my passion. Sad I know. hehe.
I originally wanted to be a vet or a graphic designer.
The thing I love about being in the beauty industry is that it's so creative and challenging.
The only thing I dislike about being self-employed.... bookkeeping. :sad:

Hmmm ........ interesting question really....

Pros - being self-employed and not having to answer to anyone, good hourly rate compared to what I used to earn, flexibility, great clients and a more "social" outlook on life...

Cons - getting older and getting physically worn out from massage (shoulders, arms and hands in particular), spending too much time at home (because that's where I work from) and not getting nearly enough mental stimulation from beauty therapy (because I'm a person who likes doing difficult things, needs mental challenges and loves handling tricky and complex situations). I think that this in particular will eventually force me to do something else.

Trouble is, who will employ a nearly 50 year old :irked:

Ah well, just got to suck it up I guess and concentrate on the Pros :)

Would I do it again??? In all honesty, probably not but it's ok for now.

PB
x

After 10 years of my own salon, I'd had enough, but this was exacerbated by the end of marriage. Trying to maintain my home without a regular guaranteed income, no sick or holiday pay, etc..... I needed stability!

I closed the salon, work full time doing 24/7 shifts in a police staff role and LOVE IT - got the position at aged 49 - life experience still goes a long way, so please don't think you're past it - pm me if you want any info x Difficult and stimulating, tiring, and a challenge - omg I didn't realise how mentally and physically boring I had become :eek:

Would I do it all again tho - ABSOLUTELY! Anything you do in life, if it is right for you at the time, is worth doing! Never look back, take opportunities when they arrive, and learn from mistakes. All old sayings, but relevant xx

How brilliant Rhiannon! And how excellent that you've learnt what for some can be a hard lesson: you HAVE to do it properly or it won't work.
I wish you the very best!

Thank you very much! :) I shall of course be reading over your how to promote a business thread again. I'm excited to get going!

Latest posts

Back