Would you recommend acrylic/popits on this nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_hoarau

Reaction score
hi geeks,

just have look at this nail, what do u think?have u ever had a client coming to you asking to do there nails? whats ur advice to them

YouTube - Fingernails On Right Hand

I for one woulnt even attempt applying enhancements on those. could you not start her on a manicure course and see if she can grow her nails (whats left of them) first, then once she has some nailbed and are of a reasonable length, then maybe..................

I would suggest she see a doc, first. Then if the nails clear up, start off doing manicures. Then go from there.

what's cuticle and what's nail ? :rolleyes: I couldn't even see instantly that it was a finger untill a saw a few of them in a row.

I would never concider putting enhancements on this type of nail. Let's start with some oil on a daily base and regular manicures untill the natural nail get's in better shape.

Doesnt anybody feed them?:lol:

I have never seen bitten nails this bad before! Woah!:eek:

I think 2 weeks of manicures at a discounted price, each time she comes in without bitten nails reward her with 20% off. If she bites then charge full price. She needs to get some nail bed before she can have extensions on; that is shocking!:confused:

Good luck with this one, I think you may need it! x

I have seen this before. 3 times.
2 of them, I was successful. MIND you... for the first month or two, I had to see them weekly. They are now 100% reformed, and have absolutely lovely NNO's where you can't even tell that they ever bit their nails (except for one particular finger on one client that was canibalized so bad, it grew shaped funny).

But these are not for the faint of heart, and a real trick to do. And because there is so little nail plate, you have to make sure there is absolutely nothing past the end of the finger. The free edge has to reach only the end of the finger. Biters are tough on their hands, aside from their canibal instincts, and any edge gets whacked or caught. Since there isn't much of a base, they break easily. Hence the weekly visits to keep them short and smooth and free of rough edges if they have whacked them or nibbled.

The biter also has to be 150% dedicated and trust you and believe in you. Support has to be topnotch. You have to understand their tendencies and congratulate them on every single achievement and milestone.

But it can be done.

wouldnt touch them with a barge pole! :irked:

That is shocking!:eek:

Why would anyone want to bite down to their knuckles?

Its got to hurt surely:rolleyes:

I am not the most experienced tech on the site but I wouldn't touch them with enhancements at all.

A month of manicures and then review would be my view.

I do agree with the course of manicures.
But for the two of my clients with whom I've been successfull, that didn't work. They should just couldn't stop nibbling as the nails kept tearing.
So, no tears, nothing to be tempted by, right?

Like I said, it's really NOT for everyone, and a real tough project to attempt. There were moments I was bashing my head against a wall.
But for the two of them, by the end of 2mths, they were like almost like some regulars that I have now who aren't canibals, but just a tad rough with their hands.

These belong to one of the two reformed biters, and her nails are a tad flattish, but she's done VERY well. Her nails were pretty much like those in the video above. The WORST I had ever seen. Reminder: these are NNO's. She usually shows up with 1 or two missing and a smidgeon of lift. Recently I challenged her to come back with NOTHING broken, nor missing. She proved she could and her reward was her service 1/2 off. Now she routinely comes back with ALL of them intact, even if there is still a bit of lift from being bashed.
ChristynaOrangeFrhibiscus8fgrs.jpg

I have to say it wasn't the nails that worried me it was the super dry cuticles that made me shudder. The problem with nail biters is as Gigi put it, the search for perfection, every little bit of imperfection has to be removed so as Victoria said manicures are not going to do the job but if you can get a nail biter to use oil and file rather then teeth and spit you have a fighting chance. I had one nail biter who's skin was this dry but the nails were not so bad and I sent her off the first week with solar oil and a pink overlay just so that if she did nibble it was the acrylic not her self she nibbled, normally the difference in texture is enough to stop them. I had her back a week later with much softer skin to work with and enough growth to put a very short set on. Funny she still bites her natural nails but leaves enhancements alone:confused:

Hi all, I have been a lurker for a little while and hope you don't mind me barging straight into a thread.

One of my now regulars, first came to me 15months ago with 3 fingers on one of her hands, where the nails were this short. I decided straight away that they needed to be sculpted, and maintained a little more regular.

15 months on this client now only has 1 of the fingers left with this horrific nail length! If you feel confident I would say give it a go and at least try. Its so rewarding to see that you can make such a big difference for this particular type of client.

Nikki

I will promise to post soon to introduce myself. I'm currently trying to read up on recent posts!

the girl i rode to school with gnawed her nails off like that. she was always bugging me to put a set of nails on her and i kept telling her she would have to quit eating her fingers down to the 6th knuckle before i could even attempt to touch them!

the other student thought she would be oh-so-brilliant and put some on her.

they fell off 45 minutes later and took the top (well, what was left of the top layer) of her nails with it. :smack:

thats gross how can people do that to there nails omg
the cuticles are cut & ripped apart no nail bed no way
i wouldnt do them i think i would get sick
sorry but no

I'm no doctor, but these nails look like there's something a bit more going on that just biting. I'd send her to a dermatologist (or possibly a podiatrist, they sometimes work on fingers too) before ever touching her myself.

If the doc okay's it, THEN I'd try a thin, VERY short overlay on her and see her once a week.

I'll bet there's nothing wrong with them, other than being bitten.
All 10 of my father's nails were as bad as the 'worst' nail in that video.
He was a SERIAL biter.... that's where I picked up the habit. (but I was NEVER as bad as that! I didn't want to end up like him)
I have a friend like that too.

They don't feel anything. They've been biting them waaaay too long.
Damaged the nailbed and everything.

Latest posts

Back