yellow, rubbery acrylic?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail-chick

Reaction score
some of my clients came in this week with yellowed, lifting acrylic. when i nip off the major lifts, it doesn't clip. it seems like it's rubbery.
i haven't used anything new. i use Creative l&p retention & scrub fresh.
any ideas?
clients are wondering why they are having a problem in less than two weeks and i just went 3 1/2 weeks, because i had no time to fill them, with no problems.

thanks,
kathleen
My Nails Rock!

it could be for many reasons, but one thing you have put concerns me and that is that you nip off the acrylic, nipping will cause more problems and possible trauma to the natural nail, you would do better to file the lifted area working from behind the lifting. Creative does not usually yellow, could your brush be contaminated.

i done pink and white overlays on my mums nails a few weeks ago and 2 days later they had a yellow tinge to them (although i could not see it when applying the white until 2 days later). I then found out my brush was contaminated so it was contaminating my bead.

It may not even be a cause for what problems you are getting, but its just an idea.

Hi

I do not know the answer but am very interested if someone does.

I use NSI Attraction and just on my one client, hers goes rubbery, sort of soft when I file off lifting??

xx

the reason i nipped of the acrylic is because it's so lifted, it's a waist of filing.
it was much quicker.
never thought of contamin ation!
thanks!
kathleen
My Nails Rock!

It way also be something that your client is using - does she varnish her nails and remove the varnish on a regular basis. Some cleaning products will start to break down the product bonds.

As Jac has said, the clipping will cause more lifting - please read through the tutorials to find better techniques to deal with this so there will be no need for the nippers.

These are a couple of good ones:

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/6244-phil-jaws-destruction.html
http://www.salongeek.com/finishing-maintenance/8573-file-control-part-4-during-rebalance.html

it could be for many reasons, but one thing you have put concerns me and that is that you nip off the acrylic, nipping will cause more problems and possible trauma to the natural nail, you would do better to file the lifted area working from behind the lifting. Creative does not usually yellow, could your brush be contaminated.

If it's only happening on one client, I'd bet it was something she's using. I had one client that had this problem all the time. She would repolish all the time because she got bored. Come to find out, she was using Nail Envy as a top and basecoat...Never use a nail strengthener on acrylic, it plasticizes it, making it lift and making it kind of bendy and stretchy. So check about that. Let her know that any base coat/top coat she uses cannot have strengtheners in it.

I don't know of any other reason why this would happen. Maybe the contaminated brush thing, I don't have experience with that, but it seems that it would be happening to more than one client then, no?

the reason i nipped of the acrylic is because it's so lifted, it's a waist of filing.
it was much quicker.
never thought of contamin ation!
thanks!
kathleen
My Nails Rock!

Filing is the correct way to file the lift without causing undue stress to your enhancements. If you are nipping away the lifting you maybe causing the enhancement to shatter which can be invisible to the eye which may well be what is causing your service breakdown. You may think it is quicker to nip but in the long run it is proving not to be so quick as your clients are returning to you with a service breakdown, eventually this may result in your clients going elswhere.
David

I've seen a rubbery, yellow nail or two in my time. Almost without exception, the client had been cleaning house (or work) without gloves on, and had been using some strong cleaning agents, like bleach or furniture polish. No way nail enhancements are going to be able to stand up to that kind of abuse! Best you can do is educate her. And maybe remind her how much money she's wasting by not taking care of her nails properly! :)

naturalnails,
thanks for the tutorials. they were very helpful.
and the reason i nipped was because the nails i did nip were only held on by a corner. i think it was past the point of filing. it came right off.
thanks,
kathleen
My Nails Rock!

I've seen a rubbery, yellow nail or two in my time. Almost without exception, the client had been cleaning house (or work) without gloves on, and had been using some strong cleaning agents, like bleach or furniture polish. No way nail enhancements are going to be able to stand up to that kind of abuse! Best you can do is educate her. And maybe remind her how much money she's wasting by not taking care of her nails properly! :)

I was going to say this same thing. I have had a few clients in the past that came in with nails like this, and every time it turned out that they were using bleach or paint thinner, or something similar.

I experienced the rubbery nail once on the last finger I was working on - my monomer was contaminated and needed to be changed. Didn't realize it was rubbery until i started filing hee hee

Are you using one brush for 2 different systems/monomers?
Your brush may be contaminated with 2 different monomers, and that can cause yellowing, and the yellow may not show until a few hours later (yep, happened to me!)

Hope this helps :)

i only have one system, but, found the problem (i think!).
they used a nail strengthener thinking it would strengthener their own nails.
but the clients that say they use gloves and never do anything without gloves!
the look on their faces when i say, "wow! using bleach to clean you bathroom again!?
you can't miss the smell of "reconstitued" bleach!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

Latest posts

Back