Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aunty Geeg Can you help??

How can I remove a Quality Street Tin from off my head? I was minding my own business last night typing a few posts on here and all of a sudden "Wham"!! I have no idea how it happened but it looks ridiculous! :eek: :biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol: so funny I'm crying he he x

What would YOU do if someone was ringing you up all week, changing their bookings and had been booked in FOUR different days... but different times.. according to their other messages they had to do today... finally deciding to book you on a day off?

These types of people are just nightmares. If I'm honest I know we are all in business to enjoy it and make some money along the way but they are just a bit much expecting you to jump when they say jump!

I have a similar client. She started using me when she was off work sick for a good few months. She is obviously a total salon lady (I could be the best therapist in the world but if she can get to the salon she would rather do that than have me come to her home). Well I hadn't heard from her in a long time until about six weeks ago. She left messages on both my answerphones and then I phoned her back and she wasn't in. I eventually got through to her and she said .oh it's okay I rang somebody and they came this afternoon, I'll keep you in mind for next time. I felt like saying .get stuffed. She phones on Tuesday, can I come tonight. No I couldn't! I said I had availability Friday, she will get back to me. So she phones tonight at 8.25pm to book for tomorrow. Well sorry but one of my regular ladies wants a load of treatments now so no can do. I said can't fit you in now til Wednesday or Thursday. Oh I'll have wednesday probably, but pencil me in for Thursday as well at 1pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Felt like saying Yeah alright love I'm just waiting for your call. I know times are hard and I am still building up a business but some people have no loyalty!

Sorry long rant and funny laptop which won't do speech marks!!

Hey, I'm a nail technician ... I'm not into the extrication of quality Street tins

Hey, I'm also a woman and have no sympathy for anyone who'd called me a porker! I think you may have deserved the new chapeau!! It'll look very festive over the holidays. Enjoy! :hug:

:eek: :wink2:

Aunty Geeg Can you help??

How can I remove a Quality Street Tin from off my head? I was minding my own business last night typing a few posts on here and all of a sudden "Wham"!! I have no idea how it happened but it looks ridiculous! :eek: :biggrin:

Hey, I'm a nail technician ... I'm not into the extrication of quality Street tins

Hey, I'm also a woman and have no sympathy for anyone who'd called me a porker! I think you may have deserved the new chapeau!! It'll look very festive over the holidays. Enjoy! :hug:

BAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA He got off lucky with a tin on his head. I might have bashed him with my kids aluminum baseball bat LOL

Ok, on another note, unrelated to this humorous post above (for which I thank the OP lol)...

How does one deal with STUPID people?
I have a sign at my table that reads "Allergic to Stupid People" (yes, I really do, I'm not kidding LOL and I get a lot of laughs from clients about it).
But seriously.... how does one cope without throttling them?

Do you have a trick that keeps the steam from coming out of your ears and prevents your face from turning fuschia like this
angry-face.jpg

Because if you have a trick, I need it LOL

BAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA He got off lucky with a tin on his head. I might have bashed him with my kids aluminum baseball bat LOL

Ok, on another note, unrelated to this humorous post above (for which I thank the OP lol)...

How does one deal with STUPID people?
I have a sign at my table that reads "Allergic to Stupid People" (yes, I really do, I'm not kidding LOL and I get a lot of laughs from clients about it).
But seriously.... how does one cope without throttling them?

Do you have a trick that keeps the steam from coming out of your ears and prevents your face from turning fuschia like this
angry-face.jpg

Because if you have a trick, I need it LOL

Oh yes, I would LOVE to know the answer to this one myself. Especially when it comes to clients, I have only ever had a couple but OMG! They drive me insane!!!!!

Geeg,

I think I have made my point at last. I took each receptionist to a private lunch and asked for their "advice" on how to handle this issue saying it was happening at a friend's shop. All promptly suggested ways to better their desk services. After taking each to lunch today, I took all 3 for a happy hour drink and told them how much I value them and how grateful I am for them as my coworkers (So hard to say with a straight face:lol:). We then discussed their suggestions and I gave each a holiday gift, cuticle erase, solar oil, polish and a "gift cert for a month of free shellacs. I explained solar oil in the same manner as a skin cream, Think of your nails as being like the skin on your face. Nails also have pores, solar oil works by entering those pores and preventing dry, peeling skin. All said they had not realized and thought it just "made it shiny."

I wrote a reward based contract offering them services as rewards monthly based on performance as they are VERY competive. I now have 4 new client shellacs on my book. Somedays I LOVE my job.

Thanks!:hug: You wonderful geeks saved my sanity.

Geeg,

I think I have made my point at last. I took each receptionist to a private lunch and asked for their "advice" on how to handle this issue saying it was happening at a friend's shop. All promptly suggested ways to better their desk services. After taking each to lunch today, I took all 3 for a happy hour drink and told them how much I value them and how grateful I am for them as my coworkers (So hard to say with a straight face:lol:). We then discussed their suggestions and I gave each a holiday gift, cuticle erase, solar oil, polish and a "gift cert for a month of free shellacs. I explained solar oil in the same manner as a skin cream, Think of your nails as being like the skin on your face. Nails also have pores, solar oil works by entering those pores and preventing dry, peeling skin. All said they had not realized and thought it just "made it shiny."

I wrote a reward based contract offering them services as rewards monthly based on performance as they are VERY competive. I now have 4 new client shellacs on my book. Somedays I LOVE my job.

Thanks!:hug: You wonderful geeks saved my sanity.

Fantastic and good job you for not hanging about and letting the situation fester and for taking such a positive and proactive approach.

I always think discussion works .... You may have to do something like this on a regular basis. ... Good for moral, good or team building and good education for the girls. I salute you ....... And so should your manager!!

PS. I'll be seeing Catherine soon and will have a tale to tell her won't I? I'll let you know all about it but in the meantime I'm sure she would want me to send you Christmas greetings for the holiday along with my own best wishes for a merry Christmas and a Happy new year. X

Geeg,

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. You should write a book Geeg, I know Id buy it:lol:

Geeg,

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. You should write a book Geeg, I know Id buy it:lol:

I have written one :lol: on the art of nail enhancement called 'nailclass' but funnily enough, a few have suggested I take this Agony Aunt thread and use it as the basis for another one! I'll have to think about that one! Maybe a project for the new year. :). Thanks for the suggestion.

It would be a best seller. My fellow techs are now geeks since seeing this:lol:
Id LOVE to see you featured on behindthechair, modern salon or nail pro. Usa techs need to join salongeek :)

Phew! I have just finished the thread. Thank you for bumping this thread up for a newbie such like me. I find it most interesting and I would love to go to the CND retail course. I like the smile sweetly and treat your clients professionally technique.

Thank you so much Gigi and those who posted questions and scenarios. I am most grateful. I have subscribed to this thread and I sure will come back to read again :)

My question:

Dear Auntie Gigi,

I have just started out a home salon - only have done two bookings so far, should I give out a receipt for every treatment? The type, I could get a receipt booklet from my local stationery shop.

Thank you!
Mona

Phew! I have just finished the thread. Thank you for bumping this thread up for a newbie such like me. I find it most interesting and I would love to go to the CND retail course. I like the smile sweetly and treat your clients professionally technique.

Thank you so much Gigi and those who posted questions and scenarios. I am most grateful. I have subscribed to this thread and I sure will come back to read again :)

My question:

Dear Auntie Gigi,

I have just started out a home salon - only have done two bookings so far, should I give out a receipt for every treatment? The type, I could get a receipt booklet from my local stationery shop.

Thank you!
Mona

If you are doing things right, and it sounds like you are, then the client is entitled to a receipt .. and it also helps you to keep your books straight as well.

I actually think office work is very important. So much easier. It helps you to track monthly figures and retail sales etc and for tax puroses as well of course. So much easier when the 'time' comes to have everything in month order, client receipts, sales receipts, pruchases and utilities .. everything month by month .. when you put it all together it gives you very interesting results and then you can track year by year as well. So my answer is Yes, even if the client doesn't necessarily want it, you and your business need it to function efficiently.

Thank you Gigi, I think this makes sense and I shall do it proper way. I am most grateful for you taking time answering my question.
best wishes, Mona x:hug:

I know this thread was bumped recently, but I think its relevant to the new year and may have been missed during all of the Christmas cheer and rush.

Lots of laughable and entertaining threads on client encounters in 2011, but this thread is about being prepared for those situations and knowing exactly what to do and say to reach a positive outcome and remain professional whist getting there. Very much worth the read for us newbies. Fresh start with our businesses for 2012 xx

Hi Geeg, I'm the youngest out of the other 2 therapists I work with.

They both have about 8 years of experience but really irritates me when they do acrylics as they slap monomer all over the skin etc, yet get problem free nails when the client comes back 2 weeks later.
When they shellac they buff the natural nail with a white block and it just goes through me for some reason lol...
One of them was shocked when I said you can reapply product over a greenie if It's sanitized!

Being the youngest I feel like I can't say anything, even though my training is more up to date, any advice? X

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Wow what a brilliant thread taken me forever to read through it but so worth it :)

Hi Geeg, I'm the youngest out of the other 2 therapists I work with.

They both have about 8 years of experience but really irritates me when they do acrylics as they slap monomer all over the skin etc, yet get problem free nails when the client comes back 2 weeks later.
When they shellac they buff the natural nail with a white block and it just goes through me for some reason lol...
One of them was shocked when I said you can reapply product over a greenie if It's sanitized!

Being the youngest I feel like I can't say anything, even though my training is more up to date, any advice? X

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

The best adice I can give to you, is to stick to the standards that you know are safe and right and ignor what others do. What others do is not your concern. What you do is your concern.

Keep up with regular education and become the expert.

We all know that doing things the harsh way works in terms of product adhering.
But doing things the ethical way also works and will make you respected by both colleagues and clients alike.

BUMPING THIS THREAD :)

This was a brilliant thread packed full of usual information & need reviving as some of you are detailing problems with customers demanding refunds :)

Some really great advice on here and very useful tips for a newbie, thank you.

Wow glad I came across this thread :) thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back