Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread...I can foresee a weekly column or a book here:)
I'm particularly liking the bit where you smile sweetly while you give clients the answer..much better than getting all worked up about things.
I have my serial cuticle cutting (doesn't just cut cuticle) client again this week:mad: and will use this attitude when I tell her if she continues I'm not doing her nails again. Just need to think of the correct way to word what I will say.....

Thankyou Geeg,by sheer luck the client rang back this afternoon to re book,as shes completely relaxed and tells me her husband is waiting on her hand and foot...LOL

Great advice on the small"saving" to reccommend to clientele.:lol:

Dear geeg, some fabulous advice here, really great, hope it's OK to add my little dilemma...

I have been working from home for just over 2 years and I have never had a policy regarding booking fees or cancellation charges or no show charges, and I have often thought I couldn't possibly introduce anything like this, and MOST of my ladies are great, but I have one client who is starting to really annoy me-

Without exaggeration she cancels over 50% of her appointments, usually with less than 24 hrs notice, sometimes with an hours notice, once she was a complete no show. She never pretends to be sick or visiting someone in hospital or will get the sack if she doesn't work late, normally she either doesn't offer any reason at all, or just says, 'something's come up' or 'I'm going away for a long weekend.'
It has started to seriously annoy me and unfortunately she is half way through a course of treatments but I'm thinking about telling her, when the course comes to an end, that she must give me at least 24 hours notice of a cancellation in future, or forfeit a treatment from the course OR find herself another therapist.
The truth is, I am sometimes pleased / grateful when a client cancels because I can always find something to do with the time, but with this girl it's become more a matter of principle, as I feel so disrespected by her.

What shall I do???

I was just thinking this myself, lol. This is a great thread.

Geeg, this is great - I have two questions?

1. On the cancellation thing - I have never charged a cancellation charge for no shows or less than 24 hrs notice - mainly because if they are no shows it would be impossible to collect LOL and secondly what if I had to cancel an appointment due to unforeseen circumstances. This is probably the dilemma I find the hardest - it is just so annoying especially when people just dont turn up.

OK no. 2 - I had a call from a local salon last Saturday morning - they said that they had a bride booked in that afternoon and their nail tech was sick - could I fit the lady in. I said yes I could. The lady called and asked if I could also do her 2 daughters nails - yes I said but you need to come earlier than 4.

I did the first one and as they were paying separately, I said that will be £35 - they all gasped and said oh no, we were told it would be £27. They did not look too pleased. I then said that the salon should have told them what my price was and I then pointed out that the salon has two prices - technician £27 and senior technician £30. I said I would do them for £30 since I had 3 of them.

Should it have been up to the salon to mention my price or should I have done it myself? BTW one of them had the worst bitten nails I have ever seen, so I certainly worked for my money that day LOL.

I have been working from home for just over 2 years and I have never had a policy regarding booking fees or cancellation charges or no show charges, and I have often thought I couldn't possibly introduce anything like this, and MOST of my ladies are great, but I have one client who is starting to really annoy me-

Without exaggeration she cancels over 50% of her appointments, usually with less than 24 hrs notice, sometimes with an hours notice, once she was a complete no show. She never pretends to be sick or visiting someone in hospital or will get the sack if she doesn't work late, normally she either doesn't offer any reason at all, or just says, 'something has come up' or 'I'm going away for a long weekend.'
It has started to seriously annoy me and unfortunately she is half way through a course of treatments but I'm thinking about telling her, when the course comes to an end, that she must give me at least 24 hours notice of a cancellation in future, or forfeit a treatment from the course OR find herself another therapist.
The truth is, I am sometimes pleased / grateful when a client cancels because I can always find something to do with the time, but with this girl it's become more a matter of principle, as I feel so disrespected by her.

What shall I do???

A person like this is disrespecting you and your time and you are enabling her to do so by saying nothing. I would not wait until the end of her treatment to say something. I would tell her immediately that as she has repeatedly and without explanation cancelled or not shown up for her appointments (and show her the record card which will most likely amaze her that she has done it so many times) that the next time it happens she will forfeit one of the treatments already paid for (?). I hope they are pre-paid so you won't loose out. I think I would say something like:

"Mrs X, I must speak to you seriously about the number of appointments you have cancelled at short notice. Some you have not even let me know that you were not coming. I'm a reasonable person and I understand that clients sometimes have to cancel appointments, but my time is valuable and if you cannot attend an appointment please let me know beforehand with as much time as possible so that I can make other arrangements. It doesn't 'put me out' if I know in good time that you wont attend, but to say nothing to me or to cancel at short notice just leaves me hanging and I could make better use of my time. In future, I am going to have to be compensated for my time by either a payment for the missed appointment or you will have to forfeit one of your pre-paid treatments."

So ... You have been reasonable, polite and business-like and once again, said calmly and politely, no one but the most arrogant and rude of people would come back at you for saying it. Not if you do it right. You have also subtly implied that although you are a reasonable person, she would not be being reasonable if she didn't agree with you. Never raise your voice (even if they do). If she comes back at you, then just calmly say, "I'm sorry you feel that way. I thought you would have more respect for my time and that this business is how I make my living. I'm sure you would not want someone to do the same to you if it were your business."

Hope this helps. Don't wait. Do it at the next appointment or if she fails to show, then write it down in a note to her and send it. Sometimes this is a good way if you think someone is going to be confrontational with you.

1. On the cancellation thing - I have never charged a cancellation charge for no shows or less than 24 hrs notice - mainly because if they are no shows it would be impossible to collect LOL and secondly what if I had to cancel an appointment due to unforeseen circumstances. This is probably the dilemma I find the hardest - it is just so annoying especially when people just dont turn up.

OK no. 2 - I had a call from a local salon last Saturday morning - they said that they had a bride booked in that afternoon and their nail tech was sick - could I fit the lady in. I said yes I could. The lady called and asked if I could also do her 2 daughters nails - yes I said but you need to come earlier than 4.

I did the first one and as they were paying separately, I said that will be £35 - they all gasped and said oh no, we were told it would be £27. They did not look too pleased. I then said that the salon should have told them what my price was and I then pointed out that the salon has two prices - technician £27 and senior technician £30. I said I would do them for £30 since I had 3 of them.

Should it have been up to the salon to mention my price or should I have done it myself? BTW one of them had the worst bitten nails I have ever seen, so I certainly worked for my money that day LOL.

On the first question, if you had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances (and it happens) then I know you would let the clients know with as much time as possible and offer them an immediate alternative booking (which clients do not always do). Yes, it is impossible to collect from a 'no show' if they never show again but you must keep a record on the card in case they do and then remind them of your 'no show' fee before you start the treatment if they return to the salon. Then everyone knows where they stand. the thing is, if they don't like it then they are being unreasonable and would only do it again at a later date. For the most part, if done professionally, clients will understand your point of view. But if you do not make your position plain, they will abuse you ... be clear about things and usually they respect it and don't do it again. the fact that some never return shows that they know they are in the wrong and are embarrassed by it.

Question 2 ...I think you did the absolutely right thing to compromise but YES the salon certainly should have told them your price was different to theirs or asked you to do the clients at their price and paid you the difference. Why aren't people more professional???????? Grrrr.:irked:

Geeg can we do a personal life Agony Aunt section in Chit Chat too :lol:

Geeg can we do a personal life Agony Aunt section in Chit Chat too :lol:
Perhaps sometime if arranged, but I will be going out soon for the evening (with sassy hassy and husband) so won't bearound until tomorrow. But keep the scenarios coming .. anything that will help someone else to learn what to do when caught on the hop!! :lol:

Perhaps sometime if arranged, but I will be going out soon for the evening (with sassy hassy and husband) so won't bearound until tomorrow. But keep the scenarios coming .. anything that will help someone else to learn what to do when caught on the hop!! :lol:

Brilliant... thanks Geeg :)

Enjoy your evening!

I'm particularly liking the bit where you smile sweetly while you give clients the answer..much better than getting all worked up about things.

I have my serial cuticle cutting (doesn't just cut cuticle) client again this week:mad: and will use this attitude when I tell her if she continues I'm not doing her nails again. Just need to think of the correct way to word what I will say.....

When you smile sweetly and remain calm, it is very VERY difficult for someone to come back at you. But retaliate with anger and a raised voice and you are doomed ... nothing useful will ever be accomplished that way. Think calm thoughts geeks and don't get riled. So often today we are taught to be aggressive (they call it assertive but that is not right because they teach aggressive!!) and that being this way will get you results. Well it does get results, but seldom the kind you are looking for. Remember my post form long ago, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" ??? Revisit that thread if you haven't read it ... it turned out to be a really good one.

As to your 2nd paragraph, I would say, "If you respect me as a professional, I feel obliged to tell you that if you continue to (do whatever she is doing) against my advice, I can no longer take the risk of doing your nails." (then offer her an alternative) "But if you use (say Solar Oil :lol:) on a daily basis, you will see within 2 weeks that your cuticles will shrink back tight to the nail plate and you will no longer have any reason to cut your cuticles to make them look tidy."
If you can solve this problem for her by offering her a solution, you will have a convert for life.

Thank you for your help. I am definitely going to follow your advice :)

Geeg's approach works wonders, really knocks the wind out of the sails when a client is spoiling for a confrontation and possibly a free or discounted service since they know they are right and will make sure everyone knows just how right they are. When you are pleansant and non combative it usually throws them off and they are unsure how to keep themselves angry with out making a total fool of themselves.

A smile, pleasant tone and genuine understanding or sympahty depending on the situation, usually will correct even the most awful of encounters. (even when they swear or call you names- don't loose your cool- redirect the situation and offer plausible solutions)

Brilliant thread thanks:hug:

don't pick up the damn business phone at any other time. Clients can leave messages. You should have ONE LINE OR MOBILE for business purposes only or have all your clients' numbers so you just don't pick up out of hours and they can leave a message. If you let them use your personal cell phone then you are asking for out of hours calls.

fab advice Gigi thankyou ,
I would give you a million rep's , or a big thankyou hug , if I was able to lol
every post I have read I have been nodding along to :green:

I have a question ...

How do you reeeally persuade a client with short nail beds, to NOT have long free edges,
some of them just will not be advised,
I have come accross this myself, quite a few times, and was embarrassed at the fact I let them go away with nails that long, and that they would be telling people it was me who did them !!!

I tried the nicey nicey approach and always failed, I tried the custom blend approach, and showed before and after pictures, ...and still failed, (mostly to do with CBM being a higher price)and I know from the threads, this is quite a common occurance !

So what would be the best way, to change their minds, or really sell CBM ?

Thankyou Gigi , (hope you are all having a lovely night xx)

I tried the nicey nicey approach and always failed, I tried the custom blend approach, and showed before and after pictures, ...and still failed, (mostly to do with CBM being a higher price)and I know from the threads, this is quite a common occurance !

So what would be the best way, to change their minds, or really sell CBM ?

I don't charge more for CBM - it doesn't take me any longer or change the way I constuct the nail, so I just use my opaque mix for zone 2 instead of my perfect pink but I always use perfect pink for zone 3 cos I think it looks more natural....

So, I sell it purely on the visual aspect (although I have one regular in particular who has longer white than pink and when I did extend her nail beds asked me not to again cos she doesn't like it......:rolleyes:). At the end of the day, you can minimise the amount of free endge (within reason), but if the client is paying the client chooses..... Even when they're wrong!!

I'm sure others will do it differently, but that's what I do.....:hug: hth's

I have a question ...

How do you reeeally persuade a client with short nail beds, to NOT have long free edges,
some of them just will not be advised,
I have come across this myself, quite a few times, and was embarrassed at the fact I let them go away with nails that long, and that they would be telling people it was me who did them!

All you can do with any client is to make suggestions, give them your reasoning behind those suggestions and maybe show examples of 'good nails' 'bad nails' in the form of photos or nails done on colour pops that will show them what maybe would be a prettier look for their nails.

At the end of the day, some clients have their own fixed ideas in their heads of what they want and if they want it .. you do it. It really doesn't matter if you personally do not find their ideas pleasing and I doubt the whole world is going to find out that YOU did them and make a judgement never to darken your door!!

Many nail technicians don't know how to make a pretty nail enhancement and it's for sure most clients do not know ... they only know what they see and what they see is often what you have described (unbalanced ugly, to us anyway, nails).

It is often easier to persuade a client to your way of thinking over a period of time spent with you rather than on the first visit. It takes time to build trust with your clients; so softly softly and you will get your way in the end but maybe not the first time!

this is brilliant, things that had been niggling me seem to have niggled other people and gigi has answered alot of things that i needed help with :hug::hug:

I doubt the whole world is going to find out that YOU did them and make a judgement never to darken your door!!
good point hun x

... they only know what they see and what they see is often what you have described (unbalanced ugly, to us anyway, nails).
yup, horrible to me , but they are always made up , this just reminded me of the first set of nails I did on myself they were tanya turner , and I loved them lol

It is often easier to persuade a client to your way of thinking over a period of time spent with you rather than on the first visit. It takes time to build trust with your clients; so softly softly and you will get your way in the end but maybe not the first time!
xxxxxx thankyou Gigi xxxxxxx

What if you have the situation where the client brings in some of her own products for you to use and then asks you if you will discount the price of the service for her??
Some of us have been faced with this question and many just cave in and say, "OK I'll do your nails for x amount less?" Usually your discount is FAR more than the cost of any product the client supplies.

If this ever happens to you, don't cave in so quickly. Explain that although a small amount is included in your service price for the products, it is really your time that the client is paying for. The cost of the product is so minute compared to the time that what you would really knock off the price would be silly even if you could accurately calculate it, which you can't. This answer usually makes the client think differently about things.

Latest posts

Back