Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a lot of problems with people not turning up or cancelling at the last minute. I also think that a lot of those at one point were from another salon sending people in to fill my appointment book so that I was turning away genuine clients. It got to a point where I was having 2 or 3 no shows one after the other on some days. Very frustrating. Now I take a £5 deposit on ALL appointments. If a client doesn't show or gives me less than 24 hours notice to cancel (depending on the situation of course & I am more flexible with regulars) then they lose their deposit. I was worried that it would put clients off and I have had a few people who don't like it but the majority understand and are happy to pay it. It did take a while to kick in properly but I now have deposits for every appointment and it is very rare that people don't show. It has actually been a big success for my business. I did consider a policy of charging people for no shows at their next appointment but I found that most clients who missed appointments just didn't come back so I'd never get the money back that I lost. This way, if they don't turn up, I just keep the deposit to cover my time. So far I haven't had any complaints about this but I've only ever done it a couple of times. I still have the odd client who phones a few times to change appointments but they do it with plenty of notice now so it doesn't put me out.

I'd say the success of taking deposits depends a lot on your salon situation & your clients. It will only work if your clients are willing to leave a deposit but I figured that as I was losing too much money by not taking them, it was worth a try. I make sure that I display a sign next to my nail station, it is mentioned in my price list & clients are given a piece of paper when they book thanking them for booking and explaining the deposit & cancellation policy. It works fine for me and my clients are happy. I don't know of any other salons in my area who take deposits though.

I'm confused!!
First you say you take deposits on ALL appointments and that it has been a big success for your business, then you later say you have only done it a couple of times.
Also I do not consider 5.00 any compensation at all for a missed appointment as I would make 10 times that much for the treatment!! If you think it is working for you then fine, but I would never pay a deposit especially if it meant I'd have to ring the salon for an appointment and then go to pay the deposit.
In any case if it works for you then that is fine but I think it is awkward and in any case, does not compensate you adequately for the missed appointment.

me again...:lol: (taking full advantage of this thread i am)

i would like a bit of help please in wording what i should be saying to clients that i feel are pushing there nails to the max...they say its a money thing...

most are great and come every 2-3 weeks....but i have some who come after 4-5 weeks ... i charge £25 for a new NNO and £25 for infills at 2-3 weeks.....i charge £30 for the 4-5 weekers...but some of them really cant go 4-5 weeks...there nails are not in great shape by the time they get to me and i think they would benefit from having nicer nails all the time instead of nice nails for 3 weeks and not so nice for the next 2 weeks........but all i get is..."ohh no there is no way i could afford to come every 2-3 weeks"

what can i do/say to convince them ... many thanks x

You need another phrase rather than saying, "Oh, don't worry!" !!!

That phrase is (pointing to your price list) "xxx pounds please!!"

You only have to do it once hunny and she will get the idea OR she won't come back. If it is only the one person then this is not a bad situation. As I said above, they must now respect your training and experience and pay the going rate. I know it is now at the awkward stage because you have let it go on for so long. But it only needs to be awkward one more time as you et her know that the price is the same for all clients.

You're right.... thing is she KNOWS my prices.... the question "how much?" translated really means "how much are you gonna charge ME?" or "I don't really need to pay as I'm a mate". She does say "you work it out and let me know!" I hate to be put on the spot. Okay, she wants a tan, her toe nails forever frenched and french overlay on nails..... I will hit her with the full price and I will then get back to you on the result!:irked:

me again...:lol: (taking full advantage of this thread i am)

i would like a bit of help please in wording what i should be saying to clients that i feel are pushing there nails to the max...they say its a money thing...

most are great and come every 2-3 weeks....but i have some who come after 4-5 weeks ... i charge £25 for a new NNO and £25 for infills at 2-3 weeks.....i charge £30 for the 4-5 weekers...but some of them really cant go 4-5 weeks...there nails are not in great shape by the time they get to me and i think they would benefit from having nicer nails all the time instead of nice nails for 3 weeks and not so nice for the next 2 weeks........but all i get is..."ohh no there is no way i could afford to come every 2-3 weeks"

what can i do/say to convince them ... many thanks x

If you keep good client records, then you can SHOW them that it is costing them more in the long run to let their nails get into a 'state' ... THAT is assuming of course that you are charging them for the extra work and repairs.

If you are letting them off full payment then it will be cheaper for them to come every 4-5 weeks!! It has to hit clients where it hurts (in their pocket) before they realise your advice is correct. THEN they can't afford NOT to take your advice.

Clients love to blackmail the technician by saying, "I couldn't afford to come that often." But if they love their nails they will and it helps to prove it to them on paper that it is less expensive to come more often and have no repairs and fast appointments than to 'push it' and pay for all the extras ... so don't give all the extras away when they push the limit.

You're right.... thing is she KNOWS my prices.... the question "how much?" translated really means "how much are you gonna charge ME?" or "I don't really need to pay as I'm a mate". She does say "you work it out and let me know!" I hate to be put on the spot. Okay, she wants a tan, her toe nails forever frenched and french overlay on nails..... I will hit her with the full price and I will then get back to you on the result!:irked:

Preparation prevents problems IOW be prepared for her with the price ready in your mind and just come out with it.

If she acts startled DO NOT SAY, "I'm sorry but I have to charge full price now." You are NOT sorry and that is how it is going to be from now on. Say something like, "I'm running a business now, Mandy (or whatever her name is) and these are my published prices for everyone."

Don't explain about your time or anything else, that is just waffling. Just say it like it is (with that sweet smile). If she gets stroppy then say you're sorry SHE feels that way but this is the way you intend to run your business from now on. Tell her you value her friendship and whatever she decides will be fine with you and that you hope she values yours in return by being the same as everyone else.

I was doing some nails on a young girl for a prom and her dad was in. She was having a full set of nails done and when I finished her dad said 'so, how much do you want for these?' 'how much is that then?' would have been a better way of asking.

I just felt unprepared for this - and embarrasingly told him how much - it suddenly sounded expensive - a bloke never understands why a woman would spend so much on a set of nails!!!

What would have been the best way to have answered? Why is it when dealing with a man that you feel under scrutiny? Or is just me?

Thanks geeg....i allow for 2 repairs at the time of rebalanced and charge £4 per repair after that...its never usually more than 2 that actually need repairing other than just badly in need of a rebalance, so thats still £30....do you think i should scrap the 2 free repairs at the time of rebalance...?...these clients never come between appointments for repairs...(otherwise i would charge them £4 per nail)....they just wait till there next appointment.

Yet most of my other clients wouldn't dream of walking round with a broken nail and come straight in to have it fixed .... funny how clients can be so different isn't it..:lol: x

I was doing some nails on a young girl for a prom and her dad was in. She was having a full set of nails done and when I finished her dad said 'so, how much do you want for these?' 'how much is that then?' would have been a better way of asking.

I just felt unprepared for this - and embarrasingly told him how much - it suddenly sounded expensive - a bloke never understands why a woman would spend so much on a set of nails!!!

What would have been the best way to have answered? Why is it when dealing with a man that you feel under scrutiny? Or is just me?

I just felt unprepared for this - and embarrasingly told him how much - it suddenly sounded expensive - a bloke never understands why a woman would spend so much on a set of nails

The problem is right here with YOU and nothing to do with what he said or how he phrased it. YOU assumed what he was thinking and he may not have been thinking it at all. YOU were embarrassed and had no need to be.

The best way to have answered was. €60 please!! If he then made a comment I would have just said (smiling) "We girls are high maintenance you know." :)

If you are embarrassed about your prices, then it is because YOU think they are too high not him. Many women like you who are unused to business react this way. Don't. You worked for your money and did a good job, now learn to accept payment graciously and not squirm about taking it.

Thanks geeg....i allow for 2 repairs at the time of rebalanced and charge £4 per repair after that...its never usually more than 2 that actually need repairing other than just badly in need of a rebalance, so thats still £30....do you think i should scrap the 2 free repairs at the time of rebalance...?...these clients never come between appointments for repairs...(otherwise i would charge them £4 per nail)....they just wait till there next appointment.

Yet most of my other clients wouldn't dream of walking round with a broken nail and come straight in to have it fixed .... funny how clients can be so different isn't it..:lol: x

If a rebalance is later than 3 weeks maximum, I would not include any free repairs!! NONE. No wonder they're leaving it that late ... they don't get penalised!! :lol:

Seriously ... don't be guaranteeing nails after 3 weeks max. After that all repairs should be paid for in full. Those darned freebies again!!!

It is ME with the prob, just hate to deal with blokes. Women dont give you sideward glances at the price - men do, they sigh when they hand over the cash!!!

Cheers Geeg...your a star!!

If a rebalance is later than 3 weeks maximum, I would not include any free repairs!! NONE. No wonder they're leaving it that late ... they don't get penalised!! :lol:

Seriously ... don't be guaranteeing nails after 3 weeks max. After that all repairs should be paid for in full. Those darned freebies again!!!

fantastic !!!....those repairs are now earning me an extra £8...:)

i never thought of it like that before...i just thought 2 repairs included in the rebalance cost sounds fair....but yes you are right...after 3 weeks its not fair its over genourous....Doh !!!....thanks again :hug:

Dear Aunty Geeg.

I have recently taken on my new Germaine de Capuccini skin care range and have decided to invest a substancial amount (alot to me anyhow) in retail home care products. However, what concerns me is that I am not going to be able to persuade the clients that they also need to buy some of the home care products as well as having the in salon facial treatments, without coming across with the hard sell attitude.

I am convinced that the products are fabulous, but they are obviously more expensive than the OTC the clients tend to use, so just dont know how to go about selling them without totally pi**ing the clients off.

Dear Aunty Geeg.

I have recently taken on my new Germaine de Capuccini skin care range and have decided to invest a substancial amount (alot to me anyhow) in retail home care products. However, what concerns me is that I am not going to be able to persuade the clients that they also need to buy some of the home care products as well as having the in salon facial treatments, without coming across with the hard sell attitude.

I am convinced that the products are fabulous, but they are obviously more expensive than the OTC the clients tend to use, so just dont know how to go about selling them without totally pi**ing the clients off.

A few words of advice. If you are passionate about these products then that enthusiasm will come across to the clients as you use them. So enthuse away and tell them as you are using them (at the right point) what they are doing and HOW it will benefit THEM. Then leave it. Maybe give them some experiences you have had.

When they are ready to pay you, have one or two of the products (the ones that they have oohed and ahaad about) on the counter or ready to show them and have them priced (people hate asking the price so have it clearly displayed). Tell them what you have used and why .. maybe put the bottle in their hand while you are talking ... and then leave it. If a client wants to purchase then she will. You don't have to ask for the sale or push the sale.

What you do have to do is know all about your products and the features an benefits of each so that when your clients ask you you can answer knowledgeably.

A few words of advice. If you are passionate about these products then that enthusiasm will come across to the clients as you use them. So enthuse away and tell them as you are using them (at the right point) what they are doing and HOW it will benefit THEM. Then leave it. Maybe give them some experiences you have had.

When they are ready to pay you, have one or two of the products (the ones that they have oohed and ahaad about) on the counter or ready to show them and have them priced (people hate asking the price so have it clearly displayed). Tell them what you have used and why .. maybe put the bottle in their hand while you are talking ... and then leave it. If a client wants to purchase then she will. You don't have to ask for the sale or push the sale.

Thanks Geeg.

Will give your advice a go!

In any case if it works for you then that is fine but I think it is awkward and in any case, does not compensate you adequately for the missed appointment.

What i find with deposits, is that it may not be anywhere near the nmoney you would make from treatment, but its enough to make the client think twice about not turning up!!

For me its more to act as a 'no show deterrent', than to compensate my money lost. and even then, its better than nothing!

unfortunately i work in an area where everyone is so half soaked, the think nothing of booking an app and not turning up! :(

What about the clients who come to you with for a rebalance and have maybe two or even three breakages for you to repair?

You are on a time limit with another client due in an hour and they sit down and proceed (as if you have all the time in the world) to start telling you the 'history' of each breakage.

"Well, this one I broke while I was getting the washing out of the machine. I had a pretty heavy load in there and I pulled ........ etc." "And this one happened when I was getting something out of the freezer! A bag of chips was stuck to the side and when I pulled .......... etc." :)

As they are explaining these 'interesting' tales, they are not giving you their hands but pointing to each individual digit like 'this little piggy went to market'!!

I used to say, as I grabbed hold of a hand, "I'm here to fix 'em, love, not to hear the story of their lives!!!" (of course with a smile on my face) :green:

What about the clients who come to you with for a rebalance and have maybe two or even three breakages for you to repair?

You are on a time limit with another client due in an hour and they sit down and proceed (as if you have all the time in the world) to start telling you the 'history' of each breakage.

"Well, this one I broke while I was getting the washing out of the machine. I had a pretty heavy load in there and I pulled ........ etc." "And this one happened when I was getting something out of the freezer! A bag of chips was stuck to the side and when I pulled .......... etc." :)

As they are explaining these 'interesting' tales, they are not giving you their hands but pointing to each individual digit like 'this little piggy went to market'!!

I used to say, as I grabbed hold of a hand, "I'm here to fix 'em, love, not to hear the story of their lives!!!" (of course with a smile on my face) :green:

i prefer the lifestory of the breakages to 'they just fell off' xx

pmsl! :lol:

THIS IS AN AWESOME THREAD & IDEA:!: Thanks!! When I have 10minutes later, I'll read through the whole thing!

Ok... here goes,

Dear Auntie Geeg, (lol :lol:)
I have a new client that was referred to me via a LONNNNNNNNNNNG time friend (since highschool). This client is also an old classmate, but we were never 'close'. Just acquaintances, more like. She is a biter who is reforming and doing wonderfully! I'm so pleased for her.
She is a single mother, working 2 different jobs.

She has had 4 appointments with me so far. And for each and everyone, she has had to call and reschedule. She has done it within 48hrs... so she didn't leave me completely hanging
BUT I am more busy now and squeezed for time. It's not convenient to keep rebooking her. She knows what my schedule is like and how busy I am as she sees the agenda when I rebook her, and we keep winding up booking her a week later as there are no openings.

Sometimes, I am able to fill her newly vacant space, and sometimes I can't. Some people would take her time slots if they had more than 48hrs notice - they lead busy lives too, and can't drop everything

I don't know if this is going to be a trend with her, or if it's due to her sudden changes in life (her newly acquired 2nd job).

Am I right to be frustrated with the constant changing of appointment? Or should I just buck it up and say "well, she did notify me within 48hrs"? I'm more annoyed because she prefers the saturday slot and on that day, I have to hire a sitter. So... I don't like paying for a sitter I dont need, or telling them I dont need them 'as long' (when I have other appointments). She (the sitter) schedules her day according to mine as well.

thanks!

PS: she has a 7yr old daughter. She keeps asking/suggesting she bring her for an evening appointment. I keep explaining that my hubby is tired, and has a hard enough time being patient watching our own children after a long day. I can't ask him to babysit someone else's child. I also explain that I won't work with my own children in the room, interupting. It makes me crazy, and I can't do it with someone else's either. but she keeps asking :-(

Latest posts

Back