Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Victoria, it sounds like it already is a trend for this client to reschedule -- at least she seems to have the courtesy of doing it within 48 hours, but if 48 hours is not proving enough notice for you then you will have to tell all your clients you want more time than this. I doubt you will get it though from any of them. 2 days should give you enough lead time to ring any clients who are waiting to get in with you. Ii would be a miracle if one cancelled and another just happened to ring up wanting that space (although it does happen). Nothing is perfect and I think 48 hours is enough time but if her 'trend' is really putting you out then you will have to get tough and tell her that you want a non-refundable deposit when she books to cover any cancellation she may make and that her actions are loosing you business time that you cannot replace.

As for the child!!! We all spend too much time with explanations!! You telling her all about your husband being tired etc .... there is no need and clients do not want to know really, they are not interested in your explanations and all the explanations in the world wont make them understand your point of view. Just tell her you do not allow children at nail appointments PERIOD. No discussion, No explanations ... THAT is your policy ... end of.

Victoria, it sounds like it already is a trend for this client to reschedule -- at least she seems to have the courtesy of doing it within 48 hours, but if 48 hours is not proving enough notice for you then you will have to tell all your clients you want more time than this. I doubt you will get it though from any of them. 2 days should give you enough lead time to ring any clients who are waiting to get in with you. Ii would be a miracle if one cancelled and another just happened to ring up wanting that space (although it does happen). Nothing is perfect and I think 48 hours is enough time but if her 'trend' is really putting you out then you will have to get tough and tell her that you want a non-refundable deposit when she books to cover any cancellation she may make and that her actions are loosing you business time that you cannot replace.

As for the child!!! We all spend too much time with explanations!! You telling her all about your husband being tired etc .... there is no need and clients do not want to know really, they are not interested in your explanations and all the explanations in the world wont make them understand your point of view. Just tell her you do not allow children at nail appointments PERIOD. No discussion, No explanations ... THAT is your policy ... end of.

I guess after a while I get to know my clients well. Those that are regular and never muck you around and rarely change an appointment and those that you just know will probably change it often, or cancel last minute. So for the latter if I had someone who wants their slot I will say just exactly that; the person who is currently booked is highly likely to cancel so let me put you on standy and I´ll give you a call if the slot becomes free ... or the person who has booked this slot is a true regular and is very unlikely to cancel, but i can still put you on standy by if you wish. it has always worked well for me and I hope maybe it can for you too.

No, we're really not "friends". I don't see her outside of business, and she doesn't hear about my personal stuff, other than hubby being tired. Yes, I thought 48hrs was enough too and with other clients, I don't get anoyed (but they don't make habits of it). I guess I just get annoyed cause she does it EVERY TIME so far.
You're right re: too much time explaining. In the beginning, I did as you said. And it seems she brings it up at every appointment with "my child is so well behaved blah blah".
As you said, I should get tougher and not bother explaining, just leave it at "I do NOT allow children period" .

Why do we always feel guilty when we say "No"? Why do we feel we need to justify our reasons/rules?

I'll follow what you said, and if her current "trend" proves to be a long-term habit, I'll have to ask for a deposit. I can't take walk-ins, and so by appointment only, I do lose out. I've already lost a few because I couldn't fit them in soon enough to suit them. On one occasion, it was one of her appointments that I could have given..... HAD I KNOWN:irked:

You're right. I need to toughen up and yes, I do honestly think 48hrs is plenty in most cases.

Why do we always feel guilty when we say "No"? Why do we feel we need to justify our reasons/rules?

Because we're WOMEN!!! :hug:

Client booked in for rebalance and gel toes...no shows....been a client for a few months, does have form for being a bit of a messer....phone her up....no answer, leave a message asking if she is coming in as if she can't make it I have others whom I can bring forward...calls me back....forgot to put it in her diary.....thankfully I did have clients I could bring forward.

She had another appointment booked for 3 weeks after said appointment....I rubbed it out.

A day before she had the second appointment, which I had rubbed out, she calls me from Turkey asking if she has an appointment tomorrow....I say no.....knowing that I had rubbed it out....hey she must have forgotten to put it in her diary along with the previous appointment...all booked at the same time.....so what do I do.....fit her in later in the day.....finishing late and getting Craig to pick the kids up from after school club, which I normally do on a Friday.

So now she's in for a full set rather than a rebalance....I charge her as such but nothing extra for the no show....she didn't rebook for her rebalance as in her words, I might forget again....I'll call you, which she will.....and if I'm booked up I'll no doubt fit her in again.....

OK so I managed to finish early that night and bring some clients forward on the first appointment and made a few extra quid the second appointment.....but what could I have done differently?

Should I have charged her extra for the no show?

I'm confused!!
First you say you take deposits on ALL appointments and that it has been a big success for your business, then you later say you have only done it a couple of times.
Also I do not consider 5.00 any compensation at all for a missed appointment as I would make 10 times that much for the treatment!! If you think it is working for you then fine, but I would never pay a deposit especially if it meant I'd have to ring the salon for an appointment and then go to pay the deposit.
In any case if it works for you then that is fine but I think it is awkward and in any case, does not compensate you adequately for the missed appointment.

I meant that I have only KEPT the deposit a couple of times, it was not a contradiction. I do take deposits on all appointments. The main reason is not to cover my time, as I am well aware that £5 is less than my hourly rate of pay, but to make sure that clients turn up. £5 isn't a lot to me compared to the price of a full set of nails but to most people it is a lot of money to lose for just not turning up. It combats the lazy clients who don't appreciate your time and can't be bothered letting you know they've changed their minds. Now I know I'm getting clients who are serious about keeping their appointments, they won't hand over £5 if they aren't sure they will turn up.

I now find that clients either turn up or phone me before their appointment to change their time. This way the client doens't lose their deposit and I either get that client's business or I have time to book in somebody else and get their business instead. It is very rare that clients simply fail to show up without cancelling, this is what I mean about it being a success for me. I get booked solid back to back and don't have to worry about people not turning up. I don't get anywhere near the number of no shows I used to get.

I've been taking deposits now for about 2 years and it is working well. As I said, its down to your salon & your customers, it won't work for everyone but it does for me.

Edit: just reading this and realised it sounds like I'm arguing. I don't mean to argue, just trying to explain! I do appreciate what you are saying Geeg, I'm just adding my experience.

I feel silly asking this but....obviously I'm new to the nail world. I'm fully qualified by OPI and Creative for L&P and I'm also a licensed manicurist here as I passed my state exams last month.

Most of my clients while in school were older retired seniors that genuinely cannot afford the typical salon fees for manicures and pedicures--none ever asked for enhancements. I loved my clients but when I figured out my product costs with the products that I feel are the best quality, it seems there is no way for them to meet and for me to be profitable. I've had several of them call me and I've been avoiding calling them back because I guess I'm embarassed somehow that taking product costs into consideration it's out of their league. The part that gives me agony is that I really enjoyed working with them but at the same time, I did my training and passed my courses so I could put my kids through school.

What I'm wondering is would it be unprofessional to have a senior price menu? Or would that open up a whole can of worms to deal with in the future?

S

I meant that I have only KEPT the deposit a couple of times, it was not a contradiction. I do take deposits on all appointments. The main reason is not to cover my time, as I am well aware that £5 is less than my hourly rate of pay, but to make sure that clients turn up. £5 isn't a lot to me compared to the price of a full set of nails but to most people it is a lot of money to lose for just not turning up. It combats the lazy clients who don't appreciate your time and can't be bothered letting you know they've changed their minds. Now I know I'm getting clients who are serious about keeping their appointments, they won't hand over £5 if they aren't sure they will turn up.

I now find that clients either turn up or phone me before their appointment to change their time. This way the client doens't lose their deposit and I either get that client's business or I have time to book in somebody else and get their business instead. It is very rare that clients simply fail to show up without cancelling, this is what I mean about it being a success for me. I get booked solid back to back and don't have to worry about people not turning up. I don't get anywhere near the number of no shows I used to get.

I've been taking deposits now for about 2 years and it is working well. As I said, its down to your salon & your customers, it won't work for everyone but it does for me.

Edit: just reading this and realised it sounds like I'm arguing. I don't mean to argue, just trying to explain! I do appreciate what you are saying Geeg, I'm just adding my experience.

I appreciate that, and I'm glad it is working for you.

So are you saying you take a deposit for every client appointment, even rebalances, on regular customers?? When do they pay it, when they book the next appointment ? IOW they pay for their rebalance plus a deposit on their next appointment at the end of every service? Or;

Do you only take deposits from new clients when they book their first service?

Client booked in for rebalance and gel toes...no shows....been a client for a few months, does have form for being a bit of a messer....phone her up....no answer, leave a message asking if she is coming in as if she can't make it I have others whom I can bring forward...calls me back....forgot to put it in her diary.....thankfully I did have clients I could bring forward.

She had another appointment booked for 3 weeks after said appointment....I rubbed it out.

A day before she had the second appointment, which I had rubbed out, she calls me from Turkey asking if she has an appointment tomorrow....I say no.....knowing that I had rubbed it out....hey she must have forgotten to put it in her diary along with the previous appointment...all booked at the same time.....so what do I do.....fit her in later in the day.....finishing late and getting Craig to pick the kids up from after school club, which I normally do on a Friday.

So now she's in for a full set rather than a rebalance....I charge her as such but nothing extra for the no show....she didn't rebook for her rebalance as in her words, I might forget again....I'll call you, which she will.....and if I'm booked up I'll no doubt fit her in again.....

OK so I managed to finish early that night and bring some clients forward on the first appointment and made a few extra quid the second appointment.....but what could I have done differently?

Should I have charged her extra for the no show?

I think you handled it just great for this client, Cathie. Sometimes a little deception works wonders. You made her 'pay' but just in a different way.

Most of us can swallow one no show but the real point is she is now a regular and seems to be coming 'to heel' quite nicely.

Whatever it takes!! I like your style girl.

I feel silly asking this but....obviously I'm new to the nail world. I'm fully qualified by OPI and Creative for L&P and I'm also a licensed manicurist here as I passed my state exams last month.

Most of my clients while in school were older retired seniors that genuinely cannot afford the typical salon fees for manicures and pedicures--none ever asked for enhancements. I loved my clients but when I figured out my product costs with the products that I feel are the best quality, it seems there is no way for them to meet and for me to be profitable. I've had several of them call me and I've been avoiding calling them back because I guess I'm embarassed somehow that taking product costs into consideration it's out of their league. The part that gives me agony is that I really enjoyed working with them but at the same time, I did my training and passed my courses so I could put my kids through school.

What I'm wondering is would it be unprofessional to have a senior price menu? Or would that open up a whole can of worms to deal with in the future?

S

I love the idea of specials for Seniors but if you do it, it must be a different service to the one you give your regulars. I don't think it would open a can of worms if you offered perhaps a little less luxurious and more basic manicure but still a good job, and of course with a pleasing result.

You don't want to be seen to be offering the SAME service at a lower price or that to me gives out the wrong signals to your other clients.

You don't want to be seen to be offering the SAME service at a lower price or that to me gives out the wrong signals to your other clients.

Excellent! I'm sitting down with my beloved mentor tomorrow at the salon to put together my pricing list so I will keep this in mind.

S

Anymore questions for the Agony Aunt???

What about retailing??? The easiest way to make money without doing any work! Those of you who do not do it are really missing an opportunity.

I thought it was a real telling comment on our 'industry' when I read in this months issue of Professional Beauty, an article that posted the question to both beauty and nail therapists, "How often do you rotate your stock?" Do you know what the most nail techs replied????

Wot stock? I don't carry any!!
Duh!!

Good God, no wonder people don't think we nail technicians as a whole are professioanls!!

What about retailing??? The easiest way to make money without doing any work! Those of you who do not do it are really missing an opportunity.

I thought it was a real telling comment on our 'industry' when I read in this months issue of Professional Beauty, an article that posted the question to both beauty and nail therapists, "How often do you rotate your stock?" Do you know what the most nail techs replied????

Wot stock? I don't carry any!! Duh!!

Good God, no wonder people don't think we nail technicians as a whole are professioanls!!

Geeg, I am one of those nail tech's that dont have any stock for sale ..:( the only reason is though because i dont know what to say to sell things! i am a little on the shy side lol and feel like i am being greedy expecting people to pay for my service ANd buy things off me aswell....can you give us some ideas,pointers on how to sell things like polish removers,solar oils,polishes and whatever else everybody sells?
greatly appreciated. Nic

Hey

I had a client in earlier in the week, she was booked in on tues at 2pm and rung at 1.45 to cancel, she rebooked for weds a 3pm. On weds she turned up at 3pm with a voucher in her hand. I work above a hair salon, and the voucher stated it was for a 10% discount with 'x' and 'x' at the hair salon. She kept asking me if she could use to which i replied ' no, we are seperate businesses. I did her eyebrow shape - they were extremely thick so i took quite alot off but not loads. Anyway shaped them into an arched look and they looked brilliant. She took the mirror and said she wanted more off, so i took a tiny bit again she said more - this repetedly happened, when i asked wot exactly she wanted she kept saying i dont mind do wot u think!?! Eventualy she said that they'd ''Have to do'' but she wanted me to now wax the top of her eyebrows. I explained that I dont offer that as it is an industry no no explained it all to her. She ummmed and arred then asked again. I again said no. She said ''well my last therapist did it.'' So I said, ''well i'm very sorry but i'm not going to do it, you will need to go back to your other therapist.'' she said ''no im not going to i disliked her, the one before her wouldnt wax the top either'' anyway i was getting bored of her constant negativity now, so asked if she was happy and again she said ''there too thick and I want the top doing!!!'' by this time i was really loosing my cool. I did a bit more underneath and again refused to do the top. She then studied for 10minutes in the mirror and said 'this will have to do i dont have time to fuss around''

In the end she was with me for 45minutes for a treatment that would usually take 15minutes max. She paid £7 and tried the voucher again, and got very agressive wen I wouldnt accept it.

Did i handle this ok? WOuld you have waxed the top? Wot do u do with pushy clients?

She really knocked my confidence, I know I shouldnt let it get to me but it really has.

Becki xxx

ps. sorry about the essay!

Wot stock? I don't carry any!!
Duh!!

At least you know I am Geeg from my previous question on my Germaine stuff.

Went to WH Smiths today to buy some prices labels, so the clients know what they cost without being forced. All the stock arrived today so when the retail cabinet is put up this weekend it will be all go next week.

Any other retail tips would be greatly appreciated though Geeg. :hug:

Geeg, I am one of those nail tech's that dont have any stock for sale ..:( the only reason is though because i dont know what to say to sell things! i am a little on the shy side lol and feel like i am being greedy expecting people to pay for my service ANd buy things off me aswell....can you give us some ideas,pointers on how to sell things like polish removers,solar oils,polishes and whatever else everybody sells?
greatly appreciated. Nic

Let's face it! When most of us got into this business, all we wanted to do was nails! We didn't realise that we were going to become bosses, psychiatrists, movie critics, child councillors, life advisers etc.

So many hats to wear, and one of the most important is to be able to sell the things that your clients NEED to care for their enhancements.
I can give you all sorts of tips to becoming a good SALES person because it does not come naturally to most women to sell well. We find ourselves apologising for the price, worrying the clients can't afford the price etc. And every time you do this you are making assumptions and your whole demeanour and body language is 'closing your client's purse' before she has had a chance to open it.
1. The client NEEDS your products to care for her nails.
2. The client NEEDS your products to solve problems like dry skin, flaky nails, etc.
3. You need to know and TRUST that the products you have WILL do what they say.
4. You need to know all about the products you are selling and to be able to communicate to your clients how they will benefit by using them.
5. You need to have used all the products you sell and be able to talk about them with enthusiasm and energy.
6, Take a retail course and learn how to do it. Creative offer one and you should take it. Retailing should be at least 20% of your business.

Did i handle this ok? WOuld you have waxed the top? Wot do u do with pushy clients?
She really knocked my confidence, I know I shouldnt let it get to me but it really has.
quote]

Hi Bexi,

As I understand it from sassy, there is no contra indication to waxing or tweezing the top of the eyebrows. It is just not normally needed and it is not normally taught. But there's no reason why you cannot do it if the client really wants it. It's is a matter more of aesthetics than danger. If I felt it would look better and the client wanted it, then I would have done it for her.

But you stuck to your principals (as you know them) and that is not a wrong thing to do but sometimes you have to think a little outside the box and bend especially as there is no particular reason not to.

I know specialists who wax the top of the eye brow if needed and I myself like my brows arched and tweeze a few hairs regularly from the top to get the shape I want.

Don't let it knock your confidence. But as a general rule, if there is no good reason not to do something, if the client wants it, I do it!!

my concern is she is an indian lady and was quite dark and downy all over - waxing the top would look odd? ie. would look obvious it had been done? do u think!?

this is wot frustrates me - i've had serveal jobs all who said no to waxing the top - its very confusing and now im on my own well who do u turn too!?

becki xxx

my concern is she is an indian lady and was quite dark and downy all over - waxing the top would look odd? ie. would look obvious it had been done? do u think!?

this is wot frustrates me - i've had serveal jobs all who said no to waxing the top - its very confusing and now im on my own well who do u turn too!?

becki xxx

It may look a bit obvious to you but it the client does not mind that and after your advice, still wants it I would do it. There is no real reason as I've said why waxing form the top should be a no and I know plenty who do it. Why not? If the client wants.

There is no confusion. Some prefer not to do it and many do it. Your choice. There is no such thing here as NO.

Latest posts

Back