Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had mine on for a week today hun....and they are FAB still (the glitter ones)
Not a single problem...even when i caught one in the car before...still didn;t break..
no peeling no nothing...

This is why I am wondering wether to charge her,,because After wearing them myself for a week ...and i have done another i think 4 full sets now on clients
...I havent had anyone come back with problems,
I think because she only paid 10 pounds for them she hasnt looked after them tbh...
But then I dont want her to think im ripping her off if it has been my fault...

I also dont want her to think I am weak and the slightest moan..I wont make her pay...(which i have done many a time in the past)

She has just texted me again telling me she might aswell take them all off and get a new set when she can afford it..
I have told her to leave them on and let me see tomorrow as I cant possibly tell without seeing them what she means.

Well if you can't, I sure can't.

Sounds like the usual thing ... if you pay nowt you treat them as if they are worth nowt!!

She got her cheap full set now that is the end of it. Show her yours and ask her why they should be so perfect and hers not?

Question:
lying clients

I had my first client in at my new rooms, her boyfriend booked it and they rang to ask if they could come in 30 mins later, I agreed. They turned up an hour late.

her appointment was for full body, scalp and facial massage - 80 mins, but because she turned up fully made up and hair perfect and after the treatment was going out for lunch, I suggested forgoing the scalp and facial massage and we went for reiki instead.

she rebooked for reflexology and reiki.

The day before the treatment I rang and left message on her answer phone to remind her of the treatment and to ring immediately if she had a problem.

I turned up on the saturday and got the room ready, she didn't show. I rang her, she was 200 miles away. said her boyfriend had rang in the week to cancel, but nobody could find a record of the treament.

I told her the appointment was put in by me, it was staring me in the face in big letters and didnt my phone call the day before alert her to the fact it hadnt been cancelled.

15 minutes later, still discussing her 'cancellation'.

I have let it go, as thought she was flaky the first time I met her, and don't want her as a client, but would you have handled it differently?

Dear Aunty Geeg

I have a mobile client (slightly disabled) who has been a good client for a long time.

She has asked me on a few occasions to pick up a certain domestic cleaning product which she can only get from Tesco as she doesn't shop there and I have done this as it really isn't any bother and she needs it about four times a year.

However today when she asked me to get it again for her, she had another few items which she added on to the list! (products which she can't get anywhere else). Oh dear oh dear, now I can see it spiralling. :eek:

She is lovely but how do you think I should deal with this? Her hubby drives, they do go out once or twice a week. She's not alone and housebound.

I'm sorry this is nothing to do with nails but has arisen out of my nail tech lifestyle! I realise I made a rod when I got the first item for her, but it didn't seem much to ask.

I would be grateful for your sound advice. Thank you. x

I think you handled it fine ..she does sound flakey and if she returns to y ou I would charge her for the missed appointment.
Question:
lying clients

I had my first client in at my new rooms, her boyfriend booked it and they rang to ask if they could come in 30 mins later, I agreed. They turned up an hour late.

her appointment was for full body, scalp and facial massage - 80 mins, but because she turned up fully made up and hair perfect and after the treatment was going out for lunch, I suggested forgoing the scalp and facial massage and we went for reiki instead.

she rebooked for reflexology and reiki.

The day before the treatment I rang and left message on her answer phone to remind her of the treatment and to ring immediately if she had a problem.

I turned up on the saturday and got the room ready, she didn't show. I rang her, she was 200 miles away. said her boyfriend had rang in the week to cancel, but nobody could find a record of the treament.

I told her the appointment was put in by me, it was staring me in the face in big letters and didnt my phone call the day before alert her to the fact it hadnt been cancelled.

15 minutes later, still discussing her 'cancellation'.

I have let it go, as thought she was flaky the first time I met her, and don't want her as a client, but would you have handled it differently?

Dear Aunty Geeg

I have a mobile client (slightly disabled) who has been a good client for a long time.

She has asked me on a few occasions to pick up a certain domestic cleaning product which she can only get from Tesco as she doesn't shop there and I have done this as it really isn't any bother and she needs it about four times a year.

However today when she asked me to get it again for her, she had another few items which she added on to the list! (products which she can't get anywhere else). Oh dear oh dear, now I can see it spiralling. :eek:

She is lovely but how do you think I should deal with this? Her hubby drives, they do go out once or twice a week. She's not alone and housebound.

I'm sorry this is nothing to do with nails but has arisen out of my nail tech lifestyle! I realise I made a rod when I got the first item for her, but it didn't seem much to ask.

I would be grateful for your sound advice. Thank you. x

Oh gosh ... I think I would get her items and tell he you were happy to do it for her and then WAIT and See IF it spirals. Maybe it wont and 4 times a year is a nice kindness to do for her.

Thank you, I will do that

Oh gosh ... I think I would get her items and tell he you were happy to do it for her and then WAIT and See IF it spirals. Maybe it wont and 4 times a year is a nice kindness to do for her.

topping up your Karma Points!! lol.

Hi, ive been doing acrylics at college and as usual have had people queing up for me to 'practice' on them! One of my neighbours asked if I could do hers as she wanted to treat herself after going thru a rough time lately and also dropped in the line of 'it'll be good practice for you!'.
I agreed to do it but charged a small amount to cover the costs of some of the products im using. I told her how much i would charge for rebalance and said id replace up to 2 nails free (because im technically still practicing) but would charge a small amount again for any more than that.

Anyway, she was happy with this, i did her nails and was very pleased with them, also sold her cuticle oil at the same time gave her all home care advice etc etc.
A couple of days later she knocks at my door to tell me she'd fallen over and snapped 2 nails off, whilst doing this she really hurt one of her natural nails underneath, broken the hyponeycium (soz, prob spelt that wrong!) and made it bleed.
I advised her to wait for a few days at least to let it heal, then id take a look at see about replacing the nails for her if her poorly nail was ok by then.

Then, 2 days later, when im at work (in a shop - nothing to do with nails) she comes in and starts on about her nails again, she'd knocked another one off and started shoving her finger in my face telling me to look at her bad one as she now had a small white area at the free edge where she'd hurt it. 'What is it?' she kept saying and started acting like a drama queen as she often does. I explained it to her and also pointed out that the little brown specks she near her free edge was where it had bled and was now healing - i told her its a bit like a scab that you'd get on your skin but under your nail instead! 'But its brown' she kept saying!! :mad:
She kept on and on about it and in the end i got quite fed up with repeating myself and explaining it over and over again. I was working and she kept following me round the shop - even when i was trying to deal with other customers - she was there!! I managed to escape to the back of the shop in the end where i hid until she left!

I knew when i agreed to do her nails that it was a mistake because she is a drama queen and has a major attention seeking prob, but me being me just thought it would be nice for her as she has had a bit of a rough time (brought on by herself mainly)!
She is a neighbour who i distanced myself from because of the fact that she doesnt leave you alone as soon as you speak to her, she wants everyone to do everything for her and to look after her kids and she even contacts the police regularly to report people whom she has seen not wearing seatbelts (she doesnt drive but takes down number plates when she is out!). She got too much for me before and now ive been stupid by letting her in again!

What can i say to avoid this girl - how can i offer to soak her nails off for her and then NOT do them again!!!

She is very pushy but i just need to avoid her - if i dont she will follow me everywhere!

I knew when i agreed to do her nails that it was a mistake because she is a drama queen and has a major attention seeking prob, but me being me just thought it would be nice for her as she has had a bit of a rough time (brought on by herself mainly)!
She is a neighbour who i distanced myself from because of the fact that she doesnt leave you alone as soon as you speak to her, she wants everyone to do everything for her and to look after her kids and she even contacts the police regularly to report people whom she has seen not wearing seatbelts (she doesnt drive but takes down number plates when she is out!). She got too much for me before and now ive been stupid by letting her in again!

What can i say to avoid this girl - how can i offer to soak her nails off for her and then NOT do them again!!! She is very pushy but i just need to avoid her - if i dont she will follow me everywhere!

Well you can't just drop her now that you have done a service for her. Even if you only do one more service, you'll have to remove the enhancements for her.

Maybe point out that she is not 'getting on with them' very well and perhaps it would be best if she had them removed ... THEN yo can remove her from your life as well.

Great thread....me next please!!!

I have this client who is not a regular customer of mine. The last I saw her was in June of this year and her first impression didn't stick well with me at all. She barged over to me as I walked into the salon and she continued to demand I fix her 3 nails right then and there, even though my client who had an appointment was sitting in the waiting room for me. I didn't know who this woman was at the time and was floored at how pushy she was. I handled that situation by telling her to come back at a more appropriate time. Then anytime after that she would show up when she knew I was finishing up for the day and demand I fix a nail before I leave and even do a fill before I leave. There was always a desperate plea and then more pushing....

Long story short, she expects me to bend over backwards for her and she's not even a regular client of mine. Now I see she managed to get an appointment tomorrow, and I am booked from now till well into the new year......I am anticipating she is going to try and get me to "fit her in" right before christmas for a fill and I'm not sure if I have enough patience or words to politely tell her tough luck.
How would you handle this?

Dear Geeg

I'm pretty new to the boards, only found them recently.

Not sure if this thread is still running, but I had a small question with regard to the retailing aspect.

In your experience, do you find it better to purchase a large amount of a limited number of products, or to only buy a few of many different products to offer to clients.

I would really like to make the most out of retailing but want to have the right stock products in so that i'm not stuck with lots of shelved stock (ie.money in limbo).

Any advice appreciated.:)

Dear Geeg

I'm pretty new to the boards, only found them recently.

Not sure if this thread is still running, but I had a small question with regard to the retailing aspect.

In your experience, do you find it better to purchase a large amount of a limited number of products, or to only buy a few of many different products to offer to clients.

I would really like to make the most out of retailing but want to have the right stock products in so that i'm not stuck with lots of shelved stock (ie.money in limbo).

Any advice appreciated.:)

This is a good question.

The right stock products are the ones the client NEEDS to do some maintenance at home and keep her enhancements in tip top condition (it is good for her and makes life easier for you as well).

I haven' t checked as to what brand you are using so I can't recommend, but you know what you use in the salon and what your clients NEED.
Concentrate on those products first because they are easy to sell, you use them every day and no one likes being pushed into buying products they don't need.

If you are just starting out I recommend you buy six packs of the products you want to retail. Speaking for CND, if you buy a six pack of anything, you save heaps. Buying any stock in tiny sizes or in single quantities costs you more and you make less return when you retail.

You have to speculate to accumulate. So money will always be tied up on the shelf for a little while .. it is up to you to shift it. Also quantity creates IMPACT for the client. Products sitting on a shelf in ones and twos do not look important to the client and in fact are unnoticeable ... Create impact ... know your products and what they do and how they will benefit the client to buy them ... relay this info to your clients while working. Place a retail bottle of whatever you are trying to sell on the table near the client while you are using it. At the end of the service ask the client if she would like it adding to her service charge.

Great thread....me next please!!!

I have this client who is not a regular customer of mine. The last I saw her was in June of this year and her first impression didn't stick well with me at all. She barged over to me as I walked into the salon and she continued to demand I fix her 3 nails right then and there, even though my client who had an appointment was sitting in the waiting room for me. I didn't know who this woman was at the time and was floored at how pushy she was. I handled that situation by telling her to come back at a more appropriate time. Then anytime after that she would show up when she knew I was finishing up for the day and demand I fix a nail before I leave and even do a fill before I leave. There was always a desperate plea and then more pushing....

Long story short, she expects me to bend over backwards for her and she's not even a regular client of mine. Now I see she managed to get an appointment tomorrow, and I am booked from now till well into the new year......I am anticipating she is going to try and get me to "fit her in" right before christmas for a fill and I'm not sure if I have enough patience or words to politely tell her tough luck.
How would you handle this?

I'm sorry I missed this post before Christmas and since then I have been out of the country for 4 weeks. Let me know how you got on and if this person is still around.

Thanks for your input geeg. It's much appreciated.

I have also read through a lot of old threads and have found so many of your posts and written articles to be really helpful.

Thanks

I'm sorry I missed this post before Christmas and since then I have been out of the country for 4 weeks. Let me know how you got on and if this person is still around.

It actually went better than I thought....sh simple didn't try to book anything! and I didn't see her again untill just last week. I've stayed pretty firm with her and I think she's gotten the hint that I don't bend that easily so luckily she hasn't been an issue, but BOY OH BOY does she ever pry into the nitty gritty of me and my co-workers personal life. I'm a failry quiet worker so I have been short with answers such as " I don't know", or "it's fine" and so she doesn't ask me personal questions much anymore.

Thanks for checking up on the topic though!

LADIES AND GENTS ... I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO BECOME THE REGULAR AGONY AUNT FOR A PROFESSIONAL NAIL TRADE MAGAZINE.

UNTIL THAT KICKS OFF WITH READERS WRITING IN, WOULD ANY OF YOU OBJECT TO ME USING YOUR QUESTIONS IN THE MAGAZINE??

YOUR NAME WOULD BE MENTIONED BUT NO FURTHER DETAILS.

OR WOULD YOU RATHER REMAIN ANONYMOUS??

:green:congrats Geeg!!!
Cant think of anyone better to fill that role.
Jen

Dear Auntie Geeg. :)

I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask a question, after being reminded of this thread. :)

I've been a nail tech for almost nine years, and for at least the last five years, I've been as busy as I like to be--until this past year. I don't know if it's the recession going on here in the US or what, but I've lost ten regular enhancement clients--my bread and butter--and I'm not able to meet all my financial obligations now because of the loss. I've picked up a few recently (thank goodness!), but I've seriously considered offering discounted full sets to get people into my chair--and this after years of shunning discounted services because of the coupon shoppers who'll never come back. But I'm at a lost for what else to do, and I need the money! I still have a referal program in place, but it doesn't seem to motivate most of my clients to bring others in. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Dear Auntie Geeg. :)

I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask a question, after being reminded of this thread. :)

I've been a nail tech for almost nine years, and for at least the last five years, I've been as busy as I like to be--until this past year. I don't know if it's the recession going on here in the US or what, but I've lost ten regular enhancement clients--my bread and butter--and I'm not able to meet all my financial obligations now because of the loss. I've picked up a few recently (thank goodness!), but I've seriously considered offering discounted full sets to get people into my chair--and this after years of shunning discounted services because of the coupon shoppers who'll never come back. But I'm at a lost for what else to do, and I need the money! I still have a referal program in place, but it doesn't seem to motivate most of my clients to bring others in. Do you have any suggestions for me?

I know your question was aimed at Geeg, but what was the reasons for your clients not having you do their nails any longer?

Latest posts

Back