£14.50 food challenge for a month

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeryBusyBunny

Reaction score
That is very small amount. Wow ! I spend all this at Sainsbury on Blue Cheese and Pear Rye Bread Toasties I make this evening just now when I just come in from work. My mother at home in Portugal could do this for sure. I say you are very fearless to try in UK. Food is so expensive. I hope it works :)

Pasta
Rice
Tins of chopped tomatoes/ kidney beans/ veg (no tuna too expensive)
Noodles
Flour
Butter
Long life milk

Once you've been broke you can cook anything with anything :D (AND that just what's in your kitchen already!)

Eggs , baked beans , rice ,noodles tins of anything , water , black tea / coffee . You can buy 19p noodles from tesco :) cereal can be good with water once you get over not using milk ,

Just be sure to watch yourself make sure you are not getting to hungry and damaging your health or well being .

I've lived on a tight budget before but food really is the last thing you Shuld cut back on ,£14 for a month is rediculously tight ,
It's less than 50p a day ,
I'm sorry for going on but you are not a kitten you are a human you need more !

Last edited:
Good luck but... Just remember that food is the fuel for our body, brain, mind and soul. What you give is what you get xxx

I might join you! I'm trying to save up and if I can do this then why not?! Good luck x

Wow ! A month you have got to keep is updated on what you are eating every day and what you have made it with, incredible

that sounds very little for a month!!! when i was single parent i used to do food shopping for and boys for around £40 a week. if you dont buy brands and buy cheaper sauces and add herbs etc to them you can make cheap meals. i guess if you made your own soups with rice or pasta and made bread it could be done....morrisons 30p tea bags are good too!!good luck xx

As I don't have any kids I can try to do that, if I fail...nothing happens, so I am up for it :)

ThanksAdriana, NiCshairstudio, pinkknailss, mizzy_dizzy, sunshineinme,
Pinkbunny28,Decadence, souz for all the advice and good words.

I will keep the blog updated daily :) Going to check the shops of what I could have for food this week.

Me and my daughter lived off of £5.00 a week for about a year a few years back when times were hard and I tell you what I can be done if you can cook your laughing lol.

We had 3 meals a day good filling meals.

We now live off about £20-30 a week sometimes less.

Good luck to you and keep us posted it can be done just shop wise plan what you can get for your money look online at the best prices ie tescol,asda,lidl,morissons and so on also we have lots of Indian supermarkets in our town really cheep for veg rice pasta good quality food better than supermarkets like tescos etc.xx

Wow I'm really impressed you should of got sponsors for a charity be even more of a reason to do it. Think of the xtra Christmas pounds you will lose. Good luck I will be following, can you tell us what you buy ect? X x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Fair play to you!

The only advice I can offer, is to hunt down the best offers on mysupermarket.com for deals and use your local fruit and veg shop often! :)

I remember the days of being made redundant and a wait till Job Seekers kicked in!! I honestly don't know if I could do it now!

All the very best! :)

Have a look at the money saving expert site, you will find loads of ideas for cheap meals and meal planing. I use to do a shopping challenge each month to see how much I Could cut my food bill. Always make a list when you go shopping and stick to it, make a meal plan for the month, I use to shop in the evening when all the reduced stuff was really cheap and cooking in bulk is good for keeping costs down.

I think I might even go back to my old ways as there are so many treatments that I want to train in this year.

Good luck, Shelley X :)

wow that's a hell of a challenge!! do you have a market near you? if you wait until the end they practically give fruit and veg away you could cook and freeze it to last the month you'll definitely need a menu plan

I'm intrigued with this!

Can you use things you already have in your store cupboards like spices/seasonings etc?

Or are you just starting with only things you get with your £14.50 and 2 saucepans etc!?

I do love a challenge, but I'd struggle with that. Maybe £14.50 a week at a push, but not for the month.

Go for it! :)

I've just done my weekly shop and just the food came to £80! I would never be able to to this and I'm dieting... Successfully. So good luck to you xx

I also could never do this, a lot of good luck to you :) let us know how you get on!

I will concentrate on rice meals, cheap and I like it :)

My shopping today.

Day 1 - Shopping

Crystal colleen sounds like you are properly hardcore, I think it is much harder to make kids do that, because they do want sweets and stuff.

lila22 sponsors maybe next time when I think of something like this. And those extra pounds :o they will have to go.

KayaPapaya - will check the mysupermarket.com :) I will start only with utensils, stove and some pepper and salt.

Shelley_d - I am not amazing with planing, but will try my best. I already did go through Money Saving Expert: Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

Belle Vie - I have 2 fruit markets in my area.

ProperPrincess, PinkSwoon - thankyou :)

Me and my daughter lived off of £5.00 a week for about a year a few years back when times were hard and I tell you what I can be done if you can cook your laughing lol.

We had 3 meals a day good filling meals.

We now live off about £20-30 a week sometimes less.

Good luck to you and keep us posted it can be done just shop wise plan what you can get for your money look online at the best prices ie tescol,asda,lidl,morissons and so on also we have lots of Indian supermarkets in our town really cheep for veg rice pasta good quality food better than supermarkets like tescos etc.xx

Fiver a week? I can cook but cannot imagine how you would do it!

£14.50 a month tho! Think id be able to do it if it was just me, not me my man and my 2 bottomless pits, or should I say sons haha xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back