£14.50 food challenge for a month

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in Asda last night about 9.30 they had crazy whoops offers deep filled berry pie 10p full granary baguette 5p hahaha I suppose as that time most people had eaten so it was their last chance to get something for it. They can be frozen so make worth late trips to the supermarket and freezer bags

Get some bones from the butcher for your "dog" and boil them for a soup :) lots of home baking. Its also cheaper sometimes to buy meet such as a chicken and joint it yourself. Good luck, at least its winter and u can get away with eating lots of stews x
Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Fiver a week? I can cook but cannot imagine how you would do it!

£14.50 a month tho! Think id be able to do it if it was just me, not me my man and my 2 bottomless pits, or should I say sons haha xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

After paying my gas,electric and water that is all I had left over I didn't have anything luxury no contract phone no sky etc.

I didn't have any debt either.My mum paid my tv licence because I couldn't afford to.

We lived on £5 a week after all bills were paid but we did it no trouble.Yes ok it was hard with my daughter but she was young so not as hard if she was the age she is now.We had lots of stews,rice dishes,veg found protein in other food stuffs other than meat sometimes.

I dud this for a whole year because I was to proud to tell anyone that I was living off £5 a week lol silly really but we did it fine.x

I will concentrate on rice meals, cheap and I like it :)

My shopping today.

Day 1 - Shopping

Crystal colleen sounds like you are properly hardcore, I think it is much harder to make kids do that, because they do want sweets and stuff.

lila22 sponsors maybe next time when I think of something like this. And those extra pounds :o they will have to go.

KayaPapaya - will check the mysupermarket.com :) I will start only with utensils, stove and some pepper and salt.

Shelley_d - I am not amazing with planing, but will try my best. I already did go through Money Saving Expert: Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

Belle Vie - I have 2 fruit markets in my area.

ProperPrincess, PinkSwoon - thankyou :)

Lol not hardcore just had to make ends meet and live off what had I was to proud to tell anyone I was living litterally on the bread line lol

We ate well though never hungry and had 3 meals a day.

My best friend used to joke and say I don't know anyone that can make a fiver last a week lol.

It's easy when you know how.x

Really impressed with posts on here!

I'm thinking veggy diet, seasonal veg and protein from beans, lentils etc. Rice, pasta for carbs.

Use of freezer pretty essential, I would say.

Really impressed with posts on here!

I'm thinking veggy diet, seasonal veg and protein from beans, lentils etc. Rice, pasta for carbs.

Use of freezer pretty essential, I would say.

That's exactly it dandy veggy diet and finding other sorces of protein.

I used to portion everything for that week so cook it all into daily portions of six 3 meals for me and 3 meals for Billie and freez it all for the whole week because then you don't over eat for the other days lol.x

What I cooked for my first meal :) Very nice, but challenging to do it for a month.

sjmand - as i work nights, ASDA reduced shelf has always been my friend :)

domino - good thinking, will think about that.

What I cooked for my first meal :) Very nice, but challenging to do it for a month.

sjmand - as i work nights, ASDA reduced shelf has always been my friend :)

domino - good thinking, will think about that.

I'm loving this! It's fascinating. You're very determined :) What do you get when you "win"? Big posh dinner out I hope!

Ok I'm not going to be as good and I'm going to start with chicken and whatever else is in my freezer. But I'm a student. I could live off just pasta no problem if I had to. But my treat at the end will be that my bank account won't be so much in the red...(and maybe some shoes...) x

Love this tread ,good luck ,

i think if I lived on my own I could do this because I have a under active thyroid which kills my metabolism so on a normal day to day basis I live on porridge ,eggs,veg ,a small amount of meat ,some tinned beans ,chickpeas etc and some fruit .

Skimmed milk powder is cheap and you can just make up what you need ,defiantly get into the supermarket on a daily basis and see what is in the reduced section :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I dont think you could of picked a better time too as i no myself am sick of the sight of food after christmas.
Good on you and im sure you will do it :) x x:hug:

Good luck it will be a interesting blog! x

We could never do that in our family.
2 adults 2 kids 2 cats 1 dog, meals planed for the wk all healthy and slimming world based. Cleaning products and pets food etc and our bill for just this wk was just short of £150

We could never do that in our family.
2 adults 2 kids 2 cats 1 dog, meals planed for the wk all healthy and slimming world based. Cleaning products and pets food etc and our bill for just this wk was just short of £150

No I couldn't either, we also have 2 kids, 2 cats and 1 dog and me and my oh the lowest I get my food bill is 50 per week for our food not including cleaning and household supplies and the pets have around £40 every 2 weeks, I love my food and OH needs a good supply of food as his job is so exhausting he gets hungry easily plus kids lunches etc.

Good on to the OP though if you can do it x good luck x x

Wow, fair play to any of you that can do this!! .. It's just me and my boyfriend at home and I easily spend £70 a week on just food!! No other household items, no drink... Just food!!

Sounds really hard I will look at all the tips though as my food bill is more than my mortgage :( so anything to cut the cost would be great! Think I could do £5 a week but not sure about the hubby n kids

wow this has been an interesting read already, can't wait to follow the blog. Wishing you the best of luck, you sound determined.

If you have an aldi nearby they do an offer that changes every week where certain fruit and veg is 39p x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Had a peek at your blog day 1, are you just having one meal a day? Or is the budget for evening meals only. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Ok I was with you until I seen you drank beef stock cube as soup :eek: that is just pure salt! I think that you need to focus on getting healthy food into you as well as it being cheap so you can come out of the end of the month feeling healthy still. Otherwise I fear you will really run yourself down.

First thing I would buy is a big bag of spuds - I know from a local farm shop in town I can buy 25kg for £2.99 which would do our whole family a month when funds are low! Team it with any super low priced meat and veg from Asda. You could end up with a nice range of things like cottage pie, baked potato etc

I would then buy value self raising flour and either watch for eggs, milk and butter on discount/woops or just buy them and use that to make pancakes. You can team them with any fruit you find reduces. Porridge for the rest of the days as its cheap and filling.

There is a great thread on MSE by a woman called I believe Weasel? She did just this with her partner - 50p a day but I think they hunted for fruit and the likes in local forests too. Id say the best way to sustain this long term would be to start growing some of your own veg :) GOOD LUCK! already subscribed to the blog for a daily read :hug:

At my lowest point (back when I was a full time college student with a part time job and on food stamps) I lived off a $20 a month food budget on my own. It CAN be done! Dried, canned, and frozen goods are your best friend. :lol:

Latest posts

Back