5:2/The Fast Diet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just about to give the bloody thing up!

My missus and I weighed in this morning, I've lost a couple of ounces (and as I said, I'm in marathon training!), and she's put weight ON.....well worth the sleepless hungry nights eh? :rolleyes:

*I wouldn't mind but we're doing it totally scientifically, everything we eat is going into MyFitnessPal and measured to a "T"...really odd.

Oh no! Could it be that you're not eating enough though instead?

Well, yes and no.... :)

When we did it before Xmas my wife wasn't losing anything, turns out she'd hardly been eating anything between fast days, which kinda "breaks" the diet apparently. So, she ate more on non-fast days (still less than her calories should be on fast days mind you) and lost more!

Doing exactly the same now and nothing is happening! Admittedly she's less to lose than me (she's thin but won't accept it..women eh?) but it's still bloody annoying when you've had two minging days and not had anything back for it!

Going to be having one more week on it to see how it goes. Marathon training ramps up soon, and I'm not sure I could face a 10 mile run on a fast day!

I'm just about to give the bloody thing up!

My missus and I weighed in this morning, I've lost a couple of ounces (and as I said, I'm in marathon training!), and she's put weight ON.....well worth the sleepless hungry nights eh? :rolleyes:

*I wouldn't mind but we're doing it totally scientifically, everything we eat is going into MyFitnessPal and measured to a "T"...really odd.

I have a friend who is marathon training who is losing just from the running and watching her diet? But she's not taking the diet part seriously and counting. Maybe it's a mixture of muscle and not eating enough and already being slim. Are you measuring? I'm not losing tonnes if weight but I'm losing inches?

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Haha how true...

1389966576499.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I will be joining you ladies from Monday, just booked our honeymoon for 22nd August this year!!

Well, I've just quit it :)

I did some maths, and the pain in the a*se of the fast days (the grumpy moods and sleepless nights) aren't worth it for me.

For example....

If my daily calorie limit was 1,500 per day, and I was doing two fast days of 600 calories that'd be 8,750 calories a week.

However, If I was eating a net amount (after factoring in my runs - not THAT kind of runs...as in jogging....tut) of 1,250 calories a day all week that's 8,750 calories.

50 calories difference over the week! Doesn't seem worth it for the pain of those fast days If I can just eat relatively healthy all week and exercise....

I'll be your lab rat. I'll report back in next week and see if it was any better :)

I did some maths, and the pain in the a*se of the fast days (the grumpy moods and sleepless nights) aren't worth it for me.

For example....

If my daily calorie limit was 1,500 per day, and I was doing two fast days of 600 calories that'd be 8,750 calories a week.

However, If I was eating a net amount (after factoring in my runs - not THAT kind of runs...as in jogging....tut) of 1,250 calories a day all week that's 8,750 calories.

50 calories difference over the week! Doesn't seem worth it for the pain of those fast days If I can just eat relatively healthy all week and exercise....

I'll be your lab rat. I'll report back in next week and see if it was any better :)

I really dont think you could of been eating enough if you were having 1500 and training for a marathon. My TDEE is 1700 and my life is sedentary. Keep us updated on your healthy eating. X

For example....

Have you been limiting your calorie intake on non fast days at all?
The idea of the fast days is to sort of shock your system into reapir mode so it's NOT all about having a low calorie intake through the week.

Have you been limiting your calorie intake on non fast days at all?
The idea of the fast days is to sort of shock your system into reapir mode so it's NOT all about having a low calorie intake through the week.

I watched the eat,fast, live longer documentery today it ess do interesting and those with a higher fat diet lost mist weight in thus diet. And I've gone over my TDEE again today :banghead:

Last edited:
I watch the eat,fast, live longer documentery today it ess do interesting and those with a higher fat diet lost mist weight in thus diet. And I've gone over my TDEE again today :banghead:

The ONLY days to calorie count are the fast days. On non fast days you shoulnd't be counting calories (just don't go bonkers eating loads of sweets & cakes etc..) try to still eat relativly healthy although you can have anything you want to on non fast days so if you want sweets have them, if you want a curry, have it - by NOT restricting your diet on non fast days you won't feel so bad on fast days.

The ONLY days to calorie count are the fast days. On non fast days you shoulnd't be counting calories (just don't go bonkers eating loads of sweets & cakes etc..) try to still eat relativly healthy although you can have anything you want to on non fast days so if you want sweets have them, if you want a curry, have it - by NOT restricting your diet on non fast days you won't feel so bad on fast days.

Your right I lost lots last year.nit counting on fast days. I'm nit sure why I have started really. Dc

I've read the book and listened to the tv documentary (the picture froze when I tried to watch it but what was being said was the important part of the documentary after all so I just listened to it all lol).

The 5:2 diet is simple really.

*ONLY limit your colories on fast days.
*DON'T do consecutive days - spread your fasts out.
*You CAN exercise while doing the diet if you want to (fast days included - if your doing it correctly you should actually feel more energised while exercising on fast days).
*The best results were from those doing just 2 fast days a week, those who did more fast days a week didn't seem to loose a lot more weight or gain a lot more in other health benefits.

ANYTHING & EVERYTHING is allowed on non fast days, don't limit calories on these days as you need to be keeping your body guessing - by setting a limit to your calories your not keeping your system guessing & you lose the effect of shocking the system into repair mode on fast days.

I'm going to be starting this up again as I found it quite easy to do previously but having the kids home on half term etc.. threw me as I was cooking & they were eating all the time & my routine was out of the window lol.

Personally I found it easier to not have anything to eat all day then eat a 500cal meal in the evening and have an earlyish night (to stop me wanting to pick while watching tv).
If I find myself craving something specific I'd take it to bed and put it on the bedside table so I can have it in the morning & that made me feel better - knowing I could have it in the morning - I actually never wanted it in the morning though lol.

I've read the book and listened to the tv documentary (the picture froze when I tried to watch it but what was being said was the important part of the documentary after all so I just listened to it all lol).

*You CAN exercise while doing the diet if you want to (fast days included - if your doing it correctly you should actually feel more energised while exercising on fast days).
*The best results were from those doing just 2 fast days a week, those who did more fast days a week didn't seem to loose a lot more weight or gain a lot more in other health benefits.

ANYTHING & EVERYTHING is allowed on non fast days, don't limit calories on these days as you need to be keeping your body guessing - by setting a limit to your calories your not keeping your system guessing & you lose the effect of shocking the system into repair mode on fast days.

I'm going to be starting this up again as I found it quite easy to do previously but having the kids home on half term etc.. threw me as I was cooking & they were eating all the time & my routine was out of the window lol.

Personally I found it easier to not have anything to eat all day then eat a 500cal meal in the evening and have an earlyish night (to stop me wanting to pick while watching tv).
If I find myself craving something specific I'd take it to bed and put it on the bedside table so I can have it in the morning & that made me feel better - knowing I could have it in the morning - I actually never wanted it in the morning though lol.

Thats weird isn't it, I'm dreaming of all thefood I want then I never want it cine feast day lol. The documentary was so interesting and the health benefits are amazing.

Very interesting and thank you. I don't have the book yet and wonder if the documentary is still available to watch/listen to online? If so, could you post the link, please?

I soooo agree with the bit about keeping your body guessing, the same as with your exercise regime. It simply doesn't pay to keep doing the same old/same old ad infinitum and, especially when you hit a plateau, I've found maybe eating a bit more and then dropping back down again can jolt the weight loss process into action once more.

So basically on NON fast days do you have to stick to your TDEE limit (mine is 1201 calories) or not?

So basically on NON fast days do you have to stick to your TDEE limit (mine is 1201 calories) or not?

My TDEE is so much higher than your's and yet I checked the details, although I know I'm a bit taller than average and moderately active/do regular exercise sessions to dvds. I only have a small amount of weight I want to shift, too! Think I will go and check again, though! :eek:

Your TDEE depends on your current height, weight and how active you are. X

Latest posts

Back