A big tip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your biggest tip

• My clients are cheapskates - 0

Votes: 80 19.5%
  • My clients are the norm -0 to 5

Votes: 207 50.4%
  • Im special - 5 to 10

Votes: 58 14.1%
  • Ive been blessed - 10 to 20

Votes: 40 9.7%
  • My clients have money to burn - over 20

Votes: 26 6.3%

• Total voters
No, it isn't the same one. Wouldn't that be weird!!! She's lives in Aveley - do you know of the Wilton's or the Bullen's? They're two huge families round this way (a little like a mini mafia!!!!) :gun:

My <b>biggest</b> tip was $25 and it was for doing a pedicure and a polish change. Woohooo... made my day. She's now a regular of mine and tips that way on the norm. I guess you can say I'm lucky. :D

after reading all these posts, and not being sure about the monatary exchange rate, it seems that we here in the u.s. get tipped more. i don't mean this in any offense, :!: but it's customary for clients to tip us. i work in a day spa, our mani's are $20, pedis are $43-48, and sets are $55. so we are usually tipped 25-50%. i guess we're REALLY lucky! :salute:

www.samuelsweet.com

Couldn't have said it better myself Jen!!!!!

www.samuelsweet.com

What a fab post. Cheers. :oops:

As to the exchange rate and tipping thing outside of the US...

The exchange rate for £ vs. $ is around 1.5
That means that a £10 tip would be the same as a $15 tip.
That said... Tipping is ingrained in the US culture. The vast majority of countries (damn near all I can think of) do not tip as customary.
Therefore... you go to a bar in the US... order a $3.00 beer and give a $1 tip. In the UK... you order a beer for £1.50 and that’s it.

Mrs Geek has curbed most of my tipping enthusiasm here in the UK... but not all. Being an American... I still can not get out of the habit of tipping. I was always taught that you should always tip anyone that has a direct influence on the enjoyment of your service.
As a tech in the states... I came to rely on my tips when budgeting my monthly income.
Overall... Its give and take. In the US... I made more in tips and paid a hell of a lot more out in tips. In the UK its about the opposite. When someone tips... it has more of a special meaning.

Cant' recall any super large tip that left anyone speechless ya know. But tips can be such a personal thing and such a varied amount. People hold VERY opposing viewpoints about how much to tip -- about who to tip --- about even should one tip. The majority of customers (here in USA) certainly do tip and how much they tip varies - never EXPECT or think that a tip is DUE to you --- but do love it when you are tipped.

Tips contribute greatly to your income. Working in just about ANY fast paced shop, you can expect a MINIMUM of $ 100 USD weekly in tips. AND know that in the USA, the IRS ( Internal Revenue Service ) IE ( DA TAX MAN ) expects all good nail techs to line up and pay taxes on their tips. HA. That line is SOoooooo LOngggggggg.
LET ME SEE IF I CAN GET A PIC IN HERE OF A COUPLE OF TIPSTERS
familypicsept02.jpg

My "biggest" tip came from a 75 yr old client. Out of the blue one day, after her service, she gave me a HUGE hug and told me she was glad I was there and that she just didn't know what she would do without me.
To me, that was better than any $$ tip!

Most of my clients tip me - usually between £2 and £5. My biggest tip was £10, the same client brought me round a huge bouquet the next day. I was absolutely chuffed with it. I don't think differently about the clients that don't tip, I assume they don't because they know it is my business and I'm not an employee on a wage as such.

I used to always tip in restaurants and taxi cabs, but I now only do it when I'm happy with the service. I figure that if there are people out there who don't tip after being pampered by someone for two hours, I shouldn't feel guilty about not giving a taxi driver a tip when he's spent the whole journey on his mobile!!!

Most of my clients give £2-£3 but last night my most loyal client give me £20!!! :) Most embarassed :oops: at time but got over it and was thrilled

most women do tip about 5 euro sometimes more/ sometimes less
Over the christmass i was doing quite well and most of the regulars gave a tenner instead of the usual fiver.
And then i'd seen my colleage who works there a couple of years longer than me( i only work there for a year now) and she was really cashing it in.

I suppose the longer you work there, the more of a relationship you build with your clients, and the more they will tip you.

My biggest tip was from a lady who didn't tip me over x-mass but came back after for her refills and gave me 20 euro on top of the usual 7 i got for doing 'the fills' :D

Astrid

I must say this is my 3rd week of working in a salon and i was tipped £2.50 from a client and it felt really good, knowing that i'd done a good job and she was really happy with them.

It may be a small gester but it's what makes you feel good and what you are doing really worth while.

Shelley

I have to ask - I am in Australia and tipping is not the norm here but I do know a few people who get tips.

Do you have tip jars on your tables or by the cash register?
Do you add it to their ticket at the end of the service?
Do you ask if you should add it to their ticket at the end of the service?
Do you ask them if they require change if they have handed you a larger amount than neccessary?

These are a few options that I found through an exam on business I studied for that was USA based so I wondered what really is the done thing?

Jadey :)

My biggest tip to date was £5 and I was really chuffed. This happened when I was doing my Diploma in college, I used to get nervous before the clients arrived, even though there was supervision. I did this young ladies nails and she was very impressed, she gave me a £5 tip. She even left me her number and said when I finished my course and I set up on my own to ring her, guess what I lost the number before I got going :o .

I often get tips - normally they round up the figure - so I get £30 if it's £25 or whatever.

My best tip (IMO) was not money at all. I was doing the last rebalance on a long term client who was emigrating, I had my table up and everyone around was packing boxes whilst she sat and had her nails done (LOL). There were lots of things that she didn't want anymore and she gave me presents for both of my children - a huge water gun and a gorgeous cuddly polar bear (all new). I thought that was really sweet.

I also have a clients who has given me some school uniform!!, another gave me a little personal stereo for my son.

I have to say i never expect a tip and always have change when doing a set of nails or infills etc. A few people say keep the change which is nice, but i like it when they show they are happy with what i have done.

My Gran, bless her she's 81, really loved it when i did a manicure for her. i didn't charge her as she has always been there for me and i knew she would love it. She waited untill i was leaving a shoved £10 in my hand, i tried to return it, but no she can be stubborn, she insisted and said it was so nice to be pampered. Also the fact i wouldn't charge her made her want to pay me.She said at the end of the day it's my business so i should except her token payment.

I find things like that are worth more than large tips, appreciation is everything.:biggrin:

for me i get the $20 tips pretty regular and the occasional $35 & $40 tips, but my best had to be a $400 tip on a $175 set ! I was so stoked......i had to drive to this woman about 1 hour away from me.Needless to say whenever she called ,i was there! she was a very very good tipper.

guru

sawasdee ka

We have had 2 very big tip one man come 1 day i ask him are you ok he say he hungry i ask him you want some thing to eat he want sanwich and coffee so we make for him and after he pay he give 1000 baht tip :biggrin: .

Mui from Thailand

Most of my clients don't tip but the few that do usually a couple of quid. I have 2 regulars who always tip - one an l&p client always a fiver and ten at christmas and my 90 year old weekly mini manicure lady always tips me a pound.

Another regular came in with easter eggs for my kids last week ... bless ..... v thoughtful.

I have to add that my clients are about the norm when it comes to tipping, although almost everyone of my client does tip me after their treatment, be it nail treatments or beauty treatments. My usual is about 2-3pounds, but the other week i had a new client who was really pleased with her nails and gave me a 5pound tip. I was so embarressed, but pleased that she liked her nails so much. I dont know about any of you guys but i do find it embarressing when people tip me, but i suppose thats simething i will get over with time!!! LOL!
Oh and i had a client book in for one nail repair as she was due for a holiday and didnt want to go away with a nail broken. She rang me in dispair, and it was a saturday eve, so i said, ok as i work from home and it was only 1 nail repair for her to come round on the sun morn. She arrived with a huge bouquet of flowers and she gave me a 2pound tip, so i guess she was appreciative!!

Michelle

Latest posts

Back