A client has come to me with a problem. Not sure what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabulous

Reaction score
A lady has come to me. She had a set taken off and it hurt one of her nails; looks like over filing, then another set on top. It looks like the acrylic has not adhered to the middle of the nail and its all red with a dot in the middle, but the rest has acrylic on. What will I do? I've covered with plaster at the moment !:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
A lady has come to me. She had a set taken off and it hurt one of her nails; looks like over filing, then another set on top. It looks like the acrylic has not adhered to the middle of the nail and its all red with a dot in the middle, but the rest has acrylic on. What will I do? I've covered with plaster at the moment !:rolleyes:

First I would soak off the product and have a good look at the condition of the natural nail. If necessary to protect it while it grows out, I would do a thin overlay and monitor it carefully over the next few weeks until it improves as it renews itself.

First I would soak off the product and have a good look at the condition of the natural nail. If necessary to protect it while it grows out, I would do a thin overlay and monitor it carefully over the next few weeks until it improves as it renews itself.

Thanks !!! ill do just that where would i be with out salon geek !! x

Just a thought but if the nail is thin and damaged in this area don't be surprised if she gets this pocket lifting again ... when a nail is very thin and damaged it can make it difficult for the product to adhere.

If I saw anything red and looking inflamed I would recommend to the client that they remove the product and let the nail heal. Red usually means inflammatin or infection. This way if there is any infection I am not held liable and it is in the best interest of the client's health. Better to be safe than sorry. But that is JMO!!

If I saw anything red and looking inflamed I would recommend to the client that they remove the product and let the nail heal. Red usually means inflammatin or infection. This way if there is any infection I am not held liable and it is in the best interest of the client's health. Better to be safe than sorry. But that is JMO!!

I would never let a client remove their own enhancements. She would be much better advised to have it removed professionally.

I had a client in this week, who is a long standing client of mine - she spent a considerable amount of time away & ended up having a soak off and a new set applied by a salon where she was staying.
The upshot of this is, almost half of her nails are red raw where the other tech has filed & filed before application of the new set, resulting in very badly applied & lifting nails, which I had to remove - then re-apply a new L&P overlay over them, they were so red they hurt her whilst they were curing! This was not inflammation, just over filing, which is best covered for protection and monitored IMO.

I didn't exactly mean for them to remove them, if they were in for the regularly scheduled appt I would remove the product. However there is nothing wrong, given proper instruction on how to soak off their enhancements, for a client to soak off their nail product at home.

We are not doctors and cannot diagnose whether a nail is inflammed or not. So how do you know it wasn't inflamation or infected? I was told through the years not only by my instructors, books I've read, and also other experienced and well educated nail techs that if a nail doesn't look healthy, pink and white, then we should not apply product on that nail. As I stated before I would rather be safe than sorry. And it is my opinion!

I didn't exactly mean for them to remove them, if they were in for the regularly scheduled appt I would remove the product. However there is nothing wrong, given proper instruction on how to soak off their enhancements, for a client to soak off their nail product at home.

We are not doctors and cannot diagnose whether a nail is inflammed or not. So how do you know it wasn't inflamation or infected? I was told through the years not only by my instructors, books I've read, and also other experienced and well educated nail techs that if a nail doesn't look healthy, pink and white, then we should not apply product on that nail. As I stated before I would rather be safe than sorry. And it is my opinion!

Whilst I very much agree with you that we are not doctors and should not diagnose I do believe that as trained nail technicians we should know enough about nails to be able to determine what is red from over filing/damage and what isnt....I probably know more about nails than my doctor does...:lol:

Sometimes when a nail is red from over filing/damage its very tender and a layer of product can help to protect the nail while the damage is growing out and make the nail more comfortable for the client.

To be honest the damage is done...and leaving the nail naked isn't going to increase the recovry....the damage has to take its course and grow out.

Sorry to interrupt but I found this really interesting. I use gels. Question to you pro techs would a layer of fiber help strengthen a nail that has been over filed?

Sorry to interrupt but I found this really interesting. I use gels. Question to you pro techs would a layer of fiber help strengthen a nail that has been over filed?

It would offer some sort of support whilst the damage is growing out...when a nail is thin and red from over filing it can feel very tender every time its brushed against something....having a layer of product on will stop that tender feeling....just make sure the nail is kept short.

Whilst I very much agree with you that we are not doctors and should not diagnose I do believe that as trained nail technicians we should know enough about nails to be able to determine what is red from over filing/damage and what isnt....I probably know more about nails than my doctor does...:lol:

Sometimes when a nail is red from over filing/damage its very tender and a layer of product can help to protect the nail while the damage is growing out and make the nail more comfortable for the client.

To be honest the damage is done...and leaving the nail naked isn't going to increase the recovry....the damage has to take its course and grow out.

I would worry about having to file anymore on the nail(s) to take off the shine to apply more product, if the nail is w/o product. Doing a manicure and applying good quality stengthener and polish can protect the nail also. Time to agree to disagree, uh? :)

I would worry about having to file anymore on the nail(s) to take off the shine to apply more product, if the nail is w/o product. Doing a manicure and applying good quality stengthener and polish can protect the nail also. Time to agree to disagree, uh? :)

you would only have to remove shine if there was shine to remove...and even then with a 240 very gently you wouldn't be making the nails any worse....but sure we can agree to disagree...:hug:

I think that an inflamed or infected nail looks a lot different to that of one that has been subjected to over filing. (this is only my opinion).
I recently slightly over filed my own nail with my 'wrong hand' and totally agree that a layer of product is DEFINITELY required while the nail is healing. Any pressure on that ring of fire is too painful to bear.

Dear oh dear, what use would a professional be to a client if she/he couldn't solve their problems. :rolleyes: It is the very definition of the word professional.

A nail that is red is not necessarily inflamed ... it looks red because the plate has been thinned and you can see through it; it is tender because the plate has been thinned is is no longer offering the protection the nail bed and nerves are used to.

A thin protective overlay IS the answer despite what some may think or be too timid to do themselves (my god how many hundreds of times I have done this to be thanked profusely for it stopping the pain instantaneously). Any professional with an ounce of common sense can tell if something is raw, swollen, infected and when not to apply a light overlay. Your clients will thank you for helping.

We are supposed to be the experts are we not? If one does not feel expert enough to offer helpful safe services then don't but for those of us who have the knowledge and experience and do, then do the best you know how for your clients. Trust me they will thank you for it.

Latest posts

Back