A question to all

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that I can help out newbies as and when required....I'm not here so much as I used to be.....I used to be a newbie (and I will admit I got a bit paranoid back along) but now I guess I'm a bit of an oldie.....and I'm not a member of any clique....wherever they may be.....

I'm here on the site to ask questions....see my most recent thread....which I guess is not very interesting lol....and to offer advice whenever I can....

Geek on....ask away.....search the site!

I hope that I can help out newbies as and when required....I'm not here so much as I used to be.....I used to be a newbie (and I will admit I got a bit paranoid back along) but now I guess I'm a bit of an oldie.....and I'm not a member of any clique....wherever they may be.....

I'm here on the site to ask questions....see my most recent thread....which I guess is not very interesting lol....and to offer advice whenever I can....

Geek on....ask away.....search the site!

it is interesting cathie, you do some good threads ones that make you think

it is interesting cathie, you do some good threads ones that make you think

Ones that I don't blinking understand, can't answer and so learn when someone who is in the know does reply! Can't ask for more than that!

I have noticed something interesting about the replies on this thread. It's the geeks who always seem to give good advice and know what they're talking about who seem to be the ones that lack the confidence in posting. Maybe it's because they really think about what they say and how they say it. Food for thought.....

You could be Principal McGee out of Grease, and how cool is that, it even sounds Scottish!

Have to say that i am either air guitaring in the corner.. strutting my Status Quo moves on the dance floor.. or passed out under the table..
Mooooving on!:green:

I have been reading a certain Journal entry and it got me thinking about the newer members of this site and the less qualified techs,( Also anyone who would like to answer please keep it nice and constructive.)
So I would like you all to give some input into this thread my questions are
1. Do you feel that you can post without feeling inferior ????
I have been a member for quite some time, I don't tend to say much, but do feel comfortable when I do.
2. Do you get the answers you require ???
I normally search rather than ask, and normally find the answers I want doing it that way.
3. How friendly do you find the site ???
Very, most people on here are very welcoming and more than willing to help out when necessary, those who aren't very friendly don't seem to last very long and disappear.

I have to say that I am normally a quiet person and that is why I don't normally have a lot to say, but this site has given me some of the best advice about being a Nail Tech and which training I should get. I have also found the tutorials on this site to be invaluable and I have them printed off, filed and very well read. I found this site after I did my first lot of (not so good) training and it made me realise that it takes a lot more than 2 days to make me a good tech.

So thanks to each and everyone of you who ask and answer the questions!!

Hi,
being a newbie I just wanted to say how great I think this thread is.

It shows that people on here do care about what others think.

I have to admit I don't post very often mainly due to lack of confidence and not knowing as much as some of the more experienced geeks.:confused:

I think the posts have been very constructive and thought provoking to all of the members of the site.

I am very much a "wallflower" at the moment but I am eager to learn and have already learnt a lot from the site be it through asking questions or reading through threads with questions that interest me.

I do sense a bit of an air of tension sometimes but not so much towards me but just in the odd thread or post I have read but personally I have not had any snipey or offputting comments.

I am one of the sensitive ones and do sometimes get paranoid that I will get a comment that is very blunt but I can't say that I have to date and that is no doubt just me being self concious lol.:rolleyes:

Thank you for such a great thread Lellipop!:)

Sarah
xx

:hug::hug:

P/s sorry its a long one I kind of got carried away lmao:smack:

Ive recently come back to the site after being away for a couple of years and i can honestly say i feel its really changed. I do feel quite inferior sometimes or maybe 'dismissed' is a better word. Was considering starting a similar thread myself but then reconsidered thinking i might be targeted as a trouble maker. Having said that i still love the site as there are some very lovely people on here. Maybe its just a confidence thing for many of us?:cry:

As many of you are aware, Mrs Geek, the geeklins and moi' are away on holiday in the US. I was alerted to this thread and have spent the past hour reading through it, cross checking against a bunch of other things (i.e. journal entries, previous posts by posters in the thread, etc...) and have come to the conclusion that there is really no other way to put this...

Any long standing member will have read countless posts from members expressing their joy about this place. Countless posts about how people would have quit their career without this site, praises that their problems have been solved, thanks and adoration about new friends, responses, support, etc... So forgive me for wondering why we are discussing something that any long standing member would be aware of? Hmmmmmm.

The moderators often have long discussions about threads and issues pertaining to the site. There isn't always 100% agreement, but there is always 100% support. Moderator actions (heck dare I also say Admin actions) are not always 100% right, however in my years of hosting this site (and a couple other sites) as well as working with other non industry forums I can share this: This is one well balanced, kick ass moderator team that seldom EVER gets it wrong. When we do mess it up, it is the communities responsibility to alert the rest of team and myself in a constructive manner so that we can make sure we get it sorted. Hell, we are all human and we are all here to do the best that we can. Handling your disagreements in a professional manner is simple common sense.

This site isn't Utopia, but it isn't that far off either. If you do not feel that it is cutting the mustard, there are always options: Post and respond how you think it should be done (aka Lead By Example) or bail out (aka don't let the door hit you...) or start your own site (gee, haven't seen that one come and go before!). Just remember that there is a reason this site is the envy of the professional industry (as well as many other non industry related sites out there). It is because it is a great community with a great moderator team. That doesn't happen by chance - it happens through years of hard work by a team that is dedicated to helping others over themselves.

As with every site, there are 'cliques'. Here, there is really only one and it simply isn't worth joining as they are also known as the "hard done to's" and the "self exiled". Secretly I fantasize about naming and shaming them and their transparent purposes, but instead Ill skip stooping to their level and end with this thought:

This site is what you make it. Sure there are few silly rules, almost all of them are common sense. The rest are there to protect the members and users of the site from being manipulated and used. Since I am a "glass is half full kind of guy", I see that as a good thing. It is only a negative when twisted to meet someones silly agenda. Ignore stupid agendas and have a great time sharing and growing together. There just isn't enough time in life for anything else.

On that note, with the power vested in me, I now lock this thread. Go have some freaking fun!

nJoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back