Aaargghh! Leaking spray tan pots!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffacake

Malamute Geek!
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with the Maximist pots leaking when travelling/spraying??

I have 'duck taped' the holes up inside and still I am getting solution leaking from around the thread of the cup! It has caused me problems with solution running down the cup and dripping onto the floor :irked: lucky for me it was a laminate floor but I have now been putting a towel down on carpet to be on the safe side and it has caught a few drips! :grr:

I was originally told that I could not overtighten these pots (unlike the minimist) so I dont think that is the problem, I have been tightening them up so much that I sometimes struggle to unscrew them. I get solution leaking inside my bag when I am travelling too which is a pain even though I do my best to keep them upright.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I can solve this? I thought of wrapping some plumbers tape around the threads but hubby tells me that won't work as I would have to re-tape them every time I did them up.

I am loving my Maximist apart from this issue - any suggestions appreciated - or maybe there has been a miracle cure that I know nothing about?? :idea:

I have to say that I have been lucky, my pots have never really leaked!

I will put my thinking cap on & see if I can think of anything that may help!

My fake bake cup leaks all the bloody time and it drives me to distraction (a short journey for me, granted).
I think they're just really poor quality.

Tip No 3:

(only good for 1 or 2 last applications) - Superglue the lid in place.

Tip No 4:

QUOTE: When you can't get the lid off after following Tip No 3, buy a new system that doesn't leak

Tip No 5:

Only after Tips 3 and 4, sell it on Ebay as a "non-leaking cup but tricky to fill"

Tip No 6:

When your Ebay buyer asks for their money back, point them in the direction of the manufacturers of Maximist, they can help, "I could never fill the blinkin thing, that's why I sold it" QUOTE

Unless Iv read that wrong, and if I have Im very sorry, but thats awful, selling a faulty leaking product as "non-leaking" !!!!!!

No, no no no no - thats just wrong :suprised:

Mine has been doing this only when spraying though i now put a shower curtain down where i stand as i hadnt noticed first time this happened and would hate for it to go on carpet.

I'm having the same problem so I no how frustrating it is and how unprofessional it looks I'm in process of sending mine back so they can have a look at it.

I had the same problem but when I rang Sienna x they sent me a new cup it sometimes happens when the has been too tight and it ruins the threads so it causes it to leak they also sent me a new round rubber what goes in the gun and don't have that problem unless I do loads of tans in one day xx

sherrie(jaffacake) has said the problem is with the spare pots not the machine , the 3 spare pots are ancillaries to carry spare solution in, Dawn has sold 1000s of maxis and has only had 2 returned when she was selling the truespray, minimist ect t100 t200 ect they were no where near as reliable, the maxi is a damn good machine at a reasonble price,
The manufacturers have done something about it ! they have changed the lid gaskets on the spare pots,all the machines built in the last 6 months are now solid and thicker they no longer have the holes cut in them This has cured the problem on the newer machines, I have just got off the phone to them and the the new style gaskets are available, and are being sent out to me to distribute to any one who has a similar problem :biggrin:

Last edited:
I had the same problem but when I rang Sienna x they sent me a new cup it sometimes happens when the has been too tight and it ruins the threads so it causes it to leak they also sent me a new round rubber what goes in the gun and don't have that problem unless I do loads of tans in one day xx
i think by what your describing you have got the minimist machine not the maximist,
The Maximist was Designed by the same man who designed the Minimist Chris krammer,
He knew the problems with the minimist ie flimsy pot and poor gasket seals causing leaking and miss spray paterns, so when he designed the maximist he ironed out those problems the maxi has a deeper thread and more robust cup it can really be tightened up!
some therapists are still taking the old school advice to not over tighten the cups, as this was the case with the truespray-t200s minimist series of machines hence some leaking, if you tighten the cup up as tight as you can on a maximist, it will not leak,
the pot is under pressure thats how it works, air is pumped into the cup and when you pull the trigger it forces solution up the tube to be vapourised in the spray head, any one we train we show them how to correctly tighten the cup,
with the minimist if you over tighten it flattens the round white circular gasket hence leaking, miss spraying ect
the gasket seal on the maxi is much thicker and covers the whole of the surface of the gun hth

Hi Steve, that is good news about the new style gaskets! How do I go about getting my hands on these? My gun does leak though, even though I tighten the cup to within an inch of its life! But I think some of my cups are worse than others... the solution seems to get behind the gasket thing and travel down the thread then down the cup and drips onto the floor :Scared:

I-Tan, FYI, I do NOT shake my cup around like a graffiti artist and I only keep around 100ml in the cup! I need to travel with the solution as I am mobile, it is not practical to carry it all around in bottles only to have to keep pouring it out and trying to pour it back into bottles at the clients house, I think I would stand more chance of spilling it everywhere if I did that than if i dripped a bit on the towel! As for the superglue advice - Why didn't I think of that??? :rolleyes:

I would be interested to know what machine you use?

How can you 'LOVE' Maximist apart from this issue. You're obviuously p1ssed off by it otherwise your wouldn't have asked for help. Be honest about it, why promote Maximist if they won't help you sort out the issue? That's why warranty was invented. If you are outside the 12 month warranty, am surprised the blinkin thing is still working ????

Travelling intrigues me - leaking when travelling? Gun laying on its side, in a car, full of tan.... why? Keep it empty when travelling..... fill it up when spraying.

Here we go, Tips of The Day: -

Tip No 1:

Get a thin elastic band and wrap it around the top of the cup, (top of thread), then tighten the lid against it.

Tip No 2:

Don't fill the cup up so much and stop shaking it around like a Grafitti Artist when you spray

Tip No 3:

(only good for 1 or 2 last applications) - Superglue the lid in place.

Tip No 4:

When you can't get the lid off after following Tip No 3, buy a new system that doesn't leak

Tip No 5:

Only after Tips 3 and 4, sell it on Ebay as a "non-leaking cup but tricky to fill"

Tip No 6:

When your Ebay buyer asks for their money back, point them in the direction of the manufacturers of Maximist, they can help, "I could never fill the blinkin thing, that's why I sold it"

Note: - You think you got problems now - ! ? !

Are you taking the p**s??????
Your Tips are quite frankly rubbish. I love my Maximist even though I too get probs with the leaking cup. Have you never loved something, but one aspect of it annoys you???
You dont need to empty the cup every time-this wastes time after appt and during next appt. I keep some couch roll along the container in my bag to catch any unwanted drips during travel and just wipe around the cup if needs be before I start spraying.
Tip 2 is insulting-no professional would wave it around like a 'graffiti artist' and tip 5 is positively wrong.
If you dont have anything constructive to say, it usually best to say nothing at all.

I have a brand new 2011 5008 Maximist and it leaks from the pot whilst spraying amongst other problems! My supplier has told me that I'm screwing it on wrong but I dont see how. Before this I have had a T100 for the last 4 years which I have never had a problem with once (touch wood!!)

I am also having problems with the trigger not having much 'give' in it whilst spraying, the hose being too stiff and the spray pattern being two narrow. Starting to regret the purchase now :mad:

Are you taking the p**s??????
Your Tips are quite frankly rubbish. I love my Maximist even though I too get probs with the leaking cup. Have you never loved something, but one aspect of it annoys you???
You dont need to empty the cup every time-this wastes time after appt and during next appt. I keep some couch roll along the container in my bag to catch any unwanted drips during travel and just wipe around the cup if needs be before I start spraying.
Tip 2 is insulting-no professional would wave it around like a 'graffiti artist' and tip 5 is positively wrong.
If you dont have anything constructive to say, it usually best to say nothing at all.

I completley agree!! Xx

Oh dear, that doesn't fill me with hope then if your 2011 one still leaks :sad:

I have terrible trouble trying to screw cups on too, sometimes if I have to change solutions at a clients (i.e. two customers who both want different %) I can still be trying to screw the cup on what seems like 5 minutes later! This is what makes me think some of my cups must have slightly different threads cos it doesnt happen all the time. I have now marked the cups and the gun where the thread starts so I have something to line up to make it as easy as possible to screw them on quickly.

I find the hose very stiff too, miss my minimist hose which was much better, shame I had to change really, I did like my Minimist more, and it sprayed much less solution than the maximist! Just not a workhorse!

OMG Jaffacake I soooo agree with you! I thought it was just me. Everyone raves about the 5008 but so far I'm really disappointed with it. The hose on the 2011 is even worse as apparently they have upgraded it this year to 'commercial grade' hose. I was going to use the new 5008 as my main machine and my old one as a back up but I think it will be the other way round.

Any ideas with my poblem about the trigger not pulling back very far?? I've turned the dial up so that I've got enough coming out but there is no 'give' in the trigger. It makes it very hard to control as the solutions starts coming out as soon as the slightest touch is applied to the trigger.:rolleyes:

My trigger barely moves either, got it turned down as much as possible do that it sprays dryer. I marked the dial so I know that from being fully closed I turn it a quarter of a turn.

Any ideas with my poblem about the trigger not pulling back very far?? I've turned the dial up so that I've got enough coming out but there is no 'give' in the trigger. It makes it very hard to control as the solutions starts coming out as soon as the slightest touch is applied to the trigger.:rolleyes:

I have an old machine, couldn't tell you what it is, I bought it from Dee before she went to Canada, but my trigger hardly moves, it doesn't stop me giving a great tan though.
You do get used to it and once you do you'll find that when you've got a few tans to do, like a tan party, you'll have less ache in the hand and wrist from it.
i tan made me laugh, the comments were very tonuge in cheek:smack:
However, for more practical help try this.
Take the gaskets out of the lids put them in your washing up bowl and pour a kettle full of very hot water on top. wait a few minutes and then take them out and while they are still warm put them back in the lid and screw the pots on. Sometimes the gaskets get misshappen and warming them up softens them and makes it possible to mold them back into the correct allignment.
If that doesn't do the trick, then call Dawn and Steve and get some of the new gaskets sent out:hug:

This is what happened to me. I over tightened it and it leaked, Sienna sent me a new pot and touch wood, no problems. When travelling keep it empty. HTH

Chelliesnails, is it the maximist you have? The pots are designed to hold solution and so shouldn't leak, taking them all out empty defeats the object of having them.

I don't think hot water will help my washes,they've leaked from brand new :mad:

I-tan may have been joking but that post got my back up too! Tanning tip of the day: take everything he says with a pinch of salt!

I-tan may have been joking but that post got my back up too! Tanning tip of the day: take everything he says with a pinch of salt!

Agreed i have seen afew of his posts all with the same attitude.

Latest posts

Back