Aagh! Cat pee on leather sofa!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rouge

Reaction score
Our poor little, very elderly, gorgeous cat has had to be put down. :cry:

I found him this morning lying on the sofa crying and very distressed, his back legs had stopped working and he'd wet himself. He must have been lying there for a good few hours, bless his little heart. We'll miss him an awful lot.

We're now left though with a leather sofa that smells really badly of cat pee. Does anybody know a good way to remove it that won't destroy the leather? I've washed it with soapy water, just to clean the surface, but it's obviously soaked into the leather a bit, and I don't know how to deal with it. I've looked on the internet, but all the products people recommend are from America, and I really need something I can get hold of tomorrow.

Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks!

Our poor little, very elderly, gorgeous cat has had to be put down. :cry:

I found him this morning lying on the sofa crying and very distressed, his back legs had stopped working and he'd wet himself. He must have been lying there for a good few hours, bless his little heart. We'll miss him an awful lot.

We're now left though with a leather sofa that smells really badly of cat pee. Does anybody know a good way to remove it that won't destroy the leather? I've washed it with soapy water, just to clean the surface, but it's obviously soaked into the leather a bit, and I don't know how to deal with it. I've looked on the internet, but all the products people recommend are from America, and I really need something I can get hold of tomorrow.

Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks!

lemongrass essential oil will defo help, its a good one to use to eliminate odour.

:hug:

Aww, don't know about anything for the smell, but :hug: to you for your cat. Why don't you phone up where you bought your suite from and ask their advice, or any of the big leather furniture stores.

Really sorry to hear bout yourcat hun...one of the tips we tell people at work(i am a vet nurse) is to wash area with a solution of 50% BIO washing liquid 50% hot water...dry area then spray with surgical spirit...should sort you prob out hun...have used it on my own setee with no problems..

lemongrass essential oil will defo help, its a good one to use to eliminate odour.

:hug:
I would try this but I really can't bear the smell of lemongrass. Thanks though.
Aww, don't know about anything for the smell, but :hug: to you for your cat. Why don't you phone up where you bought your suite from and ask their advice, or any of the big leather furniture stores.
Good idea, will do that tomorrow

Really sorry to hear bout yourcat hun...one of the tips we tell people at work(i am a vet nurse) is to wash area with a solution of 50% BIO washing liquid 50% hot water...dry area then spray with surgical spirit...should sort you prob out hun...have used it on my own setee with no problems..
Is this ok to use on leather? Not so much worried about the washing liquid/hot water, but would the surgical spirit be ok?

Thanks ladies, I knew I'd get some good ideas from you xxx

have used it on mine and was fine..if you worried do a patch test in a discret area hun...to be honest the washing liquid/water should do the trick...think the surgical spirit is more for if you have other cats to stop them weeing on the area..xxx

I learnt from a doggy type program on the telly that washing powder mixed with water gets rid of the smell of pee from either cats or dogs. It was a woman that had a dog that refused to be house trained that was using it as when she used regular cleaners the smell went but the animal in question could still smell the amonia from the pee and would pee there again but once she use the washing powder solution the animal stopped peeing in the place she had used it.

.........I wonder if she managed to house train him in the end :lol:

HTH

Rachel

Bless ya. dont know about the smell but a big :hug: for the loss of your pet its awful eh? ive been there xxx

Thanks for all your lovely comments and hugs, everyone. It's very upsetting, he was a lovely old thing and we'll miss him loads.

I shall try the washing powder and hot water trick and see what happens. The smell doesn't seem so bad at the mo, but that's probably because the seat's not been sat on and it's cold. Worth a try, anyway.

Firstly, big :hug:'s for you ... it's so hard losing a family pet.

Secondly, try asking in your local pet shop if they have any products to remove the smell / stains from your leather sofa.

sorry to hear about your cat....

go to a pet store, you can get a special spray that will attack the bacteria that produce the scent, you spray it on and it eats the bacteria that produce the scent

Well, I've tried the bio liquid/hot water, and it's definitely better than it was. I'll leave it to dry properly and then see what it's like. I might try again later.

If it doesn't work, I guess it'll have to be a visit to the pet shop!

Latest posts

Back