My dog is peeing blood....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok,
I'm FREAKING out.
My pekeingese of 11yrs has blood in his urine...
He's a VERY quiet dog, never complains. Always been a rather calm dog. Even if he has to pee, just sits at the door looking at you until you look at him. NEVER barks unless someone is at the door, and then only for 2 secs. Once he gets greeted by the visitor, he's happy and hushes up.
EVERYONE loves him and wants to have him. All he wants to do is sit quietly in your lap and get some love. Even as a puppy, he was like this.

I am totally FREAKED out. I just had to put my cat of 13yrs down 1yr ago October last.... I'm still upset over it.
I'm taking him to see the vet as soon as hubby gets home, at about 6:15pm (our time, it's 4:40 now). We're dropping the girls off at my girlfriends, just in case...
I have to collect a urine sample (what fun:rolleyes: ).

I am soooooooooooooooo scared. Poor George... good, quiet, gentle dog....
I HOPE it's nothing serious and easily fixed with pills. But am inclined to think that it's not a uti as he's not at the door constantly asking to go. He rarely does, and has always been the sort to hold it a long time (I used to work outside the home, so he was used to holding it a long time) Now he knows that he can go anytime he wants....

He's old... that's NOT good.
My neighbor just put her dog down because of Cancer...........

I can't bear the thought, I'm crying just because of how afraid I am.
I almost want to cancel the appointment and pretend nothing is wrong... but that would be cruel.

Ok, maybe I'm panicking.. but he's OLD. And a purebred.. and they are such delicate critters....
Surgery for a dog his age would be a huge risk.. particularly with the history of pekes and their respiratory problems.

I just can't take one more thing going wrong right now... this would be the icing on the cake..............

He's going blind, has a bad hind left leg.. we call him Tripod sometimes because that's how he goes up and down the stairs. he has arthritis. I have to lift him up onto the couch now if he wants to sit with me.....

Please cross your fingers.
I'm totally freaked out.

Thanks for listening.
:hug:

He might just have a urine infection.Bad cystitis can cause the bladder lining to bleed.

Oh hun, please try not to panic, it could be due to a number of different things, the vet will soon tell you what they think. I know how you feel, animals are so important to us and are part of our family.
:hug: :hug: to you xxxxx

Victoria darling! Calm down! Without causing offence mate you need too.

The dog and kiddies will feel your stress and upset.

Do as you said take him to the vets, you can speculate but will not know until you get a diagnosis. OMGoodness, I know they are just dogs and just cats BUT they are also (to some of us) like having extra children and it is a worry!

I do really hope that your pooch is OK and please, please let us know how you get on and remember I am always here for you mate!!

Teri x:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks ladies!!!

I really need someone to tell me it's just a uti or cystitis.. that would be GREAT (considering the alternatives...)
I'm just watching the clock now.... I'm usually the sort that says "no point worrying, you'll just make yourself ill for nothing"... but here I am doing it.:rolleyes:

Yes, he IS just like a baby to me.
I just bought him a sweater the other day as I had him shaved late in the season, and the poor feller was cold. He looks soooooo darling in his black sweater. Will have to take a piccie!

He's my "boy" , loving me no matter what. When I'm ill.. he's in bed with me or on the couch. He ALWAYS knows when I need those smooches. He's my shadow.. follows me room to room ALLLLLLLLLLLL the time.. Used to bug me, but the thought of him NOT doing it...
I notice these days, he's slower to follow.. he'll wait to see if I come back, before getting up. His arthritis.. slows him down.
He'll stop halfway up the stairs..
I carry him a lot.

I just feel dreadful and I'm NOT ready to give him up yet.. and am hoping it's only pills he needs.. we can't afford any surgery :cry:

Ok, still panicking and need to stick my head on right. UGH :grr:

thanks!

My heart goes out to you Victoria, its awful when our pets are ill, not much longer now hun and he will be at the vets getting the very best of care and hopefully it will be something simple and easy to treat, got my fingers crossed for you and your furry little friend, big :hug: :hug: for you both x

V- I have everything crossed for you - I am sure everything will be OK.

We are here for you when you need us! :hug:

If it were my boy mate I would feel EXACTLY the same. I've only had my dog since June 2005 and I would cry for days if anything happened to him.

All I can do lovely is send massive :hug: to you and your family, remember you are not on your own.

Teri x:hug:

I really feel for you, pets are just as important as family.

I have everything crossed for you at this worrying time. :hug:

I feel for you babes I am going through a tough time with Jet and the love we have for our pets is one that is so different from an kind of human love.
I am praying that your boy as nothing seriously wrong with him xxxxxxxx:hug:

What is it with us lot and our pooches latey?

Hope your Georgie Porgie is ok. Thinking of you hun.. I know how hard it can be!:hug:

Victoria, mega mega hugs n snuggs n stuff to you, your family and George :hug:

I really hope that it is good news from the vet - all I can say is that I feel yours and lellipops pain over Jet xxx

Fingers crossed for you all xxxx

hun, don't panic, this has happened to my dog a couple of times and it was cystitus. feed him some dry food so he gets thirsty and make sure he has a full bowl of water tonight and every night from now on. take him to the vets as soon as poss (a) to rule out anything more serious and (b) because if it is cystitus its damn painful.

Victoria, I feel for you I really do, I have a black lab/rotweiler mix that's the same age as your George. My dog is very ill and has been for the last 4 years, he's been on medication, he has adenoids disease. He often passes blood in his stool, and it subsides, we just wait and hope and he always bounces back. I wake up everyday and wonder if this is the day I will find Keno gone. It literally breaks my heart, to see such a big bear of a dog so unable to live like he should. The vet is amazed that he's still around, he says this dog is living on love. He doesn't suffer in any way, he eats, wags his tail and plays just the same, people say we should put him down, I CAN'T.I think it's cruel, he's still with and the vet says he's not in any pain.

Sorry, I'm dumping over here but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you.

I really hope whatever your pooch has that it won't be anything serious and nothing more than an infection if that. Keep us posted hon, take care.

aj

:hug: Victoria,
I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that your George is ok, hope it is some easily fixed problem.
xxxx:hug: :hug: :hug:

BIG Hugs hope the little fella is ok xxxxxxxxx

Hope everything went well with you at the vetxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

:o

If you look in the dictionary.... you will see my ruddy face beside the words:
IDIOT, DUMB ASS, MORON, SILLY COW, TWIT, DORK, DUMMY, STUPID

Yes, that is what you will see.. My face as the definition.
Ok, quickly: he's more or less ok.
more or less.....
Good news and bad news.
Allow me to explain.

George went to the groomers 2wks ago. He was well overdue to be shaved. Now, most don't shave pekes and keep their coats lovely and long. With 2 kids, a house, a cat, a hubby, my business to run..... no time for nightly brushing and combing like I did when I first got him. So, shaving every few months it is.
BUT it's late in the season, he's usually done in the fall, and his coat grows in nice and manageable but WARM for the winter months, ok?
This is him shaved George under tree pictures from pets photos on webshots

And this is him as a wooly mammoth
02-Oct George,Storm,Rain pictures from pets photos on webshots
BUT his coat was even longer than in the 2nd picture, as he hadn't been done in the fall, as usual.. and quite a nasty mess:irked:

Ok, it's January now. Cold... tonight it's going to 40 below zero celcius. We montrealers tend to freeze our arses off.

Soooo my poochie is shivering, so I put one of the girl's old shirts on him, till I can buy him a doggie sweater. A WHITE one.

3days ago, I notice spots on his belly of his shirt. Looks like dried blood (and turns out it was) and I point this out to hubby. He says, nahh, it's just dirt. I say hmmmm I really think it's dried blood. Look at the colour?
He argues and says I'm too paranoid:rolleyes:

I bought him a new sweater (nice black one, will post pic of him tomorrow LOL).... he's much warmer now.
BUT still not himself.
Then I see red spots on kitchen floor. Hubby insists it's just juice.
I think it's more blood. Awfully red.

George acts funny today when it's time to go pee.
Walking weird.

He goes out, I go look.
There's fresh snow AND BRIGHT RED SPOTS IN THE SNOW:!:

OK NOW I'M FREAKING OUT cause instead of going with my instinct... I just listened to my hubby, so I'm mad at myself.

Now.. keep in mind: George has a bad hind left leg.. his tendon is loose and the patella pops out now and then.. he tends to be a tripod on the stairs.. so already walks funny sometimes...

Hubby gets home.. by this time.. George is walking very weird.. Won't follow me anymore. Just sits in the kitchen.

We haul him off to the vet.

Drum roll please............

Absolutely NOTHING WRONG with his wizzer. It's his FOOT:!: :grr:
Now, apparently, where purebreds are concerned, breeders often have the rear hindclaws removed (the claws that are farther up the paw/leg? know what I mean? I forget what they're called. Dew claws I think?). And George always had a funny dry patch there, with no fur.
As per the vet, the groomer must have shaved too close, and knicked/irritated it, and then George started 'worrying it' by gnawing away at it.

Soooooooo NO BLOOD FROM THE WIZZER... no huge big bad infection.

BUT

the vet did find something new. A heart murmur.
So, while I'm pleased about the wizzer...I'm bummed about the murmur. She says I'll need to watch to see if things tire him out in a way that they didn't before, etc...
That he could be developing congenital heart failure?:eek:

She prescribed cream for his foot, a cone for his head so he'd stop worrying his 'dew claw' that's not even there, and pain killers for his arthritis so that he can at least hop up on the couch and join me, even if he doesn't run a marathon (well, neither do I, hence the choice of a SMALL dog LOL)

So poor George is in his carrier, with his cone that I'm tempted to decorate so he can see the darn thing.
He's going blind with cataracts (sp?), and with the cone being clear and not white, he's having some troubles. So perhaps I'll decorate it and he can be my clown poochie for a few days.
Poor bugger.
As if he wasn't insulted enough to have to wear a sweater - he's still giving me "the look" for that:confused: .

Soooooooooo after having said alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of that, a BIG HUGE GIGANTIC thanks to all of you for caring enough to give me your support and for letting me know I'm not crazy for panicking and that it is normal.
:hug: :hug: :hug:
Now, I'm just about to go searching online for info re: heart murmurs... at least I know he's not in any immediate danger... and we can all cuddle on the couch tomorrow while I paint polka-dots on his cone.

Will post a pic tomorrow:green:

Love ya all so much, and I'm proud to consider you my friends
xoxoxo

Didnt I tell you how much I love your posts! You always crack me up and this one is a humdinger!!!!
On a nicer note, glad that Georges wizzer is healthy and hope the leg heals up soon.
(Privately still laughing very hard!)
xxxx:hug:

Rachel........

I gotta laugh at myself.
If you had seen me sitting here, crying, in a panic.
6 years ago, while pregnant with my eldest, my hubby and I put down his 5yr old cat with chronic UTI's and crystals as he'd cost us 4000$ over only 2 years between special food, special meds... trips to the vet... and he was at the vet EVERY month.. That's all I could think of. We had put him down as he was constantly suffering, and we were expecting a baby, and really couldn't afford the expense any more.

I called my girlfriend, in tears, asking her to watch my girls in case something terrible was wrong, I didn't want them to see me upset... because with my animals, I do tend to carry on terribly (with people too of course :lol: ) when something is wrong, when I first find out.

Sooooo please, go ahead, laugh your head off at me.
I'm well aware of what a complete crazy fool I've been.:wink2:

then after all of that, I came home and cried in relief, with Georgie washing my face, and my girls all worried about me anyway hahaha

I'll never live this one down.
:lol:

Latest posts

Back