My dog is peeing blood....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just never know about how a heart murmer will affect your dog. I bought and fell in love with a cute white fluffy samoyed. I took her home from the breeders at 7 weeks or so. At about 8 weeks of age I took her to the vet, who informed me that my dog, Ayla, had a heart murmer. I was so upset. He suggested that I should return her to the breeders and ask for a new pup or for a refund. Well I cried and cried!! There was no way in the world I was going to give this cute little ball of fluff away, I was in love with her!! The vet said that she will likely live a 'quieter' life and will likely die at an earlier age.

Well guess what, Ayla was the lead dog on my sled team. She was such a hard worker and so so smart. When she was at her peak age, she was training everyday about 10 - 15 km. She was in awesome shape. Let me tell you that this condition did not slow her down at all.

Sadly enough she did pass away but she was 17 years old! The vet that initially told me about this condition could not believe it when he saw her (for a bladder infection) 3 months before she died.

You know I think she always knew that I believed in her and as a gesture of thanks she blessed us with 17 wonderful (but busy) years!!!

I hope this story makes you feel warm!!

Don't feel silly Victoria, you were right to be worried and to take Georgie to the vets straight away, many would have left it a few days to see if it cleared up. Georgie did have a problem that needed treating and you have seen to that. I am sure Georgie will be feeling better in a couple of days and knowing about the possible Heart Murmour could well extend his life as he will be getting treatment.

Now here is a story. When our Dottie was a puppy, Mark my hubby used to get home from work before me, he used to feed them before coming to pick me up, well I got a phone call at work it was Mark panicking like mad, Dottie had, had her dinner but she was pawing her face like crazy and she was really crying. My reply ring the Vets then pick me up on the way. He did, I said let me see if I can see what is wrong with her, thinking bitten tongue, broken tooth or something, what did I find, a Shreddie stuck to the roof of her mouth, a quick flick and she was fully back to normal. Why he thought giving her a couple of shreddies in her dinner I will never know. Obviously the vets appointment was cancelled and from that day to this none of them ever get shreddies.

Joan

Oh hun i know exactly how u feel, wish u luck and give u BIG HUG:hug:

Victoria it just shows your concern for George glad it isnt too bad :hug: Jet is also wearing a clear cone but only at night because she is such a messer if I am not about her stitches would soon be out.

Poor you and George.

I really hope it's something and nothing and I can fully understand your fears and worries. I have only had Tyler (my lovely fluff ball of a cat) for 5 years but I couldn't imagine him being around.

Fingers crossed for you Victoria.:hug:

Poor you and George.

I really hope it's something and nothing and I can fully understand your fears and worries. I have only had Tyler (my lovely fluff ball of a cat) for 5 years but I couldn't imagine him being around.

Fingers crossed for you Victoria.:hug:

Er didn't see the earlier post :zzz: must have been doozin but I hope his little tootsie heals soon. x

It's better to be safe than sorry !

I'm pleased it's not as bad as you initially thought :hug:

Sending you big hugs, Hope he's feeling better soon.:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I bet that you are relieved hun, don't worry about looking stupid, it's obvious that you care very much for your doggy and I think that's lovely. Hope he gets better soon xx:hug:

Victoria, I am so pleased that the dogs "dinky" is ok!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know much about heart murmers in pets (or humans actually), I'm sure you'll find out everything you need to know.

I personally would be inclined to mention it to the groomers also as they have nicked your poor doggy and you have had to take him to the vets because of it. Yes granted you are now aware of the heart murmer but they need to know that they should be a little more careful with him.

I can't go round nicking my clients with files! lol .

I really liked the pics of him and he does look sooooo lovely with a long coat, all snuggly.

Big :hug: Teri x

So it all seems pretty good news, those rear dew claws should be removed within the first few weeks, front ones are ok, i had to make the decision with my new puppy when he was born, but thankfully he only had front ones.

I'm so glad that he's okay, and now you've found out about the heart murmur that can only be a good thing as it's been diagnosed and you can do something about it. :hug:

It always better being safe, than sorry, wishing his "claw" a speedy recovery.

I hope your baby is ok.. and murmer is nothing:hug:

But as for his wizzer (or what ever you called it) its my turn to laugh at you.. you silly sausage worrying like that (but i can see why):lol::lol:

Thats really good to know it isnt something serious and im so pleased for you all, lots of dogs and humans live happy lives with heart murmours, i had one dog that was born with one and never had a problem with her just had to keep a close eye on her and not let her get too giddy, easier said than done but she was fine and had a long happy life, :hug: for you Victoria and a big sloppy kiss for your little man X

Thanks so very much everyone!!!

Really, thanks! I was in such a tizzy (you never would have guessed :rolleyes: )

I think the worst is I felt so guilty for A) not reacting on gut instinct when I first noticed it and B)for not being as regular with his appointments as usual.
Up until 2 yrs ago, he was at the vets like clockwork, getting the works. Even his teeth cleaned. Now, our budget doesn't allow for it... so..
But then, I haven't been to my doctor neither, recently....

My girlfriend's daughter has a heart murmur. She's 14. Plays on two hockey teams, one of them a boy's team. She's a kick-ass goalie! Awesome kid, hope my girls turn out like her.

But in the case of George, the vet seemed inclined to think that since one had never been detected before, and since he is old... it's likely his heart is getting old.

She told me to keep him quiet and not tire him out (that's easy:lol: I dont like being tired out myself lol).
I'll keep my eyes on him... and will DEFINATELY call the groomer today and let her know what happened.
I 'think' what happened is this:
He had thick matts behind his ears (he's prone to getting knots there) and she had to take it quite short. So he'd be the same length everywhere and not look patchy, she did the same length all over. Shorter than usual.
He has a very hard time with his hind left leg and doesn't like to put his weight on it. I think while she did the right one, and he was left standing on his left.. he probably wobbled and she probably didn't see that she'd 'caught' him.

I'm sure she'll feel terrible. But of all the groomers he's been to, she's the kindest and does the best job. Nothing for me to touch up or complain about. And she ADORES him, wants to keep him :lol: He has never come back stressed or nervous from a visit with her, unlike at other places. I'll let her know so she can watch it for next time.

Thanks again!! You're all such dolls, and loved hearing the stories.

I had a Samoyed too, when I was a kid. Miss him immensely! He was a sweetie! We had a sled too, (just for us kids to sit on, as he was pulling alone) and we had to hide it in the summer, or he'd drag it banging up the stairs and bouncing all over, wanting to go pulling :lol:

:hug: :hug: :hug: to everyone.

I am glad his man hood is OK, but sad about the heart murmor (sp) - at least you know about it now and will always be aware of it!

big :hug:

Good luck,hope ya dog is ok xxxxxxxxxx

Vic, dont be embarrassed.. you had every right to be worried.
We are all glad to hear its only his dew claw area. (by the way.. I have learnt something new.. I only thought back dew claws were on Rottweilers!)LOL

Anyways.. with regads to the heart murmour.

On the check up just after Levi was spayed at 7 years old.. the vet told me she had a heart murmour too.

She has just turned 9 and its never developed into a heart problem at all. (And Boxers are PRONE to Heart Probs)

I think all dogs develope heart murmours that go unnoticed.

Just recently you'll remember she was back in for the twisted gut op she luckily survived and on the check up again, the vet said, oh just a little murmour there but nothing to worry about.

So I wouldnt start worrying about it. As long as you dont all of a sudden start feeding him saturated fats, clogging his arteries.. and keep him on his usual healthy diet and walks etc.. he'll be fine I'm sure.

:hug: :hug: Glad it was nothing serious. xxxx:hug: :hug:

Glad he's ok, maybe it was fate that you took him, all these things happen for a reason. Wishing his poor leg better and i hopefully the murmor(sp) wont affect him to much xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vic, dont be embarrassed.. you had every right to be worried.
We are all glad to heard its only his dew claw area. (by the way.. I have learnt something new.. I only though back dew claws were on Rottweilers!)LOL

So I wouldnt start worrying about it. As long as you dont all of a sudden start feeding him saturated fats, clogging his arteries.. and keep him on his usual healthy diet and walks etc.. he'll be fine I'm sure.

:hug: :hug: Glad it was nothing serious. xxxx:hug: :hug:

:lol:
I learned today that dew claws are funny things. Dogs may be born with them, they may not. And it's not particular to a breed. There is no rhyme nor reason to it. Funny thing, aye?
Apparently, most breeders remove them as often, dogs hurt themselves by catching them on something, and that's the only reason they are removed.

Poor George has a boring and bland diet. Same food, every single day. Same quantity. No table-scraps, nothing of the like. His treat is 'pedigree marrow bones' as they are the only ones he'll eat aside from the 'beggin strips' that supposedly taste like bacon:rolleyes: :lol:
Exercise... hmmm that's a four letter word in our house.
However, I live in a two story cottage style house, so with 2 flights of stairs of about 12-16 steps each, and his penchant for following me about... he gets lots of exercise there.
Neither of us are big fans of walking. I'm a fast walker, and his poor short legs can't keep up:lol: We get to the end of the street, and he's done haha.. Not to mention, that bad leg makes it hard for him. Been troubling him since he was about 6.
So, it's the back yard for him.
He doesn't mind. He likes to lay and yawn and sunbathe anyway hehehehe he's always been a quiet lazy dog.. wouldn't even chase balls. Just wants to sit and cuddle.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, and thanks for sharing about other dogs having heart murmurs. It's reassuring.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back