Acetone in small bottles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes this is the company I found too, seems very good value.
I think I will give them a ring tomorrow to see if they can print labels to go with them..I don't mind paying a few pennies more if it covers my ass :green:[/QUOTE

I would be interested to hear if they are able to supply the labels too.
Thanks

Acetone when used as intended in our industry has been proven to be perfectly safe (removing enhancements every 2 weeks versus someone soaking daily).

I don't particularly agree with retailing solvents because I can easily foresee what will be in the Daily Mail the first time a client gets a flash back from using it in the vicinity of an open flame.

Saying that I understand the requests for smaller sizes but here is the rub: 95% of what you're paying for is packaging, labelling and filling costs. To make a 100ml size bottle is a savings of pence on a 250ml bottle.

Be very careful giving/selling this stuff not because it is inherently dangerous (its one of the safest solvents we use) but because a consumer is not educated in the proper handling or disposal of it.

We teach with files. I know it's crazy to think to use files and nail machines in this age of easy soak off gels and acrylics. However we are not willing to risk exposure to Acetone to our clients. As Doug Schoon says "some small levels may absorb into the bloodstream, though they are below permissable level". Are you kidding me? Every person's body and tolerances are differant. If you want to risk it, that's up to you. We do not. If I had a lady who every couple of weeks came in and had her nails soaking in Acetone, after 20 years I shudder to think what her kidneys and other organs would look. In human bodies your liver can't get it out of your body so it stays in. Just because some people think it's easier to soak off, doesn't mean it should be done. Just be careful out there ok?:)

I find it really odd when people dismiss fact in favour of personal opinions and fear but then again, thats just moí. I just hope you are positioning it as such for students - after all they are the future of the industry!

Acetone when used as intended in our industry has been proven to be perfectly safe (removing enhancements every 2 weeks versus someone soaking daily).

I don't particularly agree with retailing solvents because I can easily foresee what will be in the Daily Mail the first time a client gets a flash back from using it in the vicinity of an open flame.

Saying that I understand the requests for smaller sizes but here is the rub: 95% of what you're paying for is packaging, labelling and filling costs. To make a 100ml size bottle is a savings of pence on a 250ml bottle.

Be very careful giving/selling this stuff not because it is inherently dangerous (its one of the safest solvents we use) but because a consumer is not educated in the proper handling of it.

I agree my comment wasn't meant against Shellac, it was an example.

Acetone is in so many medications as a delivery system (as it evaporates, often harmlessly) leaving behind the desired ingredients.

I feel very safe using acetone, but in a clients hands it can be a nightmare.

I always recommend non-acetone remover for my clients, but use acetone for removing polish in the salon, hell, I get that polish of in 10 secs, clients have no idea how to take polish off and tend to spread it almost up to their elbows taking almost a minute for each nail.

I actually teach my clients how to take off polish and how to apply polish, because neither of them come with instructions and every client has their own idea how to do each process.

The things we use acetone for in the salon should be "paid" services by a qualified technician, there should be no need for a client to have acetone.

i as at tescos other day b4 i went to college , and i noticed on beauty isle they do tiny bottles of acetone for £1.74 x

I really do not see how on the MSDS on Acetone which says as precautionary protection should wear splashproof goggles, faceshield and neoprene or rubber gloves constitutes as our personal preferance in what we teach. If these MSDS sheets are nothing but fodder and someone decides that a chemical is ok. I guess we may as well use it and not worry about any long term effects. In this day of all natural and more natural thinking, I am very discouraged to be told from people not to worry about it, everything is fine, it's a safe solvent. Whatever. Go with your own conscience, we are fine with ours. "Educate Yourself is" our company motto, sure seems approriate in this case.:)

I always recommend non-acetone remover for my clients, but use acetone for removing polish in the salon, hell, I get that polish of in 10 secs, clients have no idea how to take polish off and tend to spread it almost up to their elbows taking almost a minute for each nail.

I agree. FWIW, the solvents in non acetone removers could be considered worse and always recommend Acetone based enamel remover on solvent resistant systems (i.e. NOT wraps) as it will cause less damage to the nail and enhancement than rubbing NA remover for a prolonged period of time.

I really do not see how on the MSDS on Acetone which says as precautionary protection should wear splashproof goggles, faceshield and neoprene or rubber gloves constitutes as our personal preferance in what we teach. If these MSDS sheets are nothing but fodder and someone decides that a chemical is ok. I guess we may as well use it and not worry about any long term effects. In this day of all natural and more natural thinking, I am very discouraged to be told from people not to worry about it, everything is fine, it's a safe solvent. Whatever. Go with your own conscience, we are fine with ours. "Educate Yourself is" our company motto, sure seems approriate in this case.:)

If you base your opinion regarding a product being unhealthy because of the MSDS sheet, what products DO you consider safe? I am going to assume those that you haven't read the MSDS on.

I'm not being confrontational, just saying that reading precautionary handling procedures (which do not take into account the volume you are working with and will almost always defer to worst case scenario like bulk handling)does not offer insight into the safety level of any chemical (which technically most "natural" substances are). Everything has a safety level and context (rather than fear) is key to making informed decisions.

Aspirin is a chemical safe for intended use and even recommended to help prevent some health issues. However if you weren't aware of the dangers of taking too much, you could come down with a nasty case of death. That doesn't make Aspirin dangerous, it makes ignorance dangerous!

Hope that helps shed some light on my point of view :)

I understand your point of view, and I wasn't meaning to be confrontational either. I originally come from an industry where you are specificly trained in WHMIS. Which is for hazardous workplace materials safety. The MSDS really means the differance between life and death. We all have a saying "Safety First". I believe that is true in all professions, not just industrial. We err on the side of caution, not out of fear. Hope that clears some things on my end. Have a good one. Just be careful. Not afraid.:lol:

I agree wholeheartedly

!Same being Mobile I would love this!!!

p.s what web site can I order the mini solar oils and sent overseas? and other products?

thanks xxxxxxx

Come on CND, Bio Sculpture, etc,etc PLEASE.
We are all asking for SMALL 30 ml retail bottles of gel remover to sell to clients who just need to take one set of overlays off or one nail if they have an accident & they cant manage to get in for us to remove.
It's better than biting off a catch which they do at the moment.
The bigger bottles just mean they will remove all the time not just in an emergency.

I was meaning to Quote this one.
not to sell but for me to carry as being mobile there is a lot of things to take about me on my little scooter :wink2:
if anyone know if I can order online overseas?
xxxx

I ran out of acetone a few weeks ago and couldn't get to my wholesaler. I went into a local bog standard chemist and they sold me a properly packaged, properly labelled 100ml bottle for £1. If you really want to sell it to your clients this seems the easiest way - you could even turn a small profit on it!

However, if your client really needs to get one Shellac or gel polish nail off themselves, why not tell them to use ordinary acetone polish remover - sure it will take longer but they are not on salon time!

The companies quoted earlier in this thread as selling small bottles seem to only do very large quantities. Do any of you really think you will sell or need that many?

I noticed on another nail tech's website the other day full instructions on how to remove Gelish DIY style!!!

I am amazed that some nail techs do not want their clients to be dependant on them for repairs and removals - I want mine back in the salon! Are hairdressers selling small scissors or colour touch up kits?

Salpep, nobody was implying that you or your clients were stupid. They were trying to tell you that if you retail a solvent without the correct safety info and ingredients list etc. and someone does have an accident with it, be sure that the injured party's insurance company will find you and sue your a**e off :wink2: Is it worth the risk?

WARNING. Please be very careful. U think u are getting acetone for nails but it might not be the right stuff. My dad got me some fron his school as a caretaker. This really dried out the nails and left bad white marks on nails that seemed to penetrate through the nails and then had to grow out. It must have been some sort of higher grade acetone and def should not be used on nails so be careful where u but ur acetone. Ax

This is a older post..but as I started I would just like to say...

That I decided against giving clients small bottle of acetone to remove.

Why did I decided that? Because Im about making money and giving them small bottles to remove means Im losing out! Also I could see accidents happening..for example them spilling it on thier carpets and saying to me "Oh I didn't know that it would dis-colour my brand new carpet" OR " I only put the acetone filled wipe down on the floor for a second and now my wood floor has a nice patch on it" :rolleyes:

Sooo I like the fact I have never had to claim on my insurance and want it to stay that way lol :biggrin:

This is a older post..but as I started I would just like to say...

That I decided against giving clients small bottle of acetone to remove.

Why did I decided that? Because Im about making money and giving them small bottles to remove means Im losing out! Also I could see accidents happening..for example them spilling it on thier carpets and saying to me "Oh I didn't know that it would dis-colour my brand new carpet" OR " I only put the acetone filled wipe down on the floor for a second and now my wood floor has a nice patch on it" :rolleyes:

Sooo I like the fact I have never had to claim on my insurance and want it to stay that way lol :biggrin:

Good call :biggrin:

I saw at the Excel show that Jessica do small removal kits that the client can buy to take home...it looked very professional, just need the other companies to follow suit. It is another retail thing after all

I saw at the Excel show that Jessica do small removal kits that the client can buy to take home...it looked very professional, just need the other companies to follow suit. It is another retail thing after all

Umm... having said that I don't know why you would all want to sell removal kits, I am now thinking I could sell them for the same price as a salon removal!! I am female - I have the right to change my mind :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back