Acrylics still not sticking, please help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you upload a picture of a finished set head on and side view preferably without colour? I would like to see your zones. And the book willowrose suggested is one of the best out there I think every nail tech starting out should have a copy ;-) hey even I have a copy and I've been doing nails for years!
I tried but for some reason it won't let me choose a file, nothing happens when I click it (only on phone as don't have computer) I don't have side view images of my nails since doing the training but I will take some next time I do nails if I can upload them.

I tried but for some reason it won't let me choose a file, nothing happens when I click it (only on phone as don't have computer) I don't have side view images of my nails since doing the training but I will take some next time I do nails if I can upload them.
Just used Internet browser instead of app and although it would work to upload an image, all my images are too large, so I'll make sure the settings are lower when I do next photos.

Are they lifting around the cuticle?

Willowrose is trying to HELP you. For free. I have personally spent $16000 on my career choice. If a book might help, get the book.

So are you tipping? Or sculpting? Or are we talking overlays? And as coco says, have people said whether the nails start to lift at the cuticle or separate from the free edge first? Or come off clean leaving no trace or bits?

We need clues!!

Are you confident your product is far enough away from the skin? :)

So are you tipping? Or sculpting? Or are we talking overlays? And as coco says, have people said whether the nails start to lift at the cuticle or separate from the free edge first? Or come off clean leaving no trace or bits?

We need clues!!

Are you confident your product is far enough away from the skin? :)

The suspense is killing me blossom [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Is there never a point at which the answer is: you need more help than we can give.

Nails are "not sticking" (!) 5 months after qualifying.

On the hair forum if people can't ask in a professional manner they aren't advised. I think they take it a bit far but in essence the policy is about helping people to help themselves. Rather than doing the work for them. I am definitely an advocate of that.

The op's attitude in post #14 should be enough to alter further responses & indicates a mindset which should not be encouraged in my opinion.

A forum is not meant to replace entry level training.

Could it be the technique? I was taught to put brush in monomer, wipe on side then wipe on lint free wipe or tissue then draw a small circle in the powder to pick up a medium sized bead and start with zone 1 then zone 2 and finally zone 3 also I forgot to mention in my first response that I use primer before applying acrylic to dehydrate the nail plate and there have been times I have forgotten this but funnily enough I forgot the primer on my latest client and hers have been fine
Firstly I would question why you were taught to drain (waste) monomer on a lint free pad prior to picking up your powder. Very wasteful in my opinion and a completely unnecessary step.

Also primer doesn't dehydrate, you need a separate product to dehydrate prior to applying your primer.

Sorry to be harsh but To be 100% honest with you, your problem is training with next step not your products.

The training isn't with quality products, the trainers are probably not much more knowledgeable than the students and they rush through what other brands would take weeks/months to teach you.

I'd get I touch with them if I were you as you shouldn't be having these problems. Teething problems yes, but you should have walked out of there feeling pretty confident about application & longevity of the enhancements you are producing x

I do feel sorry for people that have booked and completed training in good faith though and then the course has been inadequate. such a rip off. But how are you to know when you finish the course that it wasn't enough until you find out your nails aren't lasting?

I'm amongst the first of us to withhold help if someone obviously untrained and basically looking to do their own nails to save themselves going to a salon (and there's a fair bit of that it seems to me) comes on asking basic questions.

Is there any harm in trying to help a little? Sure, it might well be that the OP needs another course or perhaps some one-to-one training but it might be something simple?

btw cazdiane do you mind if I ask how long your course was?

Willowrose is trying to HELP you. For free. I have personally spent $16000 on my career choice. If a book might help, get the book.
It's not helpful being condescending and putting me down, there was no need for that I was only asking for advice!

Hi - so sorry you've had this experience and I sympathise as I was just the same - think it was the same initial training I had too and it wasn't cheap.
However I knew I wasn't prepared enough so took the step to save again and tray with CND- had to wait til summer hols and travel over 2 hrs each way each day. Having researched at the time i felt it was best as if I couldn't get results - I'd wasted my money anyway.
Couple of questions - are you using a cuticle remover as well as pusher as true cuticle is not obvious on nail plate Try this video

Also I found patting acrylic on was key to good adhesion.
Stress area of nail - arch must be strong enough too.
You can always go back to CND fur 1:1 sessions - probably less than the cost of 2 sets of nails - not sure if you have to train with them to access the 1:1
Hope that helps - we are all here to support each other so don't worry xx

I still haven't qualified but I have completed my training, I'm working on my portfolio before my review day so luckily clients aren't wasting their money on me yet. I'm doing a sculpting course in a couple of weeks but I'm talking tipping at the moment. It started with them lifting at the cuticle but now they come clean off, would etching with a 180 grit file be the answer as someone earlier suggested?

Hi - so sorry you've had this experience and I sympathise as I was just the same - think it was the same initial training I had too and it wasn't cheap.
However I knew I wasn't prepared enough so took the step to save again and tray with CND- had to wait til summer hols and travel over 2 hrs each way each day. Having researched at the time i felt it was best as if I couldn't get results - I'd wasted my money anyway.
Couple of questions - are you using a cuticle remover as well as pusher as true cuticle is not obvious on nail plate Try this video

Also I found patting acrylic on was key to good adhesion.
Stress area of nail - arch must be strong enough too.
You can always go back to CND fur 1:1 sessions - probably less than the cost of 2 sets of nails - not sure if you have to train with them to access the 1:1
Hope that helps - we are all here to support each other so don't worry xx

I haven't used cuticle remover on extensions only on a manicure as this is what I was told so only use pusher when doing extensions.

Oh, I thought you said you'd completed training? Are you doing case studies now then?

Using lower than a 240 removes more of the natural nail than you need to so not recommended as far as I'm aware

I do feel sorry for people that have booked and completed training in good faith though and then the course has been inadequate. such a rip off. But how are you to know when you finish the course that it wasn't enough until you find out your nails aren't lasting?

I'm amongst the first of us to withhold help if someone obviously untrained and basically looking to do their own nails to save themselves going to a salon (and there's a fair bit of that it seems to me) comes on asking basic questions.

Is there any harm in trying to help a little? Sure, it might well be that the OP needs another course or perhaps some one-to-one training but it might be something simple?

btw cazdiane do you mind if I ask how long your course was?
My course was partly online and part practical so I had lots of videos to watch first to have some knowledge before practical training, then the training was completed over 3 days and now working on portfolio before review day where I will have exam so to speak and find out if I pass but the way it's going I'm not sure I will :-(

My course was partly online and part practical so I had lots of videos to watch first to have some knowledge before practical training, then the training was completed over 3 days and now working on portfolio before review day where I will have exam so to speak and find out if I pass but the way it's going I'm not sure I will :-(

so has anyone sat down with you and shown you or watched your technique at all? And are they going to for the exam?

Oh, I thought you said you'd completed training? Are you doing case studies now then?

Using lower than a 240 removes more of the natural nail than you need to so not recommended as far as I'm aware
I have completed my training but haven't done exam yet, I have to put a portfolio together showing the different nail services etc..and take it to exam with me.

so has anyone sat down with you and shown you or watched your technique at all? And are they going to for the exam?
Yes the trainer sat down and showed us first then I specifically asked her to watch me as I'd been having trouble and she said what I was doing was fine

Yes the trainer sat down and showed us first then I specifically asked her to watch me as I'd been having trouble and she said what I was doing was fine
so are you confident your product placement is not touching the skin around eponichium/sidewalls?

Latest posts

Back