Advice needed from all extensions geeks please, re:Balmain....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endless

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I use all kinds of hair for extending hair, depending on the clients budget.

Ive been doing Hair extensions now for around 10 years,i like to think i know pretty much everything about extensions,and Im always keeping upto date with new methods,training,new companies,hair,glues, fashions, trends, news& media etc............(everything i can)

I do most hair and beauty services/ treatments, but my main passion is hair extensions.

Ive been using quite alot of Balmain recently, alot of my lower end of the budget clients have been treating themselfs for crimbo, so i thought i would look at doing some training with them.
I always believe the best way to get the most benefits from a product is to train with them.
Also my friend had his salon train with them,and he recommended it.
So i ordered an information pack, had a look, then recieved a call from a lady from balmain,who was actually a little rude about a couple of personal things, but was ok when i put her straight about them, and she apolagised.

Then She then said that she had had a look at my pics on my website,and noticed that i extend from very short, to long, and gave me a whole speach on how this "ruins" the hair,and that if i trained with them i wouldnt be able to do this?

I totally understand why she said this,and i dont extend from very short, shortest i will go is probably around shoulder length.Ive been extending hair for a long time,and i know this doesnt ruin the hair, alot of my clients have been with me for years,and there hairs are lovely. I told her this,and i also said 1 of my clients ( who is actually my mum) hair was around 3 inches short when i first started doing her extensions, now is around 12 inches,and its in brilliant condition.Which she seemed in dis-belief about?

Im all for learning from other people, hence my wanting for training, when im already experienced, and hence my love for salon geek,

I suppose my question is, is the course worth doing, or not? is there truth in what she said, and am i just being too cock-sure to listen to her? maybe im living blissfully ignorant?

Thanks for reading all that! and any opinion/advice will be greatly recieved,
Thanks,
Kate x

i think you do what works for u to be honest
this woman was probably trying to make u think ur current way isnt the right way therefore trying to get u to book their course
im a believer in if its not broke dont try and fix it have a look about at different places im finding it really hard to find a good hair supplier im at my wits end and feel like giving up on extensions so dont go changing something thats working there a company called km training and they seem really good heard good comments on here about them to and they do different methods maybe worth a try looking at their website xx

Hi Hon,
Thanks for the reply,
but i really dont need any training from the likes of KM,I do micro-rings, weaves, hot fusion, cold fusion, shrinkies, I was only looking at Balmain, as ive been using there hair alot recently.
p.m me if you like,and i will tell you my recomendations of supliers : )
Kate x

i think you do what works for u to be honest
this woman was probably trying to make u think ur current way isnt the right way therefore trying to get u to book their course
im a believer in if its not broke dont try and fix it have a look about at different places im finding it really hard to find a good hair supplier im at my wits end and feel like giving up on extensions so dont go changing something thats working there a company called km training and they seem really good heard good comments on here about them to and they do different methods maybe worth a try looking at their website xx

Hi
I use celebrity elite and its brilliant, if you want another good supplier then try tasha jacks.

You won't be disappointed with either od those suppliers

what method is it that balmain use that you dont already have training in.

Hi
I was actually thinking about doing the balmain course, but then came across Km training. Was it training on the pre bonded hair extensions that you are after, if so then Km do this also, you can choose to do pre bonded instead of glue..... So that's what I am going to do.
I'm struggling to find a good hair supplier too! Would you be able to recommend some to me? I like so use 1gram pre bonded hair, preferably European remy hair. I was using extensons4u but they keep running out.
Thanks x

Hi,
none of you are getting my point,there isnt a method balmain use that im not trained in,and i definately dont need another supplier,training with KM is just like going back on myself.

I like balmain, ive been using it lately, so i thought i might do a course with them,as i believe to get the full potential of a product its good to train in it.

Thanks to all that have relpied anyway,

Kate x

Hi,
none of you are getting my point,there isnt a method balmain use that im not trained in,and i definately dont need another supplier,training with KM is just like going back on myself.

I like balmain, ive been using it lately, so i thought i might do a course with them,as i believe to get the full potential of a product its good to train in it.

Thanks to all that have relpied anyway,

Kate x

ah i see, like a conversion course to see if there are any little tips and hints that balmain reccomend for the use with their particular hair ?

ah i see, like a conversion course to see if there are any little tips and hints that balmain reccomend for the use with their particular hair ?

Yes, exactly! Hit the nail on the head,lol! thanks, i didnt know how to word it, to explain myself properly : )

Kate, as you have been doing ext for ten years, you probably have far more knowledge and experience than most trainers. Never forget, these companies exist to sell training and hair. Most companies will tell scare stories about other methods/ hair, in order that you buy theirs.
Personally I doubt if a balmain course will teach you much at this stage of your career. Take everything these companies say with a pinch of salt, as hair is big business nowadays, and they want to flog as much hair as poss.

Thanks for your reply : )

I was actually going to p.m you, as i think your probably the only 1 that can advise me on this, and your right,I think i will just save my money, and carryin on as i am,
Dont really need to waste hundreds of pounds to be told what i already know
Thankyou : )

Kate, as you have been doing ext for ten years, you probably have far more knowledge and experience than most trainers. Never forget, these companies exist to sell training and hair. Most companies will tell scare stories about other methods/ hair, in order that you buy theirs.
Personally I doubt if a balmain course will teach you much at this stage of your career. Take everything these companies say with a pinch of salt, as hair is big business nowadays, and they want to flog as much hair as poss.

If you understand the basic principles of extending hair, have an open and enquiring mind, and a willingness to try and solve new problems. You will be a far more advanced extentionist than any trainer could teach you to be.

Hi ladies,

Ive been doing Hair extensions now for around 10 years,i like to think i know pretty much everything about extensions,and Im always keeping upto date with new methods,training,new companies,hair,glues, fashions, trends, news& media etc............(everything i can)

I do most hair and beauty services/ treatments, but my main passion is hair extensions.

Ive been using quite alot of Balmain recently, alot of my lower end of the budget clients have been treating themselfs for crimbo, so i thought i would look at doing some training with them.
I always believe the best way to get the most benefits from a product is to train with them.
So i ordered an information pack, had a look, then recieved a call from a lady from balmain,who was actually a little rude about a couple of personal things, but was ok when i put her straight about them, and she apolagised.

Then She then said that she had had a look at my pics on my website,and noticed that i extend from very short, to long, and gave me a whole speach on how this "ruins" the hair,and that if i trained with them i wouldnt be able to do this?

I totally understand why she said this,and i dont extend from very short, shortest i will go is probably around shoulder length.Ive been extending hair for a long time,and i know this doesnt ruin the hair, alot of my clients have been with me for years,and there hairs are lovely. I told her this,and i also said 1 of my clients ( who is actually my mum) hair was around 3 inches short when i first started doing her extensions, now is around 12 inches,and its in brilliant condition.Which she seemed in dis-belief about?

Im all for learning from other people, hence my wanting for training, when im already experienced, and hence my love for salon geek,

I suppose my question is, is the course worth doing, or not? is there truth in what she said, and am i just being too cock-sure to listen to her? maybe im living blissfully ignorant?

Thanks,
Kate x

Kate,

I trained with Balmain, and like you thought I'd try with someone else also, but my reasoning was for another method. I really wouldn't waste your money, doesn't sound like they'll tell you anything about their products you don't already know, and then they will ring you every 3 months trying to get you to do another course.

I trained with Balmain as a complete beginner in extensions, even though I had been hairdressing for 20 years, really don't think you need it. :lol:

Thanks for your reply : )

I was actually going to p.m you, as i think your probably the only 1 that can advise me on this, and your right,I think i will just save my money, and carryin on as i am,
Dont really need to waste hundreds of pounds to be told what i already know
Thankyou : )

I used to be (and shortly returning) an educator for Balmain. The only extra training you would need is for Double hair, IF you were wanting to take that route. I, personally, love DH and really resist doing individual full heads now. Dawn is right, by doing the Colour and design course, you will learn nothing new. You would, though, learn the background of the hair source etc. What you probably need is a course more tailored to the switch, if you were wanting to use DH.

If it is just information on the history, sourcing etc. I can help you out. Either via PM or you could sit in when I next train my girls, in the new year. I'm only down the road from you in Bridlington.

I must admit, Balmain are very insistent on the 'double the visual length' rule, as I am too. This is mainly because if the rule is broken and the client can't manage the hair, the client tends to blame the product. If you feel you were treated rudely, then pop a letter in the post to them. They are generally a very approachable company, with a family run feel, and I am not saying this because I have invested interest! They treated well before I worked for them, as a consumer, and well as an employee and since. I know the directors would be unhappy to hear you felt inappropriately treated. :)

I used to be (and shortly returning) an educator for Balmain. The only extra training you would need is for Double hair, IF you were wanting to take that route. I, personally, love DH and really resist doing individual full heads now. Dawn is right, by doing the Colour and design course, you will learn nothing new. You would, though, learn the background of the hair source etc. What you probably need is a course more tailored to the switch, if you were wanting to use DH.

If it is just information on the history, sourcing etc. I can help you out. Either via PM or you could sit in when I next train my girls, in the new year. I'm only down the road from you in Bridlington.

I must admit, Balmain are very insistent on the 'double the visual length' rule, as I am too. This is mainly because if the rule is broken and the client can't manage the hair, the client tends to blame the product. If you feel you were treated rudely, then pop a letter in the post to them. They are generally a very approachable company, with a family run feel, and I am not saying this because I have invested interest! They treated well before I worked for them, as a consumer, and well as an employee and since. I know the directors would be unhappy to hear you felt inappropriately treated. :)

Hi,
thats really kind of you thankyou!
The "double" rule is new to me, and i do like it, and do now always keep it in the back of my head.
I suppose i just wanted to know all about Balmian, as i have been using it, and hate to think i could be asked a question i dont know,and just for my own curiosity.
Kate x

Kate,

I trained with Balmain, and like you thought I'd try with someone else also, but my reasoning was for another method. I really wouldn't waste your money, doesn't sound like they'll tell you anything about their products you don't already know, and then they will ring you every 3 months trying to get you to do another course.

I trained with Balmain as a complete beginner in extensions, even though I had been hairdressing for 20 years, really don't think you need it. :lol:
Thanks for that, think ill save my money : ) xx

The only benefit of doing balmain training is they will guarentee the hair for 6 months ,ONLY if you have done the relevant training course! That is it really!!

hi
i did my training with balmain with the colour and design course and double hair, i found the back ground information really helpful when discussing with clients the need for using the special balmain products on the extension...havin worn hair extensions myself i dont no how i wud of coped with them with out little tips they told me to tell clients ie platting the hair at night and the amazing brush...which i now use everday even tho i have no extensions in.

the double hair is Amazing even on very thick hair.

im sure each company has its own tips and recomendations

please could you pm me with where u get hair from because i do find sometime the balmain hair is expensive!!

xxx

The only benefit of doing balmain training is they will guarentee the hair for 6 months ,ONLY if you have done the relevant training course! That is it really!!

That is not strictly the only benefit. :)

If you are going to solely use Balmain hair, you will receive a wealth of knowledge about the product/s and fantastic background knowledge that you would not get just by going into Sallys and buying the hair. As far as I am aware, they will honour the guarantee IF the client has followed the aftercare advice to the letter.
Have you had a bad experience regarding the guarantee? :)

Hi ladies,

Thanks,
Kate x

My best advise is if you dont feel comfortable then dont do it.
Its a known fact that you can extend short hair.
Whats more important is the placement and installation of each and every extension.
EXAMPLE: THAT THERE NOT INSTALLED TOO TIGHT AND TOO CLOSE TO THE SCALP.

Latest posts

Back